Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you even had Gout?
Yes. 8 25.81%
No. 15 48.39%
Yes, and taken meds/and watch my diet. 5 16.13%
What is gout? 3 9.68%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 09:57 AM

4,468 posts, read 7,999,911 times

Advertisements

Ever have an acute GOUT ATTACK. I haven't had an attack like this
for over 17 years. I "try" and watch my diet, cut way back on those rare rib steaks
and other items. However for some reason I slightly twisted my R ankle and then
had a real gouty arthritis flare up and my uric acid was high.
I take Alluprinol (sp) 300 mg QD and was now put on Prendisone for a taper routine which helped
with in one day.

I have been doing more reasearch re gout/diet and found some things that I wasn't aware of

Fatty fish and seafood (tuna, shrimp, lobster and scallops) are associated with increased risk of gout. Because all meat, poultry and fish contain purines, limit your intake to 4 to 6 ounces ONLY.... (113 to 170 grams) daily.

They also cited that it is best to avoid beverages sweetened with high-fructose corn syrup, such as soft drinks or juice drinks, been drinking a lot of Coke etc lately:hamd. Juices that are 100 percent fruit juice do not seem to stimulate uric acid production as much.

Spinich is one item I love cooked and in salads and have been hitting it pretty heavy lately along with
Along with my pinto beans both need to be cut way back.
Mushrooms, cauliflower, are also on the NO list,

Alcohol consumption is the lowest for me in years; although the diet's say that 1-2 glasses of red wine is ok

I really like Dark cherry juice/grape juice and those work to help alleviate the Uric acid

AND lots of water..

So, anyway just though I might make mention of this as we approach the holiday season and most of
us like to enjoy the foods of yule etc..

Oh, and it seems that the "Kings Disease" as it was know was targeted towards men more then
women??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 11:34 AM

5,404 posts, read 15,987,564 times
Diet can help, but so will a drug, like Allopurinal.....it stops the body from making the uric acid crystals in the 1st place!

Hubby had 2 very SEVERE gout attacks...and once the doctor put him on Allopurinal, he's not had another. He doesn't have to give up foods he enjoys...or beer! Beer is a bad thing with uncontrolled gout!

Old 10-19-2012, 12:00 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,011,510 times
It's a ridiculous story -- and my only story -- about gout.

Two years ago, starting in mid-December, my left leg started hurting me at the ankle. It really hurt, was tender to the touch, and walking was excruciating. By mid-January, my husband had convinced me to go to the doctor. (Yes, I'm a wee bit stubborn.)

The doctor checked me out, I screeched at every tender touch, and she said, "I think it's gout." I replied, "GOUT??? I'm a woman in her mid-40s and, besides, I really don't think that my diet supports that diagnosis." She argued with me for a while and finally said, "Well, we can take an x-ray, but I really think it's gout."

I went to be x-rayed.

Upon the doctor's return, she said, "Well, yeah, you were right, it's not gout. You've got a fracture in two places."

(I turned to my husband and said, "At least it's not broken!!" He told me that a fracture IS a break. Oh. OK.)

That's been my experience with (not) gout, but I'm not sure which is worse -- a broken leg or gout. Probably gout; a leg heals easily. Take good care of yourself, HW.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:08 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
My mom was diagnosed with gout recently and we really don't know much about it. So seafood, spinach, cauliflower, mushrooms, beans are all items to avoid???

Geez, I'm going to have to talk with my mom. She eats these things every day practically. Anything else to be on the lookout for?

Old 10-19-2012, 12:12 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,449,372 times
I'm prone to gout but don't take any meds. Usually there's fair warning a few of days in advance, an ache, some tenderness. When I'm aware I just drink lots of water and cut back on dietary culprits. That's usually enough as long as I catch an impending attack before the "point of no return" when one is inevitable.

Boy, they're painful.

Old 10-19-2012, 02:12 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Wold View Post
Ever have an acute GOUT ATTACK. I haven't had an attack like this
for over 17 years. I "try" and watch my diet, cut way back on those rare rib steaks
and other items. However for some reason I slightly twisted my R ankle and then
had a real gouty arthritis flare up and my uric acid was high.
I take Alluprinol (sp) 300 mg QD and was now put on Prendisone for a taper routine which helped
with in one day.

I have been doing more reasearch re gout/diet and found some things that I wasn't aware of

Fatty fish and seafood (tuna, shrimp, lobster and scallops) are associated with increased risk of gout. Because all meat, poultry and fish contain purines, limit your intake to 4 to 6 ounces ONLY.... (113 to 170 grams) daily.

They also cited that it is best to avoid beverages sweetened with high-fructose corn syrup, such as soft drinks or juice drinks, been drinking a lot of Coke etc lately:hamd. Juices that are 100 percent fruit juice do not seem to stimulate uric acid production as much.

Spinich is one item I love cooked and in salads and have been hitting it pretty heavy lately along with
Along with my pinto beans both need to be cut way back.
Mushrooms, cauliflower, are also on the NO list,

Alcohol consumption is the lowest for me in years; although the diet's say that 1-2 glasses of red wine is ok

I really like Dark cherry juice/grape juice and those work to help alleviate the Uric acid

AND lots of water..

So, anyway just though I might make mention of this as we approach the holiday season and most of
us like to enjoy the foods of yule etc..

Oh, and it seems that the "Kings Disease" as it was know was targeted towards men more then
women??
Hubby has only had one really bad attack, yes he is on meds for , the same one you take, and he drinks lots of water. Other than that he really doesn't worry too much about it. He isn't a huge drinker, but he does like a scotch on weekends and/or a couple of glasses of wine at night. We have cut way back on our red meat, not for that reason particularly, but we just don't eat as much meat as we used to...We are huge veggie eaters..he watches the salt, I watch it go on my food...:rolleyes

I didn't know about the spinach, he eats a lot of it as well.

Old 10-19-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Diet can help, but so will a drug, like Allopurinal.....it stops the body from making the uric acid crystals in the 1st place!

Hubby had 2 very SEVERE gout attacks...and once the doctor put him on Allopurinal, he's not had another. He doesn't have to give up foods he enjoys...or beer! Beer is a bad thing with uncontrolled gout!
cb, that is pretty much the way hubby handles it, his doctor didn't really suggest he cut back on any foods, so he just watches certain things, yes, takes Allopurinal and pretty much eats what he wants. Years ago, doctors always associated Gout with booze, those days seem to have changed a little.

Old 10-19-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
My mom was diagnosed with gout recently and we really don't know much about it. So seafood, spinach, cauliflower, mushrooms, beans are all items to avoid???

Geez, I'm going to have to talk with my mom. She eats these things every day practically. Anything else to be on the lookout for?
I think diet can be very important in some cases, but if these are foods she really enjoys, before I would even think about eliminating them I would have her speak with a doctor. What works for one person doesn't always work for another.

Nita

Old 10-19-2012, 03:30 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,535,438 times
Husband has dealt with it. His entire foot swelled up like a bowling ball. It hurt to the touch; the sheet made him wince.

He was told to limit the steaks, most alcohol, and completely eliminate red wine and organ meats.

He's only had it one time since his bowling ball foot - knock on wood.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:50 PM

20,926 posts, read 28,393,733 times
I have a friend that has it and takes meds, he does not eat red meat but not because of the gout. He just never liked red meat.He does not drink alcohol, or coffee either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness