Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2012, 08:15 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,424,313 times

Advertisements

I recently saw a sign for pharmaceutical reps on the door of a doctors office, saying they would no longer accept or distribute drug samples. I know some doctors do and some don't, but I was curious as to what led them to change their policy. The office was very busy and I didn't ask anyone.
I don't like doctors who whip the prescription pad out, time after time, as the first answer to everything. I don't like the idea of starting patients out on brand new, relatively untested drugs in cases where an older drug that has stood the test of time would probably do just as well. On the other hand, when patients do need expensive prescriptions, those free samples can be a big help. So if you saw this sign on your doctor's door, would you say "Way to go!" or "What, no more freebies?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 09:18 AM

741 posts, read 1,679,172 times
I would definitely say "WAY TO GO" !! I am very anti-RX... I would like to see that more often and this country would start getting off so many drugs eventually.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:42 AM

523 posts, read 3,805,252 times
i suspect if they no longer accept samples, but still see reps, then its probably more a function of the practice being concerned about adherence to the Joint Commission rules governing sample dispensing - which can be subject to regulatory enforcement, particularly in large practices (or practices which are part of a larger group) - these would include issues such as having to respond to any potential recall notices from manufacturers, and given the way samples are managed in most practices, continuing to receive them can easily become more hassle than its worth.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:04 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,872,464 times
^^Nominated for the longest sentence of the day award

Old 09-08-2012, 11:15 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,091,725 times
lol @ gimme

Two weeks ago I would have praised a doctor's office for not accepting samples, but this past week I saved a lot of money when my doctor provided me with a month's worth of OTC product that would have cost me around $40-$50. I guess I am neutral; whatever works best for that particular office.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:19 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
That may have all started when there was some fuss about the 'gifts' that doctors received from the various pharmaceutical companies to use them and their sales reps instead of another company. Doctors are no longer allowed to receive pens, small note pads, coffee cups, etc. from pharmaceutical companies. Something to do with unfair advertising or some such thing.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:45 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,025,114 times
The Joint Commission only governs hospitals and some physician offices that are owned by hospitals. Private physician offices can choose whether or not to accept and distribute samples.

Old 09-09-2012, 01:04 PM

277 posts, read 519,051 times
I am more than grateful that my doctor just gave me about 2 1/2 months worth of a blood-pressure med saving me about $100 - told me to come back in about 2 months for more ... plus prescribed another med ($10 for 90) at double dosage so I could cut it in half extending how long that prescription will last (have about a year and a half worth of those meds) .. she's my life-saver

Old 09-09-2012, 08:13 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
I have to say I love samples from my doctor. My allergy medicine is ridiculous expensive. The doctor is wonderful and gives me samples to tide me over until the next time I see her.

When I was younger and didn't have money for health insurance, my OB would give me a year's worth of samples of pills.

While you may be anti-RX and say bravo, it is up to each person to question the doctor, the methods and decide. I say Bravo to the doctors who help patients out with samples.

Old 09-09-2012, 10:10 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Many pharmaceutical companies are changing to a discount voucher system rather than distributing actual samples. The voucher helps with insurance copays or sometimes provides a free month's supply.

For uninsured patients, assistance programs can provide free drugs for patients who qualify.

Any time you get a prescription, ask about the availability of a generic, which may be $10 for three months at some of the chain pharmacies.

Some medications can be cut in half, but not all. It may not be a good idea with extended or continuous release products.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness