U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 10:39 AM

7,810 posts, read 17,914,037 times

Advertisements

cil wrote:
Yikes, those are strong words.
I certainly agree that there can be ways other than dairy to obtain calcium, and the dairy industry can sometimes be a nasty place, but I don't agree that in order to promote good health, dairy products should be shunned.

Even Publix has hormone free milk, and organic milk from relatively happy cows is available at most supermarkets.

However, just as you say, New Age, FutureCop needs to do his own nutritional research and decide for himself.
IMO, strong words are needed to get the message across. Based on my personal experience, dairy products should indeed be shunned for those who are seeking good health. Personally, I'm addicted. I just gotta have a little bit of cheese ( usually grated romano on my otherwise healthy salad consisting of organically grown greens and vegetables ) on a daily basis. Almost immediately my sinuses get noticably congested. Even though I'm basically a health nut ( no meat, fish, fowl or eggs for 35 yrs, daily workouts and nature walks, organic foods, etc ), and I KNOW it's not good for me, I havent't found a way to beat the cheese addiction. There's gotta be something in that stuff that causes addiction.

blessings....Franco
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 11:12 AM

13,395 posts, read 42,773,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
cil wrote:
Based on my personal experience, dairy products should indeed be shunned for those who are seeking good health. Personally, I'm addicted. I just gotta have a little bit of cheese
I love cheese too.
Late in life, my grandma became lactose intolerant.
Who knows what is in store for me.
But for now I will still eat cheese.

Old 10-12-2007, 07:58 PM

9,101 posts, read 15,441,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
People need calcium. The difference between people that have a lot of calcium in their diet and those that do not, is measureable. Milk and dairy products are one of the best ways to get calcium. There are other ways, but they are usually more difficult for the average person to take advantage of.

Whole grains are an excellent food, but unless you do your own grocery shopping and all your own cooking, your best choice will be dairy products. Children with low calcium intake very often get rickets and stunted growth.

Good luck!!!
Sorry Padgett. That is a big fat Myth that the dairy assn wants us to believe. Dairy products in no way shape or form should EVER be considered a health food. Here are ten good reasons EVERYONE ought to avoid it

http://www.notmilk.com/zerodairy.html

Remember FLO JO the female Olympic Medalist and runner? She DIED after gorging on PIZZA that clogged an artery.

Old 10-13-2007, 12:47 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,572,671 times
Why do people think you can grow taller after puberty??? It's impossible.

People can grow wider, but not taller.

Old 10-13-2007, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybythebay View Post
Why do people think you can grow taller after puberty??? It's impossible.
My husband's niece grew a couple inches way past puberty, she was 19 or 20.
It really took everyone by surprise, including the niece, because previously, she had gone a year without growing anymore.
It really isn't unusual for guys to grow a bit more, though. I had a friend in college who went home after freshman year at 5'10," and came back the following fall several inches taller, with stretchmarks all up and down his back.
He loved his milk, too.

Old 10-13-2007, 02:18 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,572,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
My husband's niece grew a couple inches way past puberty, she was 19 or 20.
It really took everyone by surprise, including the niece, because previously, she had gone a year without growing anymore.
It really isn't unusual for guys to grow a bit more, though. I had a friend in college who went home after freshman year at 5'10," and came back the following fall several inches taller, with stretchmarks all up and down his back.
He loved his milk, too.
An hormonal imbalance can cause a growth spurt.
My younger bro was diagnosed with an imbalance in his early teen years.
He's now 6'8".
But most people do stop growing in height, after puberty.
There is no pill on the market or product that can do it. If anything, the scams on the market do one thing... they steal people's money for totally worthless products.

Your friend sounds like he could've been the poster child for milk...it does a body good!...and no, I'm not one of those "anti-milk" people.

Old 10-13-2007, 04:59 PM

9,101 posts, read 15,441,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
From the NO NO website:
Cow's milk is an unhealthy fluid from diseased animals that contains a wide range of dangerous and disease-causing substances that have a cumulative negative effect on all who consume it.

Yikes, those are strong words.
I certainly agree that there can be ways other than dairy to obtain calcium, and the dairy industry can sometimes be a nasty place, but I don't agree that in order to promote good health, dairy products should be shunned.
Even Publix has hormone free milk, and organic milk from relatively happy cows is available at most supermarkets.
However, just as you say, New Age, FutureCop needs to do his own nutritional research and decide for himself.

Cil, think about it. Everyone knows that for the last 100 years or so the Asians live the longest and are the healthiest right? Well guess what? The Asians DON'T CONSUME AND HAVE NEVER CONSUMED DAIRY WITH HORMONES OR WITHOUT--- as part of their regular diet!

The only thing that dairy is good for is growing baby calfs into 1000 heifers in 6 months time!

Old 10-13-2007, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybythebay View Post
But most people do stop growing in height, after puberty.
I agree, but I think guys start later and can go on longer than girls.
I do think my niece was unusual, but not unheard of.

Emily
I am not huge on milk myself, and I can appreciate that an Asian diet can be a healthy one.
However, I simply do not believe that dairy in itself is a life-threatening food.
I adore plain yogurt, eat it almost every morning, and will not quit eating it anytime soon. I am almost 53 now. Somewhere down the line I may have to adjust my diet, but this is not happening yet.

Old 10-13-2007, 06:16 PM

1,397 posts, read 4,637,609 times
Let nature do Its "job".

Old 10-13-2007, 06:17 PM

1,397 posts, read 4,637,609 times
Forgot to add that I agree with many posts before as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness