Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 08:13 PM

417 posts, read 1,281,731 times

Advertisements

Thank you for getting back.

Wow, Gastroesophageal reflux disease in a 3 year old!!! My, todays kids are coming down with what were previously thought to be adult diseases.

Do let us know what the blood work reveals.

At least he is eating. Here are some tips I found online at Gastroesophageal reflux disease Information on Healthline

Treatment

General measures include:

* Weight reduction
* Avoiding lying down after meals
* Sleeping with the head of the bed elevated
* Taking medication with plenty of water
* Avoiding dietary fat, chocolate, caffeine, peppermint (they may cause lower esophageal pressure)
* Avoiding alcohol and tobacco

You know this means he can't have that glass of wine and cigar after dinner. Just kidding!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 10:35 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,440,298 times
Yahoo.... That is Great News.

Old 10-05-2007, 05:53 AM

3,256 posts, read 8,899,130 times
I'm glad everything is ok. All the best.

Old 10-06-2007, 12:05 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,339,338 times
we find out Monday what his blood test show ..

I worked in daycares were newer born children were being dianosed with it .. severe spitting up colicy babies

Old 10-07-2007, 03:30 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,346,950 times
The doctor tried to give me something for my GURD. It upset my stomach more and gave me headaches. I went off it immediately and began drinking raw vinegar with honey in a glass of water. It cured my GURD. I say this just in case.

Old 10-07-2007, 08:59 PM

558 posts, read 2,248,242 times
Our daughter was diagnosed with this at age 22 mos., and it was so bad that at one point the doctor wanted us to consider surgery...they tighten the bottom of the esophagus...but when they told us she would never be able to throw up (something we thought would be awful if she was really sick and needed to empty her stomach), we decided against it.

She has pretty much outgrown the problem, other than the ability to out-burp everyone in the family!! BTW - she also had terrible asthma, and they said the GURD was aggravating it. She vomited a LOT and I guess some of the vomit was getting into her lungs. It was scary, but she is fine now.

Old 10-07-2007, 09:28 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,449,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2beamissourian View Post
I know some of this is normal but ...

Childs age - 3 years old
Will drink milk
Will not touch hardly food at all

heres an example of his day
2 bites of oatmeal (if u can call them bites)
2 cups of milk
........last night I purchased those dannon Smoothies for kids - he drank one

Day before
2 cups of milk
bite of a granola bar

3 days ago
2 cups of milk

4 days ago
Nothing

Any type of food he will say no i dont want any

July he went to the dr for his check up ....dr was concerned he lost weight 3 lbs at that time ......dr suggest giving him ensure - he says its YUK Milk

he is bruising and the bruises Do not go away

Last night I offered candy - he said no thanks

this is a child that normally would eat carrots for a snack ate very well and all at once just stopped eating

This is my grandson ........and my daughter in law is calling the doctor when they open today. I do understand children go through fazes - I think this is more than a faze ....... hes wore out hes tired his eyes have dark circles ...
I had him in Walmart in the toy isle and put him down and said what do you want to look at ....... he wanted to be held and laid his head down - this child LOVES monster trucks and would of been all over it ....... nothing not even interested acted to tired to care!

(I am a early childhood educator as well ..so I have seen picky)

He has asthma and I suggested to do a treatment last night ...... he has a little cough ......
Milk from a cow is hardly a health food and candy is even worse! I would go to a health food store and try to find some Odwalla juice that has sea veggies and juiced green veggies but is mixed into fruit juice that tastes mostly like Orange Juice. In the mean time make sure he eats NO SNACKS between meals.

My sister was shoving snacks at my nephew when he was 2.5 years old and then she would get all stressed out that he wasn't eating at meal time. It turned out he just WAS NOT HUNGRY. You also have to give your child REAL FOOD NOT JUNK. It probably would not be the end of the world if you just let your child fast for a while giving him only water for a half a day or a day. Then when he is hungry give him only REAL VEGETABLES and occasionally a fruit.

STAY AWAY FROM COOKIES, SWEETS< ICE CREAM, CANDY and PRESERVATIVES in commercial foods. Give your child everything HOME MADE - NO MIXES.

In the meantime get in touch with the nearest experienced Naturopathic Doctor (NOT ANOTHER MEDICAL DOCTOR as they are clueless about diet and health). In the meantime, these people are excellent and have been curing so called "incurable diseases" for 25 years and will set up a phone appt with you if you can't find a good naturopath in your area. At the very least you can send them a message about your child and in a week or so they will get back to you with an answer and not charge you anything, or you can call into their radio show and ask a question which would also be free. I'm sure they would need more time that an appointment would provide(they spend nearly an hour with you) but calling into the show or emailing would be a start.

HolisticHealthline.com - Your Direct Line To Great Health!

Old 10-08-2007, 02:02 PM

Oh yeah, one more thing: my daughter also ended up having a milk allergy which was causing her asthma (NOT lactose intolerance). She improved dramatically as soon as she was off all milk products--including anything that had milk products (like whey and sodium caseinate) in it.

Old 10-08-2007, 05:13 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,280,229 times
Oh! Yeah;
Had some problems with our grand and GERD, all sorts of things were triggers; milk allergies etc. With toddlers, I prefer to get a physicians advice, since they are in the developmental stages of life. I am mostly tempted at times to go natural or suggest it to the parents.. But Id rather not take the risk of misdiagnosis when it comes to their health.

Old 10-09-2007, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yhwhshalomjr View Post
Oh! Yeah;
Had some problems with our grand and GERD, all sorts of things were triggers; milk allergies etc. With toddlers, I prefer to get a physicians advice, since they are in the developmental stages of life. I am mostly tempted at times to go natural or suggest it to the parents.. But Id rather not take the risk of misdiagnosis when it comes to their health.
FYI - from OP's prev. post:
Update -
went to the dr today
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness