Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 08:24 PM

24,112 posts, read 32,460,014 times

Advertisements

Your mother's milk was perfect for you. The milk from a cow is perfect for her calf. The milk from a goat is for a kid.

And so it goes. Milk from another species is not an ideal food for humans. Milk, after all from any species is meant to fatten up the young and promote growth. If you are past the growing stage and you drink milk regularly you are drinkink a food intended for a cow.

If you want to look like a cow, this is a good way to go. I do not drink cows milk. I also have huge ethical issues with the dairy industry and veal. So I opt for almond, soy, or hemp milk.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:17 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
I drink whole milk in moderation. That is to say, I make homemade yogurt from it that I use in smoothies. It's DELICIOUS and I feel great - and probiotics are very good for us.

That being said, I wouldn't recommend drinking glass after glass of milk a day as an adult. Moderation is the key -as it is with most foods.

I'll catch flak for saying this but it's legal here in Texas to sell "nearly raw" milk. It's been heated to a high temperature but not quite to pasteurization point (this kills some of the benefits of raw milk). The source I use raises their cows in a pasture with natural grasses and minerals. They do not give their cows artificial growth hormones. They are very humane in their treatment of these animals. I've toured their farm.

This milk is absolutely BEAUTIFUL and delicious, with a layer of luscious cream on top (I just shake it to mix it back into the milk - or skim it off for a lower fat content - but WHY? lol). I don't drink much per day - less than a cup, which by the way, I use to make yogurt. I don't drink the milk just as it is, because the drinkable Swedish yogurt I make is so delicious. And very easy to make by the way.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:17 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,083,618 times
No, it isn't good for you. Nutritionally its like a snickers bar, well, a snickers bar with a bunch of hormones (well, the snickers does have dairy in it already....).

Its amazing that milk is still thought of has healthy, well not too amazing, the dairy industry spends millions a year on marketing.

Old 09-04-2012, 04:00 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Here's a pretty good article about the health concerns physicians have with milk...

PCRM | Health Concerns about Dairy Products

Old 09-04-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Here's a pretty good article about the health concerns physicians have with milk...

PCRM | Health Concerns about Dairy Products
This group actively encourages switching to a vegetarian or, more ideally, a vegan diet.

They push the consumption of soy products, and actively discourage eating fish and shellfish (of course). They espouse vegan diets for children and even infants.

It's basically a vegan site.

Just sayin'.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:53 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,083,618 times
The Physicians committee for responsible medicine is not a vegan group, instead:

"Since 1985, PCRM has been influencing advancements in medicine and science. We advocate for preventive medicine, especially good nutrition, conduct clinical research, and advocate for higher ethical standards in research. Our membership includes 150,000 health care professionals and concerned citizens."

Trying to discount them as a "vegan site" because their research indicates that a largely plant-based diet is the most healthful is absurd....

Old 09-04-2012, 01:24 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Cow milk is good for calves.

In our culture cow milk has added vitamins so it can become known as relatively 'healthy'. Veggies have more minerals that are good for you.

People often question the hormones in milk and the effect that such hormones have on growing children.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:41 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,048,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
This group actively encourages switching to a vegetarian or, more ideally, a vegan diet.

They push the consumption of soy products, and actively discourage eating fish and shellfish (of course). They espouse vegan diets for children and even infants.

It's basically a vegan site.

Just sayin'.
My husband's cardiologist recommended that he stop using all animal products and instead embrace a vegan diet. Not everyone who espouses vegan diets is doing so because of their reverence for animals - quite a few of us are vegans because of health reasons. My husband did adopt a vegan, low-fat diet a few weeks ago and his cholesterol issues are improving already. He is also close to being able to go off his diabetic medication (his lowered blood sugar is the most dramatic result of the change in his diet) - his blood sugar dropping to low normal levels (while on medication). His MD has told him that with a change in diet, he can go completely off his meds and we are working towards this. He has always been normal weight and exercised on a daily basis. The only thing that has changed is his diet.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
My husband's cardiologist recommended that he stop using all animal products and instead embrace a vegan diet. Not everyone who espouses vegan diets is doing so because of their reverence for animals - quite a few of us are vegans because of health reasons. My husband did adopt a vegan, low-fat diet a few weeks ago and his cholesterol issues are improving already. He is also close to being able to go off his diabetic medication (his lowered blood sugar is the most dramatic result of the change in his diet) - his blood sugar dropping to low normal levels (while on medication). His MD has told him that with a change in diet, he can go completely off his meds and we are working towards this. He has always been normal weight and exercised on a daily basis. The only thing that has changed is his diet.
I am not saying that vegan diets are necessarily WRONG. Different bodies, body types, ages, physical conditions, genetic makeup, lifestyles, etc can respond differently to a wide variety of diets.

I am not a vegan. I am fifty years old. My blood pressure, heart rate, blood sugar, cholesterol, etc are all in optimal ranges and I eat some animal products on a daily basis. My doctor has recommended that "whatever you're doing, keep doing it!" I eat a very natural, non processed diet with very little meat but some eggs or milk products just about every day.

Congrats, though, on your husband's improved health.

Old 09-04-2012, 04:15 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,369,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset2000 View Post
Like seriously.
Yes, it IS good for you. It's MUCH better for you than what most Americans choose to drink. It's full of all kinds of good nutrients.

However, it stands to reason that it's not "perfect." It is, after all, ideally intended for calves instead of humans. Also, there are some people who are lactose intolerant, and others are straight-up allergic to it.

Many people use goat milk. I don't like the taste of it, but I like the cheeses & other products.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness