U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-09-2012, 03:05 PM

12,411 posts, read 9,206,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
If those olfactory hallucinations (which is what they are) aren't followed by any other symptoms, and are simply "odd smells that show up randomly and go away soon after", then there's nothing to worry about. Most people get them, but not everyone is sensitive enough about their own sense of smell to notice.

While I brush my teeth right now (okay I put the brush down to type but my mouth is full of toothpaste), I am smelling bacon. Or maybe not bacon, maybe it's just smoked ham, or smoked wood. Just some general, vague smokey smell that my brain has interpreted to mean "bacon."

It's gone now. Just popped in and out, and probably did that just because I was thinking about the subject matter of this post. I rarely pay attention to these, unless they indicate danger (like the smell of actual smoke or something burning, or rotted meat, not just a "smokey" smell).
That's the strange smell that I get every now and again, and sometimes I think I don't smell what I should. I read somewhere that these problems could be associated with early Alzheimer's. Hope not!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 05:07 AM

11,294 posts, read 15,973,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
That's the strange smell that I get every now and again, and sometimes I think I don't smell what I should. I read somewhere that these problems could be associated with early Alzheimer's. Hope not!
It might be. But it's probably associated with all kinds of things. Like, hallucinogenic drug ingestion. Temporal lobe seizures. Alzheimer's. Alcohol toxicity. Food poisoning. Brain chemistry issues. And so on and so forth.

And sometimes, some people simply notice a smell that isn't there. Just like when you get an itch on your leg, but there's nothing there to make it itch. Or when you think you see a shadow at the edge of your vision and when you turn to see what it was, it wasn't anything at all. Or when you hear a sound that goes away as soon as you noticed hearing it.

These are sensory hallucinations, and it's mostly just the nerve endings doing what they do, and you happen to have honed in on them at that particular moment and your brain didn't get a chance to accurately interpret them.

WHY this happens - it can be a "disorder" or "medical issue." Or it can be random. I've had it since I was a little girl. I'd wake up on days when the ozone was thick in the air and smell cotton candy. Or mid-afternoon "bacon" smells. On my cotton candy days, the looking up toward the sun for the first time that day makes me sneeze. That's not a disorder either. It's just an automatic response and apparently many other people have it, but never noticed there was a pattern to it.

You notice a LOT when you have ADD

Old 09-10-2012, 10:25 AM

27,352 posts, read 20,689,340 times
This can also be an early sign of a brain tumor. Just throwing that out there.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:12 PM

11,294 posts, read 15,973,486 times
And epilepsy.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:36 PM

6,345 posts, read 7,004,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
OP I have the same sensitivity. I can smell things that are real up to a mile away. After I had my 3rd sinus surgery for blockage my sensitivity to smells went through the roof. Doc said that was normal and not to worry, which I don't. But it drives my wife crazy when I ask her "do you smell that" and she can't.
And I thought I was the only one that happened to.

After having nasal polyps cut out a few years back, it took a few months to regain any sense of smell. My problem though, I'd smell things that weren't there. At first I'd smell smoke for a week or so then it would go away only to return a couple of weeks later. Then it went to smelling like gasoline. Then a new car smell. It's been almost 4 years since the surgery and it still occurs every now and then. Doctor could offer no explanation.

Kind of ruins the taste of food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness