Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2012, 05:20 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,286,610 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had this surgery, especially on their dominant arm? I would like to hear about your post surgical experience, recovery time and if there were complications. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2015, 10:56 AM

1 posts, read 2,183 times
I know this was years ago but it may help others perhaps?

I had subcutaneous ulnar nerve transposition 3 weeks ago as nerve was subluxing over bone for over 5 yearsin dominant arm.
I'm 27, F, in good health.

Nerve conduction study showed problems a good distance above and below elbow.

After general anaesthesia arm was in half cast soft compression wrap at 45 degrees ish for 4 days. Anaesthetic made me vomit liquid and anything else for 24hrs and anti nausea iv meds did not help.
once home day one was ok, day 3 and pain meds were starting to make me bad, heart pounding, nausea, hyper, fainting etc so stopped. Splint changed and hollowed out at elbow lots as could not bare any touch there at all! At the same time swelling was getting worse, elevation was damned near impossible as couldn't even rest arm on pillow without excruciating pain.
Arm now so swollen and in so much pain eith no meds to help, mouth full or sores, swollen neck, sore throat, ear pops, couldn't get comfortable to sleep, was not feeling myself and was distressed over everything.

Eventually at about day 10 swelling was down mostly and pain was only localized to elbow upon flexion. Still numbness in 4th and 5th fingers and bottom of forearm and elbow area. But also now top of back of hand!??

Now am at day 18. Overall numbness gradually subsiding although still very present.
Biggest worry is no progress in ROM on flexion at elbow. I can straighten arm, but cannot still get more than 70 degrees without a lot of localized pain at the side of elbow. Like something is stopping it. I hope it's just internal scarring. PT is amazing and is helping in most other aspects.

I also have insomnia now. Initially I couldn't sleep well due to pain, now I'm reasonably comfortable and tired etc but sleep never kicks in so to speak. Before last night I had been awake solidly for 60 hours. Dr prescribed Risperdine as thought I was becoming manic. I have no idea what is happening to my body and brain right now.

In terms of coping with daily tasks, couldn't use arm for anything for about 4 days, then grip with first 3 fingers got ok, by 9 days could twist door know, hold object and carry them so long as not very heavy.
hardest obstacles: cleaning teeth, eating if not at table, doing hair!!! Getting jeans fastened, obviously driving is out, squeezing spots lmao, tying shoes, bras - so nice baggy tops help especially as getting them on and off is fun. Opening packets etc. But finding ways around these are fun in my opinion, get creative, be prepared and ask for help!!

Some small notes/observations. . Pinky finger now pops so to speak as bend it.
Also feels tight and kinda fat but not swollen particularly.
Have a coin sized bump under wrist when flex hand up.
arm seems to have become wonky. Ie when straight, it isn't 0 degrees, It tapers at elbow at 10 degrees outward.

Overall, I would rather surgery over permanent nerve damage any day, but do your research, find a respectable orthopaedic surgeon and or physical therapist in that field. And ask as many questions as you can think of. And expect dicomfort. But don't stop movement.

Best of luck chaps and chapettes, I myself am off for a very large pizza.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness