U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2012, 11:35 PM

2,791 posts, read 3,554,588 times

Advertisements

I have had an odd thing going on with my right eye for quite some time, hoping someone can help. It started out as a "spot" on my eye, where when I would look at a white wall, I would see a spot. The spot grew, turned into like a little "sperm", for lack of a better description. Then it turned into a lightning bolt.....& the bolt keeps growing. I went to an optometrist some yeas back, he couldn't tell me what it was, said it wasn't related to my eyes, but my brain. We recently cancelled my husbands's insurance, because it was too costly and basically useless for what it covers. Any ideas what this could be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 12:00 AM

21,498 posts, read 26,102,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
I have had an odd thing going on with my right eye for quite some time, hoping someone can help. It started out as a "spot" on my eye, where when I would look at a white wall, I would see a spot. The spot grew, turned into like a little "sperm", for lack of a better description. Then it turned into a lightning bolt.....& the bolt keeps growing. I went to an optometrist some yeas back, he couldn't tell me what it was, said it wasn't related to my eyes, but my brain. We recently cancelled my husbands's insurance, because it was too costly and basically useless for what it covers. Any ideas what this could be?
You need to see an ophthalmologist --- a physician, not an optometrist.

What you have could be a simple floater, which is common and not dangerous, or it could be a sign of a retinal tear or detachment, which is potentially dangerous.

Eye floaters: Symptoms - MayoClinic.com

Old 10-14-2012, 09:30 AM

19,632 posts, read 53,495,108 times
What she said! Your eye is worth any cost. Optometristds are not medically trained and they cannot diagnose a medical problem. Only an ophthalmologist can do that.

Old 10-14-2012, 01:48 PM

5,119 posts, read 12,720,764 times
Or, you could have an "occular migraine" which doesn't necessarily mean you have a migraine headache!....but it needs to be checked. A retinal tear or detachment can lead to blindness...it's VERY serious!

Old 10-14-2012, 02:26 PM

21,498 posts, read 26,102,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Or, you could have an "occular migraine" which doesn't necessarily mean you have a migraine headache!....but it needs to be checked. A retinal tear or detachment can lead to blindness...it's VERY serious!
I've had an ocular migraine. The eye symptoms from that resolve. The OP has a continuing problem that has been going on "for quite some time."

That does not sound like ocular migraine.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:54 AM

2,391 posts, read 3,867,557 times
Yep, you need to see an eye doctor ASAP~! It could be serious and you need a professional to check it out. Hopefully, you've seen one by now and aren't relying on what we say here since we're not professionals~!

Old 10-15-2012, 11:52 AM

16,935 posts, read 19,680,616 times
Go to an opthomologist ASAP!

Old 10-15-2012, 12:04 PM

27,492 posts, read 17,642,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I've had an ocular migraine. The eye symptoms from that resolve. The OP has a continuing problem that has been going on "for quite some time."

That does not sound like ocular migraine.
I've had those too, never last more then an hour. It's your eyesight, please get to an opthomologist as soon as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness