U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 05:39 PM

659 posts, read 239,628 times

Advertisements

About 3 years ago I started gaining weight, real anxious, BP up and down, elevated pulse rate. I went to an Endo and he scanned my thyroid and saw a nodule but wasn't worried and said he would watch it. My labs have been normal.

I moved to another state and I keep gaining weight in my belly which is not normal or me, I am short of breath sometimes. fast pulse, tired, dry skin. They keep running tests and they are normal and even say my metabolism is probably fast but they never check the nodule that the other doctor found.

Could I have symptoms from the nodule even though my labs come back normal?Should I go see another endo and have them scan it again to see if it changed in 3 years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 06:27 PM

16,406 posts, read 30,744,729 times
Are they running a full thyroid panel or just TSH?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 08-04-2012, 06:51 PM

Yes I believe they did, TSH, T4 and antibodies.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:29 PM

9,910 posts, read 6,947,406 times
scanning a thyroid nodule,IMHO, doesn't give them valuable information. Mine was biopsied.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:56 PM

Right but I was wondering if that would cause symptoms even though my labs are normal.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:20 PM

9,910 posts, read 6,947,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ming Ming View Post
Right but I was wondering if that would cause symptoms even though my labs are normal.

a lot of other things can cause rapid heart rate, ie low potassium.
Which symptom(s) is giving you the most concern? They many not all be tied into the same cause.
My nodule is benign,my levels normal and yet my skin is really dry.
I was short of breath and low potassium levels were causing that.

Weight gain and tiredness can have many and varying causes.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:51 PM

48 posts, read 47,056 times
Have you been getting your paperwork after your results have come in? A common mistake many patients make is not seeing their own blood work results. It's good to know your actual numbers and to get a second opinion from another doctor. Thyroid problems are so tricky and many doctors are of no use.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:40 PM

1,759 posts, read 1,223,389 times
What is your TSH and Free t4 number?

Just because you're within normal range doesn't mean it is normal for you. Your thyroid could have dropped below what you're accustomed to and still remains normal. The TSH and Free T4 tells you where you're at in the range. Compare the numbers to your earlier result to see if there is any difference. That may give you a clue.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:03 PM

They look pretty normal overall, my doctor doesn't seem to think there is a reason to look further.

TSH 0.685 ref range 0.450-4.500
T4 Free 1.36 ref range 0.82 - 1.77
thyroid antibodies
TPO 11 ref range 0-34
antithyroglobulin <20 ref range 0-40

Old 08-08-2012, 11:14 AM

1,759 posts, read 1,223,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ming Ming View Post
They look pretty normal overall, my doctor doesn't seem to think there is a reason to look further.

TSH 0.685 ref range 0.450-4.500
T4 Free 1.36 ref range 0.82 - 1.77
thyroid antibodies
TPO 11 ref range 0-34
antithyroglobulin <20 ref range 0-40

And how is the above result compare to your earlier tests? Pretty similar or is there noticeable difference?

My TSH is 0.03 (not a typo) and my FT4 is 1.4. That's normal for me, even if medical science considers that abnormal. If my TSH drops to your range, even if it is considered normal, I'll probably gain weight like gangbuster. That's my point: your thyroid function may have dropped, resulting in your weight gain, even if the test shows you're normal.

On the other hand, a small percentage of people who are hyperthyroid gain weight after long period of time in that condition. Your numbers are closer to hyper than hypo so that could have something to do with it. Or it could be a change in your lifestyle or it could be you're hitting an age where sudden weight gain is normal. The best route is to voice all your concern with your endo. Some docs think it's ok to go below the recommended TSH if it makes the patients better, some don't. Some docs are more willing to experiment with different treatment. Find a more open minded endo and go from there.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness