U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2012, 01:30 PM

943 posts, read 1,550,322 times

Advertisements

My son has Lyme disease.. he just told me he had an MRI last week and his doctor called to tell him to go back and get contrast dye and do it again
because there was a section of his brain that didn't look normal.

My heart is broken hearing this.

Any experience anyone out there. This sounds very bad. My son..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 03:09 PM

8,872 posts, read 13,499,615 times
I had this done. It's not painful and they only avoid using the dye to start with because some people are allergic to it. To allay your fears as much as one possibly could not knowing your son, my situation turned out to be nothing.

Please be calm. I also know from experience that being ill is not helped by having to constantly reassure your loved ones. Your confidence will help him deal with whatever his issue is. I wish him (and you) all the best.

Old 07-14-2012, 03:17 PM

483 posts, read 735,051 times
I had a brain MRI with contrast done a few months ago and the test itself isn't a big deal. They will place an IV catheter in his arm and inject the dye through it. I didn't even feel anything while they were injecting it. He will need to drink a bit more water than usual to flush the dye out. Your son and your family are in my prayers.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:54 PM

14,763 posts, read 31,184,527 times
I had a intravenous embolization done yesterday which involved lots of contrast. I can be hard on the kidneys, but I think the only people that have problems are the ones with bad kidneys to begin with. Has his kidney function ever been checked?

Old 07-14-2012, 06:08 PM

943 posts, read 1,550,322 times
Default you are all great peeps.

He has been going to a doctor in the Boston area.. someone who has had a lot of experience
with Lyme. My son and his wife both have it, (it has lingering for a few years now).
It comes and goes in cycles but exhausts them and they have two small children.
The doctor has put them both on high doses of Vit C but I do not have any other details..
I will know more tomorrow when we speak, and am very appreciative for your info &
kindness.

I know, there is a lot I cannot answer just yet. All of the comments
are helpful in that I am getting familiarized and understand not to think the worst.

Not sure about the kidney question.. will know more soon.
I'll keep you posted but am grateful for the input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness