U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 10:26 AM

2,775 posts, read 11,046,817 times

Advertisements

Has anyone tried this? I've looked it up on google and found a bunch of sites about how you can grow taller by stretching and nutrition even when you're in your 20s. They say you can add about 5 inches to your height. I'm 16 3/4 years old, and I'm 5'10". I want to reach 6'!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 10:41 AM

7,100 posts, read 25,800,653 times
It's not uncommon for males to continue growing on into their early twenties. Anyone who was on some sort of exercise/nutritional program would think it was that, when acturally nothing but Mother Nature taking her own time about it.

By standing straight, you can easily add another inch. What is going to determine the final height is the length of the spine. If it's all bent from slumping, the person will be shorter that he could be.

Give youself time. Eat well, skip the junk food. Exercise so that your bones and muscles get what they need. They won't get it if all you do is sit and watch TV or play video games.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:15 AM

7,810 posts, read 17,853,762 times
Padgett2 wrote:
Give youself time. Eat well, skip the junk food. Exercise so that your bones and muscles get what they need. They won't get it if all you do is sit and watch TV or play video games.
Words of wisdom...well spoken. Pay attention to this advice and put it into practice ASAP.

blessings...Franco

Old 10-09-2007, 03:59 PM

2,775 posts, read 11,046,817 times
I've been 5'10" for almost a year. I doubt I'm done growing already. Had some fish and salad last night with a glass of milk... Hopefully the diet will help me out. I'm very athletic and active so I don't think I need any changes there.

Thanks for the replies!

Old 10-09-2007, 04:15 PM

Fish, salad and a glass of milk may not be enough for an active male of your age. You need calories to grow on.

Since you have been stable for about a year, I'm betting that you are due for another spurt of growth. Make sure you are eating enough. Some whey protein additives to that milk would be a good idea.

Old 10-09-2007, 07:37 PM

618 posts, read 1,541,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
Has anyone tried this? I've looked it up on google and found a bunch of sites about how you can grow taller by stretching and nutrition even when you're in your 20s. They say you can add about 5 inches to your height. I'm 16 3/4 years old, and I'm 5'10". I want to reach 6'!

I'm read in magazines that by eating right and such won't help you grow any taller than you genetically are suppose to. I definately recommend working on your posture. By doing exercises for your back, you not only can appear taller, but can help your overall health.

Old 10-11-2007, 10:44 PM

9,101 posts, read 15,383,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
I've been 5'10" for almost a year. I doubt I'm done growing already. Had some fish and salad last night with a glass of milk... Hopefully the diet will help me out. I'm very athletic and active so I don't think I need any changes there.

Thanks for the replies!
Skip the dairy and the refined wheat (which turns to sugar). Dairy, unlike what the American Dairy Assn wants up to believe does NOT do a body good. In fact the protein from the dairy LEACHES OUT Calcium in hyour bones which, of all things --- ESPECIALLY if you want your bones to grow so you can get taller ---- would NOT be a good thing.

Eat more WHOLE GRAINS like whole grain brown rice, amaranth, quinoa, millet. Introduce SEA VEGETABLES into your diet http://www.efn.org/~sundance/Seaweed.html

You can get everything at Whole Foods or a good local health food store NOT a GNC.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:01 AM

People need calcium. The difference between people that have a lot of calcium in their diet and those that do not, is measureable. Milk and dairy products are one of the best ways to get calcium. There are other ways, but they are usually more difficult for the average person to take advantage of.

Whole grains are an excellent food, but unless you do your own grocery shopping and all your own cooking, your best choice will be dairy products. Children with low calcium intake very often get rickets and stunted growth.

Good luck!!!

Old 10-12-2007, 08:37 AM

7,810 posts, read 17,853,762 times
Default Research and decide for yourself!

emilybh wrote:
Skip the dairy and the refined wheat (which turns to sugar). Dairy, unlike what the American Dairy Assn wants up to believe does NOT do a body good. In fact the protein from the dairy LEACHES OUT Calcium in hyour bones which, of all things --- ESPECIALLY if you want your bones to grow so you can get taller ---- would NOT be a good thing.

Padgett2 wrote:
People need calcium. The difference between people that have a lot of calcium in their diet and those that do not, is measureable. Milk and dairy products are one of the best ways to get calcium. There are other ways, but they are usually more difficult for the average person to take advantage of.
I'm strongly inclined to agree with Emily on this one. Drinking milk and eating dairy products is a NO NO when it comes to good health. Ultimately you'll have to do your own research and form your own conclusions.

blessings...Franco

Old 10-12-2007, 10:11 AM

13,395 posts, read 42,660,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
I'm strongly inclined to agree with Emily on this one. Drinking milk and eating dairy products is a NO NO when it comes to good health. Ultimately you'll have to do your own research and form your own conclusions.

blessings...Franco
From the NO NO website:
Cow's milk is an unhealthy fluid from diseased animals that contains a wide range of dangerous and disease-causing substances that have a cumulative negative effect on all who consume it.

Yikes, those are strong words.
I certainly agree that there can be ways other than dairy to obtain calcium, and the dairy industry can sometimes be a nasty place, but I don't agree that in order to promote good health, dairy products should be shunned.
Even Publix has hormone free milk, and organic milk from relatively happy cows is available at most supermarkets.
However, just as you say, New Age, FutureCop needs to do his own nutritional research and decide for himself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness