Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 08:16 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Put on your tin foil hats when you leave the safety of your homes - the sun is your most *constant* source of radiation outside. Inside, best ditch the microwave oven, toss your cell phone in (someone else's) trash, and totally burn your wifi internet access. Those are ALL sources of radiation.
Yoo hoo. Perhaps you have not read the reports of how these machines are putting out more radiation than reported and that they leak, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 08:37 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emoeskaite View Post
Apparently the European Union is histeric as well because they have banned these scanners on its territory:

Could airport body scanners cause cancer? | CBS 58 | Local News

If you trust FDA and TSA, that's your problem, I don't....
You will find that I mention and differentiate between backscatter scanners on the first page in my first response to you, of which you did not pay attention given this response and it's likely you did not read the link posted and you likely did not fully read your own links. And you will also see that I note that I do not trust the TSA (in the very post you quoted). I really don't see the merit in approaching any topic carelessly. Your natures news links were cockamamie. If you read them and followed the citations provided in your links, you would have seen that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonbarney View Post
I have two knee replacements, two hip replacments, a shoulder replacment, and a wrist full of screws and bolts. Various doctor's offices have told me they no longer issues cards attesting to your status as almost bionic. Anyone know what happens to someone like me?
My brother was like you. Getting through the airport was not easy. If you're traveling domestically, a road trip might be the way to go.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:22 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,445,173 times
Quote:
Can I not agree to be scanned by this cancer causing machines? What if I say 'no'?

Oh geez.

First, passive millimeter-wave methods don't even emit any radiation. There are other methods, such as backscatter X-ray, and non-ionizing millimeter-wave scanners.

If you are really so concerned, looked the the levels of mSv you receive on an airplane flight. The Concorde had radiation dosimeters.

There are a few other important rules to abide by: Don't run with scissors, don't jay-walk, avoid going outside when the UV index is high, or ozone is rampant. Don't inhale the radon in your basement (well, you really shouldn't), don't inhale the wonderful outgassing fumes from the new carpet you just bought....

Old 09-03-2012, 09:43 AM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
Default Metal Implants

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonbarney View Post
I have two knee replacements, two hip replacments, a shoulder replacment, and a wrist full of screws and bolts. Various doctor's offices have told me they no longer issues cards attesting to your status as almost bionic. Anyone know what happens to someone like me?
Read what TSA says about "private screenings" here

TSA: Hidden Disabilities

Old 09-03-2012, 02:56 PM

51 posts, read 265,347 times
The difference between sun and scanner is that the sun has been up there for millions of years and until recent 100 years or so most people didn't die from cancer even when exposed to sunrays 10 hours a day. It's the artifical sun UV protection body lotions what may cause skin cancer, more than the sun itself probably. Isn't it true that the more a country is developed the higher cancer rates are?

World cancer statistics | Overall | WCRF UK

Denmark is #1 cancer country. Not some place in Africa where people expose themself to sun all day long. In fact the sun is anti-cancer due to vitamin D it provides. I don't think the Danes eat not healthy food, since Danish products are of very good quality, but I do believe that Danes go to doctors too much and take too many radioactive madical examinations, like x-ray, tomography, MRI etc

Old 09-03-2012, 03:18 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Since most skin cancers are slow-growing, people in centuries past didn't have time to develop big ones before they died of something else.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 09-03-2012 at 05:04 PM..

Old 09-03-2012, 04:51 PM

45,330 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
The difference between sun and scanner is that the sun has been up there for millions of years and until recent 100 years or so most people didn't die from cancer even when exposed to sunrays 10 hours a day. It's the artifical sun UV protection body lotions what may cause skin cancer, more than the sun itself probably. Isn't it true that the more a country is developed the higher cancer rates are?

World cancer statistics | Overall | WCRF UK

Denmark is #1 cancer country. Not some place in Africa where people expose themself to sun all day long. In fact the sun is anti-cancer due to vitamin D it provides. I don't think the Danes eat not healthy food, since Danish products are of very good quality, but I do believe that Danes go to doctors too much and take too many radioactive madical examinations, like x-ray, tomography, MRI etc
The fact that most Danes have less melanin (sun protection) in their skin than most Africans likely has absolutely nothing to do with the differing skin cancer rates.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:18 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yoo hoo. Perhaps you have not read the reports of how these machines are putting out more radiation than reported and that they leak, etc.
And you have the correct medical facts. Thanks.

Dont drs still have to give the cards out for patients with prosthetics? Or is it different in some states.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:34 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,623,002 times
Anybody know if they use these in Canada as well? I am driving my wife up to Vancouver, Canada in a few weeks so she can catch a direct flight from there to China to attend a family event. She is in the early stage of pregnancy and so is a bit paranoid about going through one of these scanners- the less radiation she willingly takes on the better.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:07 PM

559 posts, read 1,394,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
Anybody know if they use these in Canada as well? I am driving my wife up to Vancouver, Canada in a few weeks so she can catch a direct flight from there to China to attend a family event. She is in the early stage of pregnancy and so is a bit paranoid about going through one of these scanners- the less radiation she willingly takes on the better.
They use those in Canada (Full body scanner - Canadian Air Transport Security Authority) but it looks like not everyone has to go through the scanners. It looks like the only thing that's required for everyone is to walk through a metal detector (Walk-through metal detector - Canadian Air Transport Security Authority).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness