Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 08:50 AM

659 posts, read 1,014,636 times

Advertisements

My Dad has been suffering from Anemia for the past few months. First he was going in for blood infusions, now he is doing Iron infusions, usually 2 hours a week. Well apparently his iron is not going up, so on Thursday he is going in for a 7 hour infusion.

Obviously the first thing I think about is leukemia, but the doctor doesn't think it is. Think?? Should a Doctor know for sure of not?

I am really worried, my dad has a and heart and his feet and legs are swollen all the time now in spite of taking diuretics. He is out of breath all the time, weak and tired. My Dad is 83 years old! Yeah I know. It's so sad because I have 2 little girls and afraid he wont be around to see them grow up.

Has anyone heard of a condition that would be causing this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 01:10 PM

7,126 posts, read 12,665,237 times
Not to worry you, but most of those symptoms could be caused by congestive heart failure...which is slow, progressive disease. Not sure about the anemia, though--that could be a different issue....have you asked your Dad's primary care provider--or your Dad--if he has congestive heart failure?

Old 07-25-2012, 01:20 PM

He has had several heart attacks and about 5 open heart surgeries. His heart is in very bad shape and we are all aware of it. He was told not much else they can do to help, his arteries are too calcified.

But now this severe anemia has cropped up. I asked my step mom if they thought it the doctors thought it was leukemia and the doctors didn't seem to think so. I think they are sending him to a hematologist, but he goes in for a 7 hour infusion tomorrow. it sounds like some form of cancer to me and my step mother, I just don't know why doctors cant figure it out or because of his advanced age, they aren't really looking that hard.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:34 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,876,420 times
I agree with the above post, it sounds like CHF. The anemia could be caused by anything (including some sort of internal bleeding) The fatigue and the swollen areas are part of the bad heart most probably. My MIL had to go for blood transfusions all the time because of anemia. When she died it was due to excessive bleeding ulcers.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:56 PM

If you Google CHF, you'll find that anemia often goes hand-in-hand with this:

Heart Failure - Anemia

Old 07-25-2012, 02:54 PM

well thats bad news, but then he is 83. I don't know what I expected, but that's life. When my Dad dies, I have nobody, this is the problem when a father remarries and when has babies late in life.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:44 PM

You have my complete understanding...it's very rough...I lost my Mom to congestive failure at 80, then my Dad, also 80, six months later to a heart attack. We always believe our parents will live forever and it's so hard for us when they don't...since my parents died, I've made a family out of friends...and my best friend is my DH. But I miss my parents and speak to them in my mind so often...if you love someone, they never really die, they live on in our hearts. Be strong to help your Dad through this passage...and be very kind to yourself right now.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:48 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ming Ming View Post
He has had several heart attacks and about 5 open heart surgeries. His heart is in very bad shape and we are all aware of it. He was told not much else they can do to help, his arteries are too calcified.

But now this severe anemia has cropped up. I asked my step mom if they thought it the doctors thought it was leukemia and the doctors didn't seem to think so. I think they are sending him to a hematologist, but he goes in for a 7 hour infusion tomorrow. it sounds like some form of cancer to me and my step mother, I just don't know why doctors cant figure it out or because of his advanced age, they aren't really looking that hard.
Go to WEBMD pretty good symptom identification....But you'll know for sure when his Dr. diagnosis him. Spend your time w/ him.....not worrying. Research foods that are rich in iron...83 is a long life....Lucky to have him. Prayers going out to you. Keep us posted.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:54 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
If your Dad is being treated with iron, then he has been diagnosed with iron deficiency anemia, because that is the only type of anemia that can be treated with iron.

He should also be evaluated to determine the cause of the iron deficiency, which is usually blood loss. Sometimes such blood loss can be occult - hidden - and loss in the stool is one of the most common ways for that to happen. Colon cancer can do it. So while the anemia is being treated, the source of the blood loss must be found and treated. If he continues to lose blood, no amount of iron is going to work. Its like trying to fill a leaky bucket wit water.

A symptom of severe anemia from any cause is fatigue, and severe anemia can precipitate heart failure, especially in someone who already has heart disease.

So the big question is, "Why does he have iron deficiency." Answer that, and the treatment should produce quick results.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:02 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,357,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ming Ming View Post
well thats bad news, but then he is 83. I don't know what I expected, but that's life. When my Dad dies, I have nobody, this is the problem when a father remarries and when has babies late in life.
I know what you mean... I lost both of my parents in my early 20s. My dad was 52 when I was born and my mom was 38. They both died from cancer.

I do have a large family, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness