Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 12:42 AM

44,625 posts, read 61,603,272 times

Advertisements

Perfumed laundry soaps made me itch, so we switched to perfume free soap. Some foods make me itch also.
Certain medications make me itch so I watch them carefully and I tell the doctor(s) about them.

https://provider.ghc.org/open/caring...ngMedicine.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2016, 07:56 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,010,517 times
What ever the allergies your grand ma has my daughter has too, she has a constant pill to take during pollen season. But it can be for many reasons. As other member says.

Old 03-12-2016, 08:03 AM

10,231 posts, read 6,315,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
If she had chicken pox it could be shingles. That is supposed to be miserable and lasts a long time. Is it possible she is getting into poison ivy?

I'd take her to an internist pronto.
You get a rash which oozes with shingles. If she has no rash, it isn't shingles. I used to itch (no rash) when I was kid. We found out I was allergic to bleach which my Mom washed my clothes and sheets with.

Sounds like an allergy either internal or external source.

Old 03-12-2016, 07:23 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
From a quick read through this thread I think I saw a few things that rang true.

One, something in the water.

The other is the perfumed laundry detergent. Either that or fabric softener. I don't use either one due to sensitivities. I've never found a need for fabric softener anyway but for laundry soap I just dump in some Borax, washing soda, and a little bit of Woolite. Does the job and is safe for all machines. Or for really no scent and to get grease out in hot water, I'll substitute that yellow Fels Naptha soap for the Woolite. I take a knife and put a few scrapings in. My clothes have never been cleaner. You can also buy commercially unscented brands--I just find this method easier somehow.

This makes a simple, basic laundry soap that is also cheap. And I don't get dh saying, "Itch-itch-itch-itch." (I've been using this formula for so long that I had forgotten how that used to be.)

Old 01-15-2019, 02:49 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,384,993 times
Since the dermatologist has already examined her, my reply is probably no good. I am not a doctor so what I say isn't authoritative. You could consider the following observations just through my own experiences (some are "been there, done that".)

Could be something Mom changed 4 years ago maybe. Did she start sleeping on the couch about that time? Could be from exposure to detergent in bed sheets or chemicals in anything stuffed with foam like a mattress or in this case a couch. If the fabric of the couch is made with a chemicals process such as a faux leather it could present a problem. Latex is bad too..But the doctor should have found that. Does she do her own laundry or is that taken care of somewhere/someone else? Change to a brand like Ivory used to wash baby clothes and see what happens.

Have you ruled out bed bugs? Infestations are so common-place today. Any visitors to her house can bring them in on their clothing or luggage for example. They are very tiny and live in colonies. But the dermatologist should have recognized the bites. Sometimes there are no red spots. Extreme heat will kill them. Insect sprays or chemical bombs do not eradicate them.

Boost or Ensure or Glucerna meal replacement drinks give important nutrients to older people (anybody really).She can drink these any time of day. Wouldn't hurt to try.

Kidney disease and Iron-deficient Anemia cause itching. But the doc should have caught that. Does she take supplements/one a day vitamins?

My best friend only has 30% of her kidneys working and she is on a special diet that weeds out phosphorous-containing foods and lowers amount of sodium and potassium consumed.

Good luck.

Old 01-15-2019, 08:25 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,847,756 times
Maybe she takes showers that are too hot, if I do I itch like crazy! Maybe at the nursing home they used more temperate water, not very hot.

Old 01-16-2019, 05:00 AM

2,954 posts, read 1,411,905 times
Sometimes you can't find a cause, unfortunately. I've been itching for over 20 years with no answer.

Old 01-16-2019, 11:09 AM

11,049 posts, read 6,639,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffee72 View Post
Sometimes you can't find a cause, unfortunately. I've been itching for over 20 years with no answer.
Yep. I'm itching right now reading all this. I keep my handy metal ladle next to me to get at my back. Or a pasta scoop. It's always back areas I can't reach. No idea what causes it. But it's a crime how bra hooks and clothes tags rub right on bare skin.

Old 01-16-2019, 06:21 PM

2,954 posts, read 1,411,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Yep. I'm itching right now reading all this. I keep my handy metal ladle next to me to get at my back. Or a pasta scoop. It's always back areas I can't reach. No idea what causes it. But it's a crime how bra hooks and clothes tags rub right on bare skin.
Yep, I'm itchy right now too. This is probably TMI, but as soon as I get home from work, bra comes off! Way too itchy. I have a bamboo scratcher for my back, so no having to use forks or ladles for me, lol. Right now it's the lower part of my legs that are so darn itchy. The itchy legs are due to winter. Fortunately I have not had any hives or welts or what I call burning skin since summer of 2017, just itchy skin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness