Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 11:05 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,346,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Try the Hearos blue ear-plugs, they are very soft and comfy and come with the highest noise reduction rating(NRR) of all in-ear earplugs. It takes a little getting used to, but man the sense of quiet and isolation when you have earplugs and a blindfold makes sleeping much deeper and refreshing.
Side sleeper here, but perhaps other late-nighters searching for a solution will find them helpful. I'm just mask searching. Thanks Tick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 04:32 AM

12 posts, read 21,422 times
I am Andrew in Australia with cerebral palsy. I have tried a number of masks. Are BibBon better I'm thinking of trying one? Which masks are the best?

Old 10-02-2012, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Short View Post
I am Andrew in Australia with cerebral palsy. I have tried a number of masks. Are BibBon better I'm thinking of trying one? Which masks are the best?
Hiya Andrew...

Welcome to the board & the Society of Troubled Sleepers. Never heard of BibBon, but googled & it looks like an Etsy shop. They look fine to me, a bit pricey. Sad fact with many is you need to wear it 1-2 nights before you can tell if it's the best fit... & everyone's face differs... which is why I'm probably not the only one who has 3-4 of them. I'm still on the search for a better one.

I'm going to be making my own soon. Have a few buttery soft leather remnants left over & will test it out. My favorite is no longer available (from gaiam.com), so if I find something comparable, I'll surely post back.

Best of luck. Try the BibBon if they'll accept a return from you. At $35+, it's a lot to test out.

Old 10-07-2012, 04:00 PM

Some of the Dream essentials masks are better than others and DE have great customer service but i have not found the perfect mask. Bucky are decent but slip around quite a bit? I wonder who in Australia custom makes them? With Bibbon shr nt some sample materials which got lost in the post!

Are they masks that always stay on all night?

Old 10-08-2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Some of the Dream essentials masks are better than others and DE have great customer service but i have not found the perfect mask.
I have a DE mask, which is currently my favorite, but I'm still on the lookout for something better & more comfortable. My problem with many of them is the velcro closure, which although makes it nice to adjust, gets stuck in my hair every night.

Quote:
Bucky are decent but slip around quite a bit? I wonder who in Australia custom makes them? With Bibbon shr nt some sample materials which got lost in the post!
Never heard of Bucky, but I just pulled up some on Google & they are cheaper than many. I do like the sunglasses shape, which might fit easier over the nose area. Sometimes cheaper means the materials aren't as nice, however, but when buying online we don't know until we have it in our hot little hands.

I prefer the ones with elastic all the way around (sans velcro), but since they can't be adjusted easily & eventually stretch out (I've had to cut & sew them myself after a bit), they're few & far between. Guess most people opt not to purchase them.

Quote:
Are they masks that always stay on all night?
I don't have a problem with them staying on, but I also have a lot of hair & it's long which might make a difference, depending upon how much tightness one needs with the headband. We all differ... sleeping positions & sleep habits (tossing & turning) might render some useless, hence the use of velcro in most to tighten them up. I'm always trying to find one sans velcro... all my masks have some of my ripped out hair intermingled with it.

I did a cursory search for masks in AU & didn't find much, but there has to be something. I suppose it might be easier to determine which material you'd like first (satin, cotton, silk), then search. For instance, I have one terry cloth mask (got it at a beauty supply shop for just a few $)... it's my least favorite as I don't like the feeling of a towel on my eyes... it just feels weird. I save it for trips, as I've accidentally left my favorite one behind in a hotel years ago & the retailer doesn't carry it any longer.

Perhaps if you can first find someone nearby who sews they could custom make a mask for you? There are patterns online for free, but they could also use a mask you currently use as a base to make their own pattern. Not sure if that's too much work, but if you're like me, my quest for a better mask never ends.

As I said in another post, I'm going to make my own soon, trying various methods & materials. I'm not an ace sewer, but it is worth a try, since I'm frustrated at not having the optimal eye mask. Since I'm in the process of packing to move in 3-wks, it should be near Christmas when I've the time, but I will let you know how that worked out & pass on any helpful hints to you, in the event you can find a tailor.

I understand your frustration, but I guess as most of us who've posted here, we've all experienced that as troubled sleepers. Best of luck!

Old 10-08-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
I have a DE mask, which is currently my favorite, but I'm still on the lookout for something better & more comfortable. My problem with many of them is the velcro closure, which although makes it nice to adjust, gets stuck in my hair every night.

Never heard of Bucky, but I just pulled up some on Google & they are cheaper than many. I do like the sunglasses shape, which might fit easier over the nose area. Sometimes cheaper means the materials aren't as nice, however, but when buying online we don't know until we have it in our hot little hands.

I prefer the ones with elastic all the way around (sans velcro), but since they can't be adjusted easily & eventually stretch out (I've had to cut & sew them myself after a bit), they're few & far between. Guess most people opt not to purchase them.

I don't have a problem with them staying on, but I also have a lot of hair & it's long which might make a difference, depending upon how much tightness one needs with the headband. We all differ... sleeping positions & sleep habits (tossing & turning) might render some useless, hence the use of velcro in most to tighten them up. I'm always trying to find one sans velcro... all my masks have some of my ripped out hair intermingled with it.

I did a cursory search for masks in AU & didn't find much, but there has to be something. I suppose it might be easier to determine which material you'd like first (satin, cotton, silk), then search. For instance, I have one terry cloth mask (got it at a beauty supply shop for just a few $)... it's my least favorite as I don't like the feeling of a towel on my eyes... it just feels weird. I save it for trips, as I've accidentally left my favorite one behind in a hotel years ago & the retailer doesn't carry it any longer.

Perhaps if you can first find someone nearby who sews they could custom make a mask for you? There are patterns online for free, but they could also use a mask you currently use as a base to make their own pattern. Not sure if that's too much work, but if you're like me, my quest for a better mask never ends.

As I said in another post, I'm going to make my own soon, trying various methods & materials. I'm not an ace sewer, but it is worth a try, since I'm frustrated at not having the optimal eye mask. Since I'm in the process of packing to move in 3-wks, it should be near Christmas when I've the time, but I will let you know how that worked out & pass on any helpful hints to you, in the event you can find a tailor.

I understand your frustration, but I guess as most of us who've posted here, we've all experienced that as troubled sleepers. Best of luck!
So do I try the Gaiam one if it ever comes again! I find velcro easier to adjust. Anyone tried peeper sleeper?
They are in US so air shipping but take returns.

Old 10-26-2012, 03:09 AM

Default Opulence from Dream Essentials

hae you tried that?

Old 10-26-2012, 08:25 PM

Quote:
hae you tried that?
Yes, I have one Dream Essentials Opulence. It's the most comfortable I have so far, out of all my rather inferior masks... still looking for better, which is why I have a small collection. Overall, I think I need to go up in price to get a better fit & comfort.

Don't like? Velcro on strap which pulls out my hair. The material on the inside of the mask is cheap cotton which pills after only a few months. It feels awful on my eyes, but I do my best to ignore it. Not sure why this happened... handwash it too often?... too much friction when sleeping?

How are you doing with your choices so far?

Old 10-28-2012, 04:45 PM

Default Opulence

I ordered it to try.But by Christmas an an organic bedding company here will send me something to try. So Gaiam was the best until it stopped being made?

Old 10-28-2012, 05:01 PM

Default one from Oz

Maybe in the new year you could order an Organic mask from down under!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness