Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 10:22 AM

1 posts, read 3,953 times

Advertisements

I went to a walk in emergency places,after I had used Debrox,for a few days,ears were plugged with wax,long story short... Right ear was fine,left one when she was cleaning it,was hurting like crazy,she used a lot of water pressure,I trusted she knew what she was doing! Big mistake! Ended up going to ENT,because of ringing in that ear,after test,have hearing loss in that ear& tinnitus,that I now have to live with! So upset!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 07:14 PM

78 posts, read 228,995 times
A few years ago, i tilted my head in the shower. Then water was stuck in my ear. Just like when you get water in your ear at the swimming pool, i stood and tried to knock the water out. It was a problem for several days-- went and tried OTC solutions, peroxide, etc.

Went to an ENT, where the nurse used the machine to get a huge piece (it took a while too) out. Then voila, unclogged.

Old 02-12-2014, 04:37 AM

1 posts, read 3,530 times
Home remedy I found worked on me - recipe i used is below. There's lots of advice out there so whatever you choose to do be careful - avoid doing harm. This method meant i could do it myself without risking busy nurse (watching the clock and not wanting to repeat too many times whilst other duties await) squirting water too hard at ear drum, causing damage (shortsightedly fixing the wax problem, but causing you a hearing problem). I did this after the attempt by nurse left clumps of wax in the ear more awkward than before and rather than go back and pay more for surly service, I decided I'd do it myself.

PREPARATION:
I bought water irrigating special syringe - 3 prong holes so it directs liquid to sides of ear canal (eg. Earclear Ear Syringe - there is another brand i saw also) - and when that special end is fitted it can't directly hit water at the drum at end of ear canal.
Warm water (avoid too cold and avoid too hot or may make your feel dizzy/sick) – at approx. body temperature. Mix with ½ teaspoon of super-fine (sea) salt. Stir in a large cup of water.
wristwatch on/cellph timer nearby

Squirted into ear gently myself so can stop if necessary. (optional – hold ear up a bit by pulling outside ear top up – may get canal kink to straighten slightly. I didn’t find it made much difference). This soothed the itch of impacted wax and I could rotate the syringe to get the canal sides I needed. Allowed the warm mix to soak for 5 mins. Leaned ear other way and tipped out water. Some wax may emerge too; wax gets melted by warmth of water and floats out when tipped my head. Repeat if necessary. (if too hard, leave it for day and try again next day).

Positioning that worked for this:
• kneel, leaning forward onto the bathtub with 2x towels under knees.
• Or stand in shower, or over bathroom sink (may be bit messier). For that one, keep head mostly upright – lean head away so ear fills up, then tilt to get water to leave.
• Or keep ear pointed down so water goes straight out - no warmth effect then though, as drips straight out again.

Did this first thing in morning before shower.

Afterwards:
Go outside on sunny day. Allow ear to dehumidify (get water out) by wind extracting the water from the canal bit by bit. This could take an hour or so. If sunny, could happen quicker. (optional – occasionally hold ear up a bit by pulling outside ear top up – may get canal kink to straighten slightly). Don’t get sunburnt though. Wear hat, shades and read a book. Hair dryer pointed sideways past ear on low heat may work to draw out moisture apparently. When ears have not much wax at all you want to dry them out asap as they can be prone to 'swimmers ear' if left wet for too long (ie. apparently water can gets into skin without waxy protection and its not healthy - can lead to bacterial infection in canal skin requiring a Drs visit).

Old 02-12-2014, 06:25 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,127,242 times
I've had success with over the counter ear wax removal kits, they look like this one.
http://www.drug3k.com/img4/ear_14665_12_%28big%29_.jpeg

Old 02-12-2014, 11:53 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,522,149 times
Ear candles are a HOAX. Not only that, they're dangerous. My brother burned his ear canal and eardrum with one and is now permanently hearing impaired because of it.

You aren't seeing ear wax come out of the candle - you are seeing CANDLE wax. Those things are terrible. Stay away from them. QUACK QUACK! lol

Old 02-12-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I've had success with over the counter ear wax removal kits, they look like this one.
http://www.drug3k.com/img4/ear_14665_12_%28big%29_.jpeg
Yep, those feel good too! I do this a couple of times a year.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
I won't claim that it's "safe" as you are literally playing with fire. I'm not sure that I would call it a gimick though. I did see the wax with my own eyes (fortunately no bugs), and I know a room full of people who witnesses it being done and saw the ear wax in the candle too. These are people that just wouldn't make this stuff up.

But, I understand scepticism, and I would never push someone to try something they aren't comfortable with.
Think about it. You're burning a candle. The candle creates a wax that (get this!) is the same color as ear wax! Where does the candle wax go?

You're not looking at ear wax, you're looking at candle wax when you use one of these (very dangerous) ear candles.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:03 PM

Interesting tidbit - did you know that there are two different types of ear wax? One type is dry and one type is gooey. This is a genetic trait, so the person who said their three Asian daughters all have that type of ear wax is right on the money.

I had some genetic testing done, and believe it or not, they could tell that I have the dry form of ear wax - from my DNA!

Also, someone asked if anyone else has ear and sinus issues. Several people in our family do in fact. We have smaller than average ear canals, sinus cavities, and even the roofs of our mouth are very narrow. It's weird because you'd think you could tell something about that from the outside but our faces and ears look completely normal - LOL. Anyway, yes, we are prone to sinus infections as well as ear infections, and they often happen simultaneously. Also, anytime my throat gets sore, I get an earache. And we also sneeze more than average (believe it or not, this showed up as a genetic trait as well!).

Old 01-15-2016, 10:26 PM

22,622 posts, read 24,466,288 times
DON'T put a q-tip into the ear canal.

Liquid soap will break-up all that wax....you have to let it soak for a while, then rinse.

Old 01-15-2016, 11:48 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,531,430 times
I have spent the latter half of the afternoon lying on the couch in two different positions, using peroxide. My left ear still has the 'water' from the peroxide, and it's driving me crazy. It's like a water bubble in there. I'm going to sleep on my right side tonight and hope it drains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness