Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 07:24 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,630,918 times

Advertisements

I dunno. Why are the Japanese so big? (proof of it right here: Sumo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Why are Germans so big? (Proof here: Obesity in Germany - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
Or Italian children.. or people from Spain.

In every country, you'll find fat people. Why is that?

And in every country you'll find very skinning undernourished people. Why are Chinese so skinny and unhealthy looking? Why are Africans so dark?
Why do so many Indians have black hair???!!!!!

OMG IT'S A CONSPIRACY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 08:02 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,345,355 times
Americans are big because they eat too big. Apparently the average calorie intake per American is over 3000 a day, whereas the average built adult only needs 2200-2500.

Oh yes and one last thing I'll add.

BS to the crap people spew in threads like this about it being too expensive to eat healthy. It bloody well isn't. Infact if people really don't have much money, as in post World-War-II days, they'll be thinner, due to not eating very much. Also, "unhealthy" sugary, fatty foods are much more expensive than healthy fresh groceries, not ones all wrapped up in plastic. It's the lamest and most pathetic excuse, grow up and stop using it. And to anybody who wants to challenge me on it, your welcome, I will squash you. I seen the prices of ridiculous expensive fast food and "ready meals" people claim is so cheap and convenient, and you can spend (if short on budget) a matter of cents on your lunch if you have a baked potato with a bit of cheese, oil, whatever, some salad, and a glass of water.

As for "not enough time to prepare meals" well neither do I, it ain't hard to make a quick healthy sarnie or eat a piece of fruit (which costs cents.) oh and eating TOO MUCH causes obesity, if you really have not much money, you won't be fat, you won't afford to be. When I get short of the dough and my bank balance is looking low my weight soon follows.

Last edited by Weatherfan2; 10-21-2012 at 08:12 PM..

Old 10-22-2012, 12:55 AM

32,759 posts, read 35,972,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
You're probably looking at people (in neighborhoods) on the lower economic scale. Obesity correlates inversely with income. Go to a mall in a high rent neighborhood. Lots of hot women there.
He's going to Temple in Philly. Campus is great. Some of the surrounding neighborhoods leave a lot to be desired.

Old 10-22-2012, 06:14 AM

10,746 posts, read 25,867,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Li View Post
I see a lot of fat women but overall I see a lot of fat American men and women and this has to be the first time in all of my world travels that I have ever seen fat kids, like American kids.

What is the issue. I came here to go to Temple Uni for my PhD and the first thing I noticed about Americans is how big they are.

Because they eat too much and move too little.

Old 10-22-2012, 06:46 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,943,308 times
Monsanto/ADM/Cargill et.al. + government policy = less healthy food choices (and more pollution).

Well, that and potato chips.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:54 AM

7,056 posts, read 12,565,197 times
I don't think we have a culture of healthy eating here in the U.S. And junk food equals junk bodies.

Grocery stores have aisles of "Snack/Junk" foods--all heavy on calories and empty of nutrition.

Same for fast food drive-throughs--heavy on calories, empty of nutrition..

Same for chain restaurants--heavy on calories, empty of nutrition.

We drink sodas--heavy on calories and empty of nutrition.

We eat very little "real" food, and lots of fake, made-from chemicals food-like things.

And we don't exercise nearly enough.

In other words, our culture emphasizes poor nutrition, huge servings and a sedentary life style. It takes a lot of thought to eat in a healthy way here. And most of us don't take the time and make the effort. We'd rather take a pill to fix us once our health is broken.

Ever seen cattle in a feed lot being fattened up prior to being turned into hamburger? They look a lot like us.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:07 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,425,004 times
Americans are so big because they have easy access to cheap and unhealthy food and (most of them) take little to no exercise. Most people have no idea of what a healthy meal or portion is. Even the portions in restaurants are ridiculously large. Healthy food is expensive and many people can't or won't pay for it. But even if your diet is lousy, if you are able-bodied you can still get out of the house and walk. It's just that a lot of people won't.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:32 PM

12,998 posts, read 13,579,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
It's really, really easy to be thin. It's very simple. Just good choices. The only reasons people are fat are 1) They don't realize ice cream and candy are more fattening than carrots and lettuce OR 2) They want to be fat in the first place.

Just follow this recommendations. Anyone can do it. It's really easy.

Write down every calorie you consume in a journal
Make wise eating decisions
Overcome your eating addictions
Change your relationship with food
Don't diet; instead change your lifestyle
Always measure your food quantities
Eat in moderation
Use portion control
Use will power to your advantage
Realize it isn't hunger that is making you hungry
Choose healthier alternatives
Don't eat for emotional reasons
Chew your food 10 times before swallowing
Choose carrot sticks instead of french fries
Choose 4 oz of melon instead of a scoop of ice cream
Eat lettuce instead of bread
If you must eat bread, then choose 22 grain bread
Choose air popped popcorn instead of cookies
Choose grilled or broiled fish instead of a hamburger
Choose grilled or broiled chicken instead of pizza
Don't eat if you are not hungry
Always eat breakfast even if you are not hungry
Never eat in the car, in front of the TV, in front of the computer, while reading, if you have something on your mind, or if you are in a rush
At restaurants, always take half the meal home
Avoid sugary drinks
Drink water instead of alcohol
Eat six smaller meals instead of three big meals
Ensure all meals last at least 30 minutes - eat slowly
Always order coffee black - avoid hidden coffee drink calories
Avoid hidden calories such as in deluxe salads and dressings
No grazing
I agree with all of the above. Generally, I do all of these. I splurge two or three times a week on a meal or two, not two or three times a day like most Americans. Also, my splurges are probably healthier tahn many Americans "healthy" choices. As a result, I am the size of a normal human being... meaning that I am MUCH smaller than the typical American... I'm 5'10" and 140 lbs. I have a lean, muscular frame and do not in any way look anorexic... and I'm not. I eat more than most do... I just eat food that is nutritious and not calorie dense crap.

I wish more Americans would realize what abormal, unnatural freaks we are becoming by insisting on eating a garbage diet.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:44 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,128,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
Americans are so big because they have easy access to cheap and unhealthy food and (most of them) take little to no exercise. Most people have no idea of what a healthy meal or portion is. Even the portions in restaurants are ridiculously large. Healthy food is expensive and many people can't or won't pay for it. But even if your diet is lousy, if you are able-bodied you can still get out of the house and walk. It's just that a lot of people won't.
I think the lask of exercise is a bigger problem than always what we eat...or don't eat.

I must also be one of the few responding to this thread that took offense to the Ops question to some degree...

Old 10-22-2012, 03:26 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,791,090 times
In days of yore Americans ate a lot more than they do now. Breakfast could consist of 4-6 eggs, half a pound of bacon, half a loaf of bread, potatoes, a couple of pints of cider or beer and a piece or 2 of pie, per person.
The difference between then and now was that between work and walking everywhere they worked those calories off.

Also, Americans are taller than other peoples. I was born in 1951 and we were all taller than our parents, especially those of us who had parents from other countries. It was the vitamins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness