Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2012, 06:49 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times

Advertisements

We're suffering. You're probably suffering too. Our computer chairs are a health issue!

I bought a computer chair for my son's room. I got it from Sams. It wasn't the most expensive chair, but it wasn't the cheapest. Last year, when he was out of state for the winter, I was using his computer quite a bit. My legs were killing me. It took me months to figure out the computer chair was the culprit. I thought it was just because I was spending too much time on the computer so I cut back.

My son came home in the spring. He injured his foot and has been in physical therapy all summer. He was complaining about his legs. At first I didn't make the connection since he was in physical therapy. Then I remembered THE CHAIR. I told him it's that darn chair, it's cutting off nerves or something.

If you spend a lot of time on the computer and don't have pain anywhere, what chair do you use?

If your chair is killing you, share what one you have so others can avoid it!

Ours is a black leather Aviso executive chair. It has a steel beam at the edge of the front of the seat that causes pressure on the back of the thigh, just before the knee, and causes nerve and circulation problems. Don't buy it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2012, 07:29 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
For people who put their feet down when they sit, I recommend the Tempur-Pedic line. Same cushioning foam used in the mattresses and pillows, firm but yielding to the countours of the body. They run close to $300 but if you're looking for health -and- general comfort, I can't think of anything better.

I don't put my feet down when I sit; I fold my legs underneath me on the chair seat (yoga style). This keeps my posture erect, my spine aligned, my neck unstressed, and the backs of my thighs aren't touching anything at all, let along the edge of some nasty chair. And so, it doesn't really matter what kind of chair I sit on, as long as the arms don't get in the way of my knees and the keyboard drawer can come -over- my legs like a lap-desk. In most cases, that requires that my chair not have arms at all, or are removed after assembly.

Old 10-13-2012, 09:37 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
We have had several people try to use the big ball but the ergonomics people in HR won't allow it. They have ended up with the standing system. I have a mid-range office armchair and have no issues as I get up and walk around to check on my staff often.

Old 10-13-2012, 03:11 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
A weighted exercise ball makes a good seat because you can bend your knees to the most comfortable angle.

For me, the height of the chair is what makes the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness