Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 04:10 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,650,295 times

Advertisements

I wish we had something for humans. I hate using Frontline on my dog but two years ago after a walk he came back covered with ticks. We were pulling them off with tweezers but there were so many that we ended up taking him to the vet. The vet pulled off 20 more! And the dog tested positive for Lyme Disease.

Doggie was then given the Lyme Disease vaccine but will always test positive for it. He's healthy though, no lasting effects.

Where I live they say to wear socks and tuck your pants in and always check all over every time you've been outside. That's kind of impossible though. In summer I'm wearing shorts or a skirt and sandals. I don't think I've ever had a tick on me but it's scary to think about. There was a spray product at the garden center the other day that's supposed to be for bugs. It was developed by the fisherman around here because they deal with the bug problem. I think the main ingredient is cedar. Must check into that. It may be more for the horrible gigantic biting black flies that come in August but maybe it will work for ticks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 10:46 PM

32,915 posts, read 36,310,068 times
>>>Permethrin<<< You want this. https://sawyer.com/products/permethr...ect-repellent/
You can get it at WalMart and some sporting goods stores like Dick's. Don't spray it on your skin. Treat your clothing. Spray your shoes, socks and pants. I also turn the pants inside out and spray the lower 12" of the leg. If you don't want to tuck your pant legs into your socks, get something like this: Amazon.com: Black Elastic Blousing Garters Set: Military Blousing Straps: Clothing

I've been infected with two tickborne diseases and been chiggered a few times (once was enough), and I won't go out into hostile territory without it.

Old 06-13-2017, 07:05 AM

2 posts, read 1,528 times
I've wondered this every time I have put Frontline on my dog or cat. I live in Tennessee and the mosquitos eat me alive. I've used all of the bug sprays, people sprays, candles, listerine, and all of the the products that are supposed to deter them. I have a new porch and would love to sit on it without being eaten alive by mosquitos.

Old 06-13-2017, 08:35 AM

37,092 posts, read 41,220,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleague View Post
I've wondered this every time I have put Frontline on my dog or cat. I live in Tennessee and the mosquitos eat me alive. I've used all of the bug sprays, people sprays, candles, listerine, and all of the the products that are supposed to deter them. I have a new porch and would love to sit on it without being eaten alive by mosquitos.
Have you considered having a lawn care company treat your yard for mosquitoes? Also, you need to remove any container that can collect water for them to breed in.

Old 06-13-2017, 11:43 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,119,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleague View Post
Here is one good link that shows potential problem areas around your house: Mosquito Facts | Placer Mosquito and Vector Control District. Mosquitos do not travel very far from water. Of course many people do not have control of all the property around their own homes.

Old 06-14-2017, 09:56 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,417,066 times
They came out with a Lyme vaccine at one point that worked in a similar way to Frontline. It ended up making a lot of people sick. It was pulled off the market at the FDA's request because of that.

Old 06-14-2017, 10:00 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,417,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
>>>Permethrin<<< You want this. https://sawyer.com/products/permethr...ect-repellent/
You can get it at WalMart and some sporting goods stores like Dick's. Don't spray it on your skin. Treat your clothing. Spray your shoes, socks and pants. I also turn the pants inside out and spray the lower 12" of the leg. If you don't want to tuck your pant legs into your socks, get something like this: Amazon.com: Black Elastic Blousing Garters Set: Military Blousing Straps: Clothing

I've been infected with two tickborne diseases and been chiggered a few times (once was enough), and I won't go out into hostile territory without it.
Permethrin is great to treat clothes. To spray yourself, use a repellent with Picaridin in it. It will repel mosquitoes, ticks, chiggers, etc. DEET is really only effective on mosquitoes. Skin So Soft makes a good one. You can buy it on Amazon or the Avon website. You can find Permethrin on Amazon or at camping supply stores.

I am treating Lyme right now, and trust me, you don't want it. This is what I use for prevention now.

Old 06-29-2017, 06:24 AM

2 posts, read 1,528 times
Thanks for the responses and suggestions about the mosquitos in Tennessee. I will try the things that were suggested. I appreciate the person that noted we do not always have a say about the water around us. Most of the people on my road have livestock which means lots of ponds. There is one in sight of my house. It is beautiful but I am sure that is where many of my mosquitos come from.

Old 06-29-2017, 07:35 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,746,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Hubby finally sold his grill. He just can't be out in the yard for more than 5 minutes without the chriggers attacking him all over. In our yard, they live in our rocks, not our grass.
Nita, not sure if I ever recommended this, but did you ever try applying diatomaceous earth to the places the chiggers are hanging out?

Old 06-30-2017, 01:39 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,729,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Something we hunters use is Sawyer Insect Repellent. It's sprayed on your clothes and is marketed to last through 6 washings. It is not to be applied to your skin.

Sawyer® Products - Water Filtration, Insect Repellent, Sunscreens and More
that also must be highly dangerous for health....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness