Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 07:55 PM

373 posts, read 1,472,113 times

Advertisements

Okay.

I know this is going to sound nuts but I thought someone out there might have experienced this or know why it might be.

I have always had a GINORMUS sweet tooth. If you asked all my friends one thing about me, they would all say, "DESSERT".

Anyway, long story short. A while back I started having trouble sleeping. I'm not a huge drinker but I started having a glass of wine before I went to bed to help me sleep. Within a week or two my sweet tooth disappeared.

Maybe I've just stumbled on a new weight loss plan. Well, only if they start making zero calorie wine.

Any ideas why this might be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 10:48 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,400,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCruzes View Post
Okay.

I know this is going to sound nuts but I thought someone out there might have experienced this or know why it might be.

I have always had a GINORMUS sweet tooth. If you asked all my friends one thing about me, they would all say, "DESSERT".

Anyway, long story short. A while back I started having trouble sleeping. I'm not a huge drinker but I started having a glass of wine before I went to bed to help me sleep. Within a week or two my sweet tooth disappeared.

Maybe I've just stumbled on a new weight loss plan. Well, only if they start making zero calorie wine.

Any ideas why this might be?
Alcohol = sugar

Old 10-02-2007, 04:10 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,352,184 times
Yes, alcohol breaks down into sugar.

I used to have a big sweet tooth, but then I began taking chromium picolanate, 200 mcg a day. It cured my cravings. I don't take it as much now, and I do eat so much less than I did years ago. When I was 21 I used to bake cookies and eat them for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Now I am just eat two chocolate covered caramels a day, and I think that is too much.

I tried the wine but it didn't help me sleep.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:48 AM

448 posts, read 1,050,068 times
Maybe your sweet tooth was more related to your insomnia or vise versa. There have been several articles in the news lately reporting lack of sleep makes you tend to gain weight.

Old 10-02-2007, 08:47 AM

373 posts, read 1,472,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
Alcohol = sugar
Yes, I realize alcohol = sugar but what would different about the sugar produced by the wine that would eliminate the sugar cravings. I mean they went away completed not that they were temporarily satisfied after I drank the wine.

Old 10-02-2007, 12:12 PM

48 posts, read 208,536 times
I have realized this too. There are times when I drink red wine, especially on vacations when I'm free from responsibility. At that time I have absolutely no interest in sweets. When I'm back at work or school and cut off the wine, I'm back to the sweets. Alcohol is a sugar that digests fast like sugar, in fact the body will process alcohol first. I've heard if you cut out sugar, simple starches (like white bread), and caffeine you will dramatically cut down your cravings for sweets and alcohol.

Old 10-03-2007, 05:06 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,340,727 times
I might be wrong on this but...

When you have a glass of wine your tongue taste the sugar and sends to your liver which registers "YOU ARE HAVING SUGAR" ... thus substituting the sweets you normally would eat.

I have low blood sugar and I have to watch out for this ...... because even if you do not have sugar your body will register it as you had it pulling the sugar from your blood (weight loss) and then your sugar levels drop ............ might be grumpy , feeling very tired ... even go as far as passing out ........

I craved sweets before my low blood sugar "acted up on me"

Old 10-06-2007, 12:03 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,639,213 times
From what I have read, more protein in the diet is supposed to help cut down on those sugar cravings. Works for me. I have a protein shake every morning and don't eat until 1 or 2 pm, have my main meal. Then something light at dinner (salad), but with some protein (i.e. turkey or cheese, etc.).

Old 05-21-2016, 05:48 AM

28 posts, read 37,031 times
even CRAZIER ...if I have so much as one glass of RED wine I have such strong sugar cravings that I actually get in the car and drive to the nearest store for candy, cookies or whatever to satisfy those cravings!! It almost seems uncontrollable!! So now, in addition to not having any of those things in the house, I had to rid myself of any red wine....what's that about??!

Old 05-23-2016, 12:00 AM

17 posts, read 28,763 times
I have tried alcohol before going to bed and I woke up at midnight feeling uneasy. Feeling like burning in my stomach. Doesn't sound a good option for me..
Burning sensation in stomach, burning stomach causes and natural home remedies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness