Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 03:04 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,350,013 times

Advertisements

yel, PinkSting I will pass too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2007, 03:27 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
When your family has a history of colon cancer, it is not advisable to skip this test.

I have to be honest here, I am overdue for a second colonoscopy.

Drinking that stuff (it made me want to barf) and staying up late p o o oping are not happy memories; I hate staying up late and doing it for such a reason is just torture.

Old 10-07-2007, 06:21 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,180,644 times
It is one of those things that need to be done from time to time. Grit you teeth and DO IT!

The first time my husband had it done, he had 19 polyps removed. One was quite large, and while it may never had developed in to a cancer, it could have caused problems with bleeding, etc.

The stuff tastes awful, no doubt about it, but once it's done. It's done. You have a choice, you can gulp it down, or sip it. I think remembering that you have to swallow 8 ozs every 1/2 hour starting about 6 or 7 pm.

Everyone that needs one, just go ahead and get it done. Then you can feel superior to all the wimps that chicken out and don't.

Old 10-07-2007, 11:32 AM

Yes, I really need to just make the appointment and do it.
I had no polyps last time, but that doesn't really mean anything.
I have the phone number on a sticky in front of me and will call tomorrow.
After I have the appointment, and it's all taken care of, I will post in Health and Wellness.

Old 10-07-2007, 06:05 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,282,289 times
So drinking something that may make me barf and then living on the toilet for a night, wow, sounds fun, sign me up.
lol I'm kidding.
I do enough on the toilet stuff being a vegetarian, i don't need it worse! lol I eat too much fiber. Anymore will kill me.

Isn't a colonoscopy good for those that can't go to the bathroom due to constant constipation?
I've never had a doctor yet suggest that i need a colonoscopy. I wonder what the profit margin is on one of those for each patient.

Old 10-08-2007, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post

Isn't a colonoscopy good for those that can't go to the bathroom due to constant constipation?
I've never had a doctor yet suggest that i need a colonoscopy. I wonder what the profit margin is on one of those for each patient.
PinkString
It is good to be skeptical of the medical world. I salute you.
It is also good to do your homework.
I have never been constipated in my life.
My dad died of colon cancer at age 50.
He was in a whole lot of pain; I really need to get over myself and make the appointment, a bowel prep is better than a bowel cancer.
I don't know how old you are; I am a couple weeks shy of 53.
Many docs recommend a colonoscopy after age 50, esp if there is a family history of colon cancer.
According to Wikipedia:
Colorectal cancer, also called colon cancer or bowel cancer, includes cancerous growths in the colon, rectum and appendix. It is the third most common form of cancer and the second leading cause of cancer-related death in the Western world. Colorectal cancer causes 655,000 deaths worldwide per year.[1] Many colorectal cancers are thought to arise from adenomatous polyps in the colon. These mushroom-like growths are usually benign, but some may develop into cancer over time. The majority of the time, the diagnosis of localized colon cancer is through colonoscopy.

Old 10-09-2007, 03:09 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,282,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
PinkString
It is good to be skeptical of the medical world. I salute you.
It is also good to do your homework.
I have never been constipated in my life.
My dad died of colon cancer at age 50.
He was in a whole lot of pain; I really need to get over myself and make the appointment, a bowel prep is better than a bowel cancer.
I don't know how old you are; I am a couple weeks shy of 53.
Many docs recommend a colonoscopy after age 50, esp if there is a family history of colon cancer.
According to Wikipedia:
Colorectal cancer, also called colon cancer or bowel cancer, includes cancerous growths in the colon, rectum and appendix. It is the third most common form of cancer and the second leading cause of cancer-related death in the Western world. Colorectal cancer causes 655,000 deaths worldwide per year.[1] Many colorectal cancers are thought to arise from adenomatous polyps in the colon. These mushroom-like growths are usually benign, but some may develop into cancer over time. The majority of the time, the diagnosis of localized colon cancer is through colonoscopy.
From what I know after doing tons of research, the people that really need colonoscopies are those who eat the standard american diet.
And i am 37.

Old 10-09-2007, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
From what I know after doing tons of research, the people that really need colonoscopies are those who eat the standard american diet.
And i am 37.
Well maybe you should share your research with us. Seriously.
What is the standard American diet? I suppose it is high fat, heavy on red meat?

Old 10-09-2007, 10:28 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,180,644 times
There is one good piece of news. After you reach a certain age, they figure a colonoscopy is a waste of time because even if you did have a polyp that was headed towards a cancer, they are usually sooooo slow growing that you would be dead from something else before it killed you. I got that happy piece of news at the last one I had. He said, " well, this will be the last one you'll ever need!"

It's about the only great thing to come out of the Golden Years. No more yuck stuff to drink!

Old 10-09-2007, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
There is one good piece of news. After you reach a certain age, they figure a colonoscopy is a waste of time because even if you did have a polyp that was headed towards a cancer, they are usually sooooo slow growing that you would be dead from something else before it killed you. I got that happy piece of news at the last one I had. He said, " well, this will be the last one you'll ever need!"

It's about the only great thing to come out of the Golden Years. No more yuck stuff to drink!
Well, that is, in a back-handed (heh, no pun intended) kind of way, good news.
After all, everyone has to die of something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness