Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 04:50 PM

34 posts, read 154,425 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm writing to see if anyone has found an effective natural herb or supplement that lowered your systolic pressure. I use Hawthorne which seems to have helped my diastolic (runs 70-75) but it hasn't done much to lower my systolic which typically runs 130-135 and sometimes as high as 145-150. I've tried deep breathing and relaxation methods but that has only a temporary effect. I'm really trying to avoid going on blood pressure meds but I don't know if I'll have a choice if I can't lower it naturally.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 06:03 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,656,070 times
Supplementing with potassium, calcium and magnesium and aerobic exercise (treadmill) and yoga, have helped lower my BP, both measurements. And drinking lots of water and less caffeine beverages.

Your readings aren't very high, if you ask me...stress can cause BP to rise...

Old 09-28-2012, 10:17 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,079,981 times
You naturally lower blood pressure with dietary changes, not supplements. Supplements will, at best, provide small improvements in your blood pressure.

My blood pressure use to be similar to yours, then I changed my diet and today its around 105/60 lower than when I was a teenager. No increase in physical activity, no reduction in caffeine, no additional supplements....just a change in diet.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:53 AM

Hi,

The reason I asked about herbs or supplements is because I do many of the other things already related to diet and exercise but my systolic still runs high. I have a clean diet, very little carbs, minimal satuated and trans fat foods, very minimal sugar, no soda or sugery drinks, only 2 small cups of coffee in the morning. I eat quite healthy overall. I exercise 5 days per week, including weights and cardio. I not only exercise at the gym but I have many outdoor activities like hiking, bicycling, playing golf (I walk, I don't use a cart). I keep my weight in check, I'm 6'1", 180 lbs, pretty lean.

I do have stress. I have a stressful situation at work that often causes some anxiety. I have a plan to retire next year from my stressful job but for the time being I am there trying to deal with the stress. I have been thinking the work stress and associated anxiety is whats driving my higher systolic readings. I've been doing deep breathing and relaxation but like I said in my original post, this has only a temporary effect.

Maybe I am blowing this out of proportion. Is systolic that runs 130-135 and sometimes as high as 145-150 and diastolic that runs 70-75 something for me to be worried about? My PCP seems to think anything over 120/80 is worrisome and he tried putting me on meds which I refused.

User_id, what dietary changes did you make to see such a significant improvement? Congrats to you.

Last edited by dave56; 09-28-2012 at 11:06 AM..

Old 09-28-2012, 01:38 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,761,776 times
How are you checking your BP? I am wondering if BP reading is accurate.

If it is stress, exercise, also what is your sodium intake?

Old 09-28-2012, 01:51 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,584,987 times
OP your BP numbers are in the high normal range. Not to be worried about. Your BP changes from minute to minute with daily activites, stress etal. Your doctor should know this.
Check this BP site out for your BP range rating and what it means.
Blood Pressure Chart - Normal Blood Pressure Range

Old 09-28-2012, 01:56 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,079,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave56 View Post
I have a clean diet, very little carbs, minimal satuated and trans fat foods, very minimal sugar, no soda or sugery drinks, only 2 small cups of coffee in the morning. I eat quite healthy overall.
If you are eating "very little carbs", then you're eating a lot of fat and protein and high blood pressure is often the result of such a diet. The only way to reduce you fat intake, thereby reducing your blood pressure, is to eat high carbohydrate foods which are naturally low in fat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave56 View Post
User_id, what dietary changes did you make to see such a significant improvement?
A switch to a high carbohydrate plant-based diet what is naturally low in fat, personally I eliminated all meat and dairy (still eat eggs here and there) but I don't think that is necessary to achieve good results so long as your diet is mostly (calorie wise 90%+) low-fat plant-foods and you stick to lean meats.

Old 09-28-2012, 02:08 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,761,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
OP your BP numbers are in the high normal range. Not to be worried about. Your BP changes from minute to minute with daily activites, stress etal. Your doctor should know this.
Check this BP site out for your BP range rating and what it means.
Blood Pressure Chart - Normal Blood Pressure Range
I'd start to get worried if it was sustained above 150. Also what has the Systolic been throughout your life? I normally run about 120/78. 16 years ago is was 110/60

Old 09-28-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
If you are eating "very little carbs", then you're eating a lot of fat and protein and high blood pressure is often the result of such a diet. The only way to reduce you fat intake, thereby reducing your blood pressure, is to eat high carbohydrate foods which are naturally low in fat.

A switch to a high carbohydrate plant-based diet what is naturally low in fat, personally I eliminated all meat and dairy (still eat eggs here and there) but I don't think that is necessary to achieve good results so long as your diet is mostly (calorie wise 90%+) low-fat plant-foods and you stick to lean meats.
Your response is interesting.

I do eat quite alot of protein because I lift weights and it's needed to build and repair muscles after hard workouts. I do eat fats but they are in the form of 'healthy' fats, they aren't saturated or trans fats. I get my protein in the forms of almonds, dry roasted pistachios, greek yogurts, chicken, shellfish, steak, skim milk, cheese.

I really wonder if my higher sytolic is related to my work stress and anxiety because if I sit down and concentrate on relaxing with deep breathing and clearing my head, after about 15 minutes or so I'll take my blood pressure and it's in the 120-125/75 range and my heart rate is around 60. Deep breathing and clearing my head really helps but like I said, it's only temporary. Maybe its a shrink that I need ..lol

Old 09-28-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
I'd start to get worried if it was sustained above 150. Also what has the Systolic been throughout your life? I normally run about 120/78. 16 years ago is was 110/60
For the last 5-6 years my systolic has typically been in the 125-135 range. Before that I'm not sure, never paid much attention to it before that. I started going for yearly physicals when I hit 50, I'm 56 now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness