U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 08-27-2012, 05:44 AM

1 posts, read 586 times
Default Fainting or possible Epilepsy

Please can anyone relate to the symptoms my daughter of 11 yrs. Tow years ago she fainted on a school trip, vomited and was then fine. Dr put it down to being a warm day and a crowded venue. Yesterday she collapsed in the bath and was unconcious for bout 20 seconds. she didnt just go to a standing possition, she was standing with towel around her in the bath whilst i cut her hair. She then said she felt sick and within seconds said she felt dizzy then just collapsed. i was left holding her head up out the water till she came around. She was not aware of what happened and woke asking what was wrong as i was shouting for someone to help me. After she got dressed she then came down stairs screaming say she couldnt feel her arms and was very frightened. I took her to A&E to find when we arrived she couldnt walk as her legs were in terrible pain. I carried her into A&E and waited 45 mins to be seen by triage nurse. By which time her blood pressure was ok and sats and temp normal. I am confused as thought her blood pressure would have been low etc. after over hour and half she regained all feeling in her arms and pain was gone from legs and was told she could go home but that they didnt know what it was. No blood tests nothing. Can anyone relate to the loss of conciousness and pain which later set in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 08-27-2012, 11:23 AM

1 posts, read 575 times
Loss of conciousness is rather normal, because as I understood it epileptic seizures are a sort of nerve system restart - everything goes off line for some time. But I can't relate with pain that sets in later, if during the seizure you were next to her. However there are different stages of epilepsy. Monitor her and if the interval between these so called seizures is getting smaller then she should be hospitalized for observation, and ECG tests.

Unread 08-29-2012, 08:13 AM

248 posts, read 151,480 times
Don't know what A&E is, but I'd take her to her pediatrician and someone who'd do a real workup instead of saying everything's fine, go home, without any sort of testing. Yikes!!!

Unread 09-01-2012, 06:05 AM

10,497 posts, read 12,666,928 times
The ER is for immediate problems that need medical attention to resolve immediately. Since your daughter's immediate problem (the pain and the faintness) resolved while she was waiting for a nurse, there really was nothing more that the ER could do (since they're not in the testing/diagnosis business; they're in the emergency treatment business).

Your daughter needs a full top to bottom physical and an EEG, CBCs, thyroid panel, iron and glucose testing, the whole shebang. Pain following a fainting spell doesn't sound at all like any epilepsy I've ever heard of. I have a relative with the type that causes grand mal seizures, and he doesn't even feel pain when he "comes to." He just feels physically exhausted, and sometimes it leaves him with a migraine headache.

He knows when he's about to have a seizure; he feels a little woozy and unstable. Since he knows what that feeling means for him, he knows to yell out for someone in the house to come to him, then he'll take out his bite-stick, and lay down. He usually has around 30 seconds to do so. (A bite-stick in our case is a flat wooden tongue depressor with around half an inch thickness of tape wrapped around one end. It gets placed between his upper and lower front teeth, to prevent him from biting his tongue off when he goes into a seizure. The tape provides padding so he doesn't chip a tooth or splinter the wood in the process).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness