Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 01:16 PM

915 posts, read 2,124,204 times

Advertisements

For the average person, your remarks are all accurate I am sure, but I can't fail to point out a couple of exceptions. I have MS and while MS is not, in itself, life threatening, death is more often caused by infections from bedsores; these are best avoided with antibiotic soaps, and when I got my first and only bedsore during a period of active MS, was instructed to use the Dial antibiotic soap from now on. I do, and have had no further trouble (my MS is also currently in remission).

A second concern is patients after surgury: infections are a real concern then, also, and the antibiotic soap is recommended. Infection was my surgeon's chief concern, he said, after my recent surgery for ovarian cancer. I continued to use my antibiotic soap and also used hand sanitizer after every trip to the bathroom, the kitty box, or washing dishes. Never got an infection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 06:12 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,708,910 times
I thought bedsores were caused by being left in a singular position for an extended length of time without being moved regularly. That's why they move bed-bound patients, lift them, turn them, lift their limbs, turn them to their sides, etc. etc. So that no one part of their body is pressed against the mattress for so long that it causes a sore.

I was given to understand that the best way to avoid bedsores is to make sure your caregiver is shifting your position every couple/few hours, changing the sheets daily, and daily brisk-rub sponge-baths to encourage circulation of the blood and sloughing of dead skin.

Old 09-08-2012, 05:20 AM

915 posts, read 2,124,204 times
>> I thought bedsores were caused by being left in a singular position for an extended length of time without being moved regularly.

Yes, but you don't have to have a "caregiver" and all of that to get them. If you're in a lot of pain, and just sitting or laying for too long, one can develop. Usually happens during an exaccerbation of the illness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness