U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 11:14 AM

1,953 posts, read 4,944,808 times

Advertisements

when I was a kid hardly any other kids needed prescription eye glasses? seems like these days more people wear glasses? is it from hereditary or lifestyle too much indoor activity, computers, etc?

since in the past people seemed to spend more time outdoors instead of staying inside all the time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 11:24 AM

3,185 posts, read 3,868,232 times
I'm the only one in my family that needed glasses at a young age. It's probably from spending too much time outside since I used to stare at the sun when I was a kid

I also currently have a job that's largely computer based. 12 hours a day staring at a computer screen is not great for your eyes. Even so, my vision is something like 20/40 so I'm not exactly blind without contacts/glasses. Everything's just a little blurry.

It's very possible that kids today simply have better access to glasses or are more aware that they need glasses. You'd have a hard time convincing me that minor vision loss is due to kids' lazy lifestyles today.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:36 AM

7,099 posts, read 23,889,158 times
I think it's because people are more aware that their vision is not what it should be. When I was in school, there were always those students that needed to sit up front so they could see the blackboard. They didn't wear glasses, but in today's world, they would know that having to sit up front in order to see the blackboard was not normal. They would have glasses.

There was actually those students that would have to read with their eyes just a couple of inches away from a book. They didn't get glasses. They got along without glasses, It was accepted and no one thought about glasses helping.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:20 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,440,470 times
Probably a combination of lifestyle and better diagnosis of a problem that's always existed.

I've seen those ads for instructional videos on how to correct your eyesight without surgery through various eye exercises. While I think it's mostly a scam, I wonder if the theory isn't based in some truth. Maybe before television and computers, people were more likely to do those sort of exercises naturally. But maybe that's just wishful thinking.

At the same time, there have probably always been people with poor eyesight that just managed to get by. Now kids have their sight tested and get glasses as toddlers.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:29 PM

15,527 posts, read 29,228,109 times
Every time you go to a eye doctor they give you an ever-stronger prescription whether you need it or not. It makes you even more and more dependent upon prescriptions to see. My husband just got new glasses after 5 years and they were so strong they made his eyes water. When he called the doc, he was told... "Keep wearing them, your eyes will get used to it". well doh.

I was pronounced "near sighted" when I was 20 years old and given glasses. Stupidly, I wore them and my eyes got worse almost immediately. A few years later, I threw the damn things away and have not worn them since. Now that I am older I wear reading glasses for up close work (I buy them at the drug store, over the counter). But I am so grateful that I stopped wearing glasses because my eyes would be ruined by now.

Now, granted, there are some people (like my husband who has very bad eyesight), who have no choice but to wear them, but many, many, many people are wearing them that do not have to because the "doctor told them to". Good grief, Charlie Brown.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-12-2012, 08:02 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,604,245 times
Funny, my eye doctor hasn't pushed prescriptions on me at all. In fact, I went to him for the first time, because the previous eye doctor was so old I worried -he- couldn't see the exam properly and was mis-interpreting them. The new guy came to the same conclusion: I have 20/20 vision in each eye.

However, I went in there complaining about squinting constantly when I read. So he told me to go to the dollar store and pick up a pair of 1x's. I did. Two years later, and I'm on 1.25x. I even went back to the same guy this past year because it just seemed like it was getting worse.

I know part of my problem is that my upper eyelids are starting to droop a little bit, and it's a strain to keep my eyes open all day. So by evening, my eyes are *tired.* At some point I might need to get an eye lift, but I'm really dreading the idea and hoping that these dollar-store glasses will be enough.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:22 AM

22,702 posts, read 21,750,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
when I was a kid hardly any other kids needed prescription eye glasses? seems like these days more people wear glasses? is it from hereditary or lifestyle too much indoor activity, computers, etc?

since in the past people seemed to spend more time outdoors instead of staying inside all the time
It's got to be heredity. I've always felt most comfortable out of doors and in bare feet. My vision started to fail when I was about eight years old. Two of the three siblings were already wearing glasses when I got mine. Ha! My brother was really miffed when he had to get reading when he hit 55.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:26 AM

2,095 posts, read 2,512,102 times
This article is a little bit older because I couldn't find the one that I swear I just read the other day. Of course, maybe my memory is fading along with my eyesight.

Anyway, the article ascribes incidents of myopia to have increased with computer use, etc.

Study Finds 66% Increase in Myopia in Americans aged 12-54 Years Clearview Eye Care Blog

Old 09-13-2012, 09:06 AM

16,929 posts, read 19,666,757 times
I am 41 and only started wearing glasses in 2005. Before that I was fine. My husband has been wearing glasses since 3rd grade.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:34 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,538,289 times
It's literacy. The mammalian eye did not evolve to do continuous close work (like prolonged reading), and needs to rest frequently by focusing on infinity. Reading for more than 10-20 minutes is not what the eye does best, and significant permanent harm to the eye is done at an early age from too much reading.

Today, in countries where people do little or no reading, adults in their 50s still have acute visiion comparable to an American 10-year old, provided they do not have any specific eye diseases causing vision loss. I have observed this many times, as a global birdwatcher, that farmers in South America or Asia can see the detailed fieldmarks of birds with the naked eye as clearly as I can see them with binoculars.

The Chinese have recognized this, and school children in China are required to stop their school work every half hour or so, and look out the window for a few minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness