U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 10:58 AM

5,552 posts, read 2,521,798 times

Advertisements

Reviving this post as I am weighing in on the pros and cons of online ordering.
CONS: My local optician will give the eyewear prescription but refuses to give my frame measurement: pupil distance..Bridge frame ..etc.
2: adjustment when they arrive.
3: Frame durability.

To be clear...I am prone to dropping...misplacing and yes losing my prescription glasses. My main goal is to have sight!! I really am pragmatic in eyewear. It serves one purpose..vision...clarity.
So..given that online has the cons..I do like that it's much less expensive when I on avg loose two pair each year.
So if anyone has good feedback on current online eyewear based on my opinion posted here..may I hear from you...thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2019, 01:57 PM

29,033 posts, read 44,426,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
CONS: My local optician will give the eyewear prescription but refuses to give my frame measurement: pupil distance..Bridge frame ..etc.

To be clear...I am prone to dropping...misplacing and yes losing my prescription glasses. My main goal is to have sight!! I really am pragmatic in eyewear. It serves one purpose..vision...clarity.
So..given that online has the cons..I do like that it's much less expensive when I on avg loose two pair each year.
So if anyone has good feedback on current online eyewear based on my opinion posted here..may I hear from you...thanks!
I've been ordering through Zenni Optical for years, and have been very happy! In fact, I rarely even use my employer-paid vision insurance because Zenni's still cheaper and easier. You can just estimate the pupilary distance (they give you some tips on the website), and have them adjusted somewhere like Pearl Vision or your regular optometrist... so far I've only had to do that once or twice, but perhaps my face & nose are more "standard sized" than yours.

As for durability, it really depends on the specific frames. I've had good luck with metal half-rim or full-rim styles, while plastic rims have more of a tendency to stretch in a short time. The one pair that gave me the most trouble, however, were the rimless ones I recently replaced - they were constantly coming loose & losing screws, but I don't think that's the fault of Zenni specifically. Just the nature of that style. I had those for a little over a year, and then got a pair of half-rim progressive glasses (MUCH better quality) to replace them. They cost me only $80-something even with the progressive lenses, versus the $350+ I was quoted by the optometrist AFTER applying my insurance discount.

Old 02-18-2019, 06:42 PM

2,781 posts, read 4,033,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post

You need to go to a different optician. Call first and ask if they will provide your PD before you schedule an exam.

I had my prescription but not my PD and went into a Pearl Vision center and they were more than willing to measure my PD for me.

LOVE Zenni Optical!!!!!

Old 02-19-2019, 09:18 AM

4,976 posts, read 7,841,768 times
I've done it before & had no problems. It fit good, so I may have lucked out. I guess if they didn't fit, I'd let them know right away of course, & they'll fix it or see what they can do. If all else fails, you pick another frame style OR get your money back.

I ordered from this site called Revolution Eyewear. I like their modern styles:

Home | Revolution Eyewear

Old 02-19-2019, 10:11 AM

22,100 posts, read 23,509,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
fitting is easy, just go to local eye glass shops and try on frames that fit and write down the frame sizes and lens size, etc and you will have a good idea which frame will work when you order from online optical shops

also ask the optical shop to measure your pupil distance, it should also be on your prescription
I know this poster is long gone, but I think the above advice is bad. Going into an optician's office and relying on their expertise, but then not purchasing from them is unethical.

Many of the online frame vendors have tools to allow you to find out what frames you need without wasting a professional's time.

Old 02-19-2019, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I've been ordering through Zenni Optical for years, and have been very happy! In fact, I rarely even use my employer-paid vision insurance because Zenni's still cheaper and easier. You can just estimate the pupilary distance (they give you some tips on the website), and have them adjusted somewhere like Pearl Vision or your regular optometrist... so far I've only had to do that once or twice, but perhaps my face & nose are more "standard sized" than yours.

As for durability, it really depends on the specific frames. I've had good luck with metal half-rim or full-rim styles, while plastic rims have more of a tendency to stretch in a short time. The one pair that gave me the most trouble, however, were the rimless ones I recently replaced - they were constantly coming loose & losing screws, but I don't think that's the fault of Zenni specifically. Just the nature of that style. I had those for a little over a year, and then got a pair of half-rim progressive glasses (MUCH better quality) to replace them. They cost me only $80-something even with the progressive lenses, versus the $350+ I was quoted by the optometrist AFTER applying my insurance discount.
Thanks! Appreciate the feedback

Old 02-19-2019, 02:42 PM

5,427 posts, read 4,114,930 times
I followed Zenni’s instructions and took my own PD measurement, easy and my new glasses are just perfect.

Old 02-20-2019, 10:33 AM

1,049 posts, read 2,262,879 times
I have been ordering glasses online for years. I think I'm actually addicted! I probably have enough to wear a different pair everyday for a month. By law your ophthalmologists and optometrists is required to give you a written copy of your eye exam. You can read more about it here: Complying with the Eyeglass Rule

Some websites you can upload your face picture and "try on frames". Sometimes this works, sometimes not so good. I have never really had an issue with ordering online. Once you get the hang of it, you know how frame measurements tend to fit your face. I once got frames I did not like and the store took them back. Besure to check the return policy. I started ordering from Zeelool recently (if your into funky frames).. About 10 pairs later, the are my go to site. I have also ordered from Eyebuy Direct for my casual frames (all non designer).

Old 02-21-2019, 02:30 AM

Shaylove- absolutely adore the frames at zeelool! Wow! Might order from there as one caught my eye . Will need to read the fine print. You each have given positive feedback to assure that it's a safe alternative in ordering.

Old 02-28-2019, 04:35 PM

4,976 posts, read 7,841,768 times
I just ordered my 2nd pair online today! The brand is Takumi, which is a nice, modern brand. Here's what I got in dark aqua:

https://www.simplyeyeglasses.com/eye...hp?frid=379206

The ones I've had already for the last 3 yrs were these in a deep red color by Revolution Eyewear:

https://www.gooptic.com/revolution-w...hoCgAsQAvD_BwE

If you really want something very unique Ziggy is that brand! You can easily look them up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness