Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 06:52 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,630,802 times

Advertisements

Don't do a home surgery, you risk infection and you might never be able to use that piercing again. I disagree that simply re-piercing the hole will help, to get rid of a cyst it must be removed entire (sac and all) or it will just come back again. The best person to do this is a doctor, call your dermatologist and make an appointment to have the cyst removed. If it heals well you will probably regain the use of your piercing. If it doesn't you may need to get a new set of holes pierced.

If you need fresh piercings, go to a professional body piercer that uses sterilized needles for all procedures, not some store in the mall that uses a gun to shove a stud through your lobes. Needle piercings are more precisely located, the hole it makes is clean instead of ragged, so the moment of piercing is less painful, they are less prone to infection and heal faster. Have the piercer put in something like a captive bead ring to heal with, these are much easier on fresh piercings than studs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 10:20 AM

12,477 posts, read 17,791,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
Don't do a home surgery, you risk infection and you might never be able to use that piercing again. I disagree that simply re-piercing the hole will help, to get rid of a cyst it must be removed entire (sac and all) or it will just come back again. The best person to do this is a doctor, call your dermatologist and make an appointment to have the cyst removed. If it heals well you will probably regain the use of your piercing. If it doesn't you may need to get a new set of holes pierced.

If you need fresh piercings, go to a professional body piercer that uses sterilized needles for all procedures, not some store in the mall that uses a gun to shove a stud through your lobes. Needle piercings are more precisely located, the hole it makes is clean instead of ragged, so the moment of piercing is less painful, they are less prone to infection and heal faster. Have the piercer put in something like a captive bead ring to heal with, these are much easier on fresh piercings than studs.

thanks so much for responding. I had not thought to go to a body piercer.
I did go to my dematologist about this and he's the one who said it's a cyst. However he didn't offer to remove it nor act as though it were necessary. I wish he had done the right theng at that appt. Maybe he thought it was no big deal. He's the one who said go have it re-pierced.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:34 PM

2,637 posts, read 12,630,802 times
Yeh, I read that, and thought to myself that you really need a new dermatologist... anyways good luck! Cysts are no fun.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:34 PM

20,932 posts, read 28,414,875 times
I can only wear gold or sterling silver earrings. If I wear the cheap ones I get an infection within a few hours. All my earrings are 14K gold. As long as the posts are gold I can waer them, it doesn't matter if the stones are fake.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:57 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,476,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
thanks so much for responding. I had not thought to go to a body piercer.
I did go to my dematologist about this and he's the one who said it's a cyst. However he didn't offer to remove it nor act as though it were necessary. I wish he had done the right theng at that appt. Maybe he thought it was no big deal. He's the one who said go have it re-pierced.
I had most of my piercings done by a body piercer and wouldn't do it any other way. Those piercing guns are more painful and traumatic to the body than the needle along that a body piercer uses. Getting any part of your ears pierced where you will be going through ear cartilage should not be done with those piercing guns because it can shatter the cartilage.

Old 04-30-2014, 04:19 PM

1 posts, read 3,061 times
I have the same issue. I do not think one ear lobe has an allergy the other does not. Have a bump inside too. Read on line to use an antibiotic cream in front and rear of lobe before inserting earring and I am going to try that in the morning. Hope it is helpful for us both, PippySkittles. (If you try it too)

Old 04-30-2014, 04:35 PM

10,230 posts, read 6,315,362 times
My ears have been pierced (gun) for over 40 years. I cannot wear silver or white gold posts to this day or they will get infected. I am fine with pewter or the hypo-allergenic posts.

Old 04-30-2014, 04:40 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,240,996 times
Mine flare up all the time, cheap earrings.

If I stick to sterling silver or gold I'm fine. The surgical steel ones are fine as well.

I've just bought a bulk lot of ss hooks on ebay and I'm going to convert all my danglies so they don't flare me up. It can take 3 or 4 days to settle if I'm not careful, I've just had them infect and it was because I wore dress earrings 2 nights in a row.

Annoying but no biggie. I look at it as "the Princess and the Pea" syndrome.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:23 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,791,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawprinter View Post
I have the same issue. I do not think one ear lobe has an allergy the other does not. Have a bump inside too. Read on line to use an antibiotic cream in front and rear of lobe before inserting earring and I am going to try that in the morning. Hope it is helpful for us both, PippySkittles. (If you try it too)

I finally got mine to be ok by cleaning daily with alcohol and peroxide, during the day I would squeeze and mash the lump on earlobe and I constantly wore posts so that I could continue turning them.
After a couple weeks the bump was gone and I can now wear any type earrings. I make sure I do not go even one day without wearing them though and I still use alcohol on them daily.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:57 AM
LZG

1 posts, read 2,489 times
I had my ears pierced at the mall with a gun about 30 years ago. I wore earrings for most of those years without any problems, however about 5 years ago all my earrings started irritating me and I couldn't leave them in any longer than about 15 minutes. My ears would become itchy and sore. I figured I had developed an allergy to the metal as I'm aging. I even tried cleaning them with alcohol and then coating the earring posts with triple antibiotic ointment. That helped very little, I was able to wear them for about 2 hours, but then the same problems occured. I even noticed they would get kind of infected, even after years of not wearing earrings at all. Randomly I would just notice a little bump and would have to treat them with triple antibiotic ointment. My doctor told me that as we age we can develop allergies that we never had before. So I stopped trying to wear earrings about 5 years ago. I missed wearing them though as I had many that matched necklaces and bracelets and it was disappointing to not be able to wear them anymore. I kept them all in hopes that some day I would be able to wear them again and I'm so glad I did. I read in a previous post that many people develop problems when they had their ears pierced with the gun as opposed to a needle. Someone suggested getting them repierced with a needle. I was skeptical, and I'm still not certain why it would matter, but I thought why not try. I got one of my larger diameter sewing needles, it is actually a yarn darner, size 15 or 16 I believe. I steralized the needle and my ear and repierced the existing holes. There was no bleeding and it was painless. I could feel that the needle was larger than the existing hole and I had to push it through. I pushed it all the way through, so even the larger eye of the needle went through. It did sting a little and I cleaned them well after with rubbing alcohol. I put in a pair of stainless steel studs coated with triple antibiotic ointment and cleaned them everyday with alcohol and ointment. They stung only when I cleaned them for just a couple days. I left the earrings in all the time for a week and had no problems at all. No itching or pain. After a week I started wearing my regular earrings again and I clean them with rubbing alcohol before I put them in. I have had no problems at all! I did this about 1 month ago and have been wearing different earrings every day. I'm so happy I get to wear earrings again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness