Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 09:13 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,305,963 times

Advertisements

I've had a hard time trying to find a urologist who wouldn't give me stress or an after school special lecture about having a vasectomy. Only until very recently have I had some success in finding someone who didn't want to give me a headache.

I came across some reading material about "No-Scalpel" vasectomies and I was curious if any of the posters here had went through with this process? If so how did it feel? I've often heard lots of positive and negative personal stories from vasectomies. I think there's nothing like having peace of mind knowing that you won't be stuck with an 18 year car note, but at the same time I'd like to sire at least one child while i'm alive.

some web reading that I came across:

https://www.cornellurology.com/clini...pel-vasectomy/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 10:50 AM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
If you want to have at least one child, why are you interested in a vasectomy at all?

Old 08-17-2012, 07:23 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,063,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
If you want to have at least one child, why are you interested in a vasectomy at all?
That would be my question.

My husband had this done almost 2yrs ago and I was in the room to watch the procedure. They gave him valium to take an hour before (I gave it to him at 35 minutes before though, which worked best for him).

He had 3 shots in his scr..tum (wow, can't say that word on here???)...one on either side in the vas and one in the center where they would clip the skin. He wound up needing two more shots of lidocain but he really wasn't feeling "pain"...just tugging. That is normal to feel tugging and pulling but the doc gave him more just in case.

He said when they were tugging on the vas it felt like they were pulling it down from his stomach, which is also a normal sensation during the procedure. It only took about 30 minutes for the entire process. They put a bandaid over the hole and he wore a jock and tighty whites for the next few days.

He walked like a penguin the first day and stairs were hard to do. He had it done on a Friday and went back to work on Monday, but wasn't getting around too well. He took another day off and then came home early a couple of days.

He had a granuloma and a lot of swelling so they gave him a prescription for ibuprophen. He still gets occasional aches and pains down there that last a day or three but nothing horrific. He can still function.

To me it looked like a walk in the park, but then I have a few surgeries under my belt and had some complications with them as well so I may be a little biased.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:38 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,305,963 times
Thanks for the response Sixy.

I don't know who left that rep comment but i'm well aware that this isn't a reversible process.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordlife View Post
Thanks for the response Sixy.
Honestly, I think for most men the anticipation of the procedure is worse than the actual procedure itself.

I asked him if he'd do it again after experiencing it and he said "absolutely".

Just do your research and my suggestion would be to choose a doc that acknowledges that there ARE risks and complications. They will be more likely to treat you with compassion and not blow off your complaints/concerns IF you do have issues afterwards. We had several consults and a lot of docs acted like we were being unrealisitc for acknowledging and asking about the possible complications.

Overall though, complications/risks are quite rare and most issues are easily remedied.

Oh...and most importantly...follow through with your sample afterwards! No sense in going through the whole process and then skipping that, but a good number of men do out of embarassment.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:55 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
What *Sixy* is mentioning is the older way of performing the procedure. Many Doctors liked to perform the procedure on a Friday so that the patient could rest during the weekend and recover. The problem is with the scalpal and opening up what amounts to a half inch or so incision. With the no scalpal procedure you are opening up a pin like opening (Skin has an amazing way of strectching.) The recovery process is a lot less and quite a bit faster. I had the old way performed on me 6 years ago. I know this because my youngest just turned 6 years old and we figured that 6 kids was plenty. I was out for the weekend and didn't like it one bit. When the pain meds wore off I was not too happy and can't stand taking Vicodin at all. I have talked to a few of our Urologists and they say that the days of weekend long pain may be gone. Every case is differant and I am not a Doctor. Still from what I hear it is a walk in the park and you can still make it to the club on Saturday for some fun. (Ask your Doctor first to be sure.)

Old 08-20-2012, 01:39 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
It's easy, breezy...most docs just cut and cauterize the vas deferens after making a small incision. It takes whole whopping 10-15 mins tops.

It's much easier than giving birth.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
What *Sixy* is mentioning is the older way of performing the procedure.
No, he had the no-scalpel version. They numbed both vas and then the center of the scr*tum, made one hole with these tiny clipper/scissor looking things and pulled each vas out of that hole. The hole was about 1/2 the size of the diameter of a pencil eraser when it was stretched open to pull the vas through. No stiches for recovery, just a band-aid.

They still cut everything and cauterize inside, and that's where the bruising, swelling and discomfort afterwards can occur.

If you aren't too squeamish OP, google "no scalpel vasectomy video" and click on the link labeled "no scalpel, no needle vasectomy"..it's about 9 minutes long video and shows the procedure. You can have no-needle anesthetic but our doc felt the injection provided better anesthesia.

They advised against any activity for the weekend and still recommend they take it easy with an ice pack on the area to reduce swelling.

Everything they do inside the scr*tum is the same, it's just the opening they go through is much smaller.

Last edited by *Sixy*; 08-20-2012 at 02:50 PM..

Old 08-20-2012, 07:13 PM

503 posts, read 771,930 times
Default No needle

DH had a "no needle" - walk in the park - and he is kind of a baby about needles and such. They numb you with some sort of air pressure gun that shoots lidocane in your skin without having to inject with a needle. His incision was the size of a grain of rice - just a tiny band aid. He had to wear the jock for a few. He took maybe one ibuprofen. Good luck to ya.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:39 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
OP has not been back. I still wonder why he wants a vasectomy if he wants to have a child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness