U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2012, 07:17 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,515,386 times

Advertisements

This has been going on for several months now. I've been a runner for most of my life--never a whole lot of miles, but somewhere between 4 and 5 every other day. On the days I don't run, I lift weights--mostly an upper body workout.

In late August of this year, I began having knee pain in my right knee. This usually began after a run, but not always. It would come and go unexpectedly. It never really interfered with my runs, but I began cutting them short to say 3 or 3.5 miles. After my running regimen in Sept. and Oct. the knee pain generally went away only to recur a few days later, usually at night.

I've been tracking my right knee pain here lately and I've found this out from my own observations. The knee pain is on the inside side of the knee-so on the left side of the patella--and it hurts really really bad when I straighten or bend my knee. If I don't move it, it doesn't hurt much--but sharp pain if I bend or straighten. The knee pain generally begins in the night, around 3 a.m. and it seems to start only on Wednesday and Thursday nights of each week. By Friday afternoon, the pain is gone completely and does not return for another six or seven days--usually on the following Wednesday or Thursday. It starts in the night and is so bad that I can hardly get out of bed. Then it keeps me up for the rest of the night. I limp around throughout the day and then it becomes tolerable--only to return again at night. Again, as I've said, by Friday afternoon it's like my right knee never hurt and it stays like this until late Wednesday night/Thursday early a.m.

I've iced my knee in the night but that doesn't really do anything. I've taken Ibuprofen and that doesn't really do anything. The pain generally goes away as inexplicably as it starts each week. There's not much if any swelling and I have not had any kind of a knee injury ever.

If anyone knows what the heck this is, I'm all ears. I'm thinking it's arthritis and I'm in the age range for arthritis--but none of my other joints hurt.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2012, 07:49 AM

26,346 posts, read 80,739,113 times
Have you visited a qualified medical professional with experience and instruments such as X-rays and MRIs? What did he say?

Old 11-22-2012, 10:19 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,635,104 times
What is the relation of Wednesday to your running/work routine?

ETA: Did you just buy some running shoes off the shelf, or did you go to a running store to get fitted? The right shoe is very important when it comes to protecting the knee.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:21 AM

26,346 posts, read 80,739,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post

ETA: Did you just buy some running shoes off the shelf, or did you go to a running store to get fitted? The right shoe is very important when it comes to protecting the knee.
Also, what color are the shoes?

Old 11-22-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Have you visited a qualified medical professional with experience and instruments such as X-rays and MRIs? What did he say?
Yeah, I need help with my pain. I don't need to throw money away on a doctor.

Old 11-22-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:

No I didn't get fitted. I generally get new running shoes via online retailers every six or nine months. I've done this for years. If it's the shoes, then why would the knee pain all of the sudden begin?

Old 11-22-2012, 03:48 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,635,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiogenesofJackson View Post
No I didn't get fitted. I generally get new running shoes via online retailers every six or nine months. I've done this for years. If it's the shoes, then why would the knee pain all of the sudden begin?
To me is sounds like runner's knee. Not sure about the suddenness, but then again it's not really sudden because it keeps happening every week. Proper shoes fitted to your arch and stride can really help, and most running stores will fit you for free with no obligation to buy.

Old 11-23-2012, 07:11 AM

Quote:
To me is sounds like runner's knee. Not sure about the suddenness, but then again it's not really sudden because it keeps happening every week. Proper shoes fitted to your arch and stride can really help, and most running stores will fit you for free with no obligation to buy.
It began all of the sudden around August of this year and I've been an avid runner since 1989. I've never had knee pain like this and it's so weird because it goes away for a good part of the week only to return about six, seven days later. That's what's so puzzling. Also, it only hurts when I bend or straighten my right knee.

But I'll take your advice. I'll go get fitted for some good running shoes and see if that changes things any.

Old 11-23-2012, 11:02 AM

4,670 posts, read 5,829,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiogenesofJackson View Post
It began all of the sudden around August of this year and I've been an avid runner since 1989. I've never had knee pain like this and it's so weird because it goes away for a good part of the week only to return about six, seven days later. That's what's so puzzling. Also, it only hurts when I bend or straighten my right knee.

But I'll take your advice. I'll go get fitted for some good running shoes and see if that changes things any.
There are quite a few different problems that you could have. I developed a torn meniscus at age 50 after never having knee pain. I had run three marathons without knee problems. I bought a new pair of running shoes at a specialty running shoe store and the owner talked me into a pair of inserts that went under the balls of my feet. I went for an 8 mile run and the next day had intense knee pain on the inside of my right knee. I was not able to run for a couple of months and have had recurring knee pain for years. I eventually had arthroscopic surgery but it didn't do much good.

If you have a torn meniscus or arthritis, there is nothing that is going to cure the problem. I would suggest the following:

1. See a good sports medicine doctor who can diagnose exactly what the problem is. I would recommend someone who is not a surgeon who works with athletes. He will probably recommend an MRI and physical therapy. For a torn meniscus, he will likely recommend arthroscopic surgery. This removes the part of the meniscus that is injured. This means you are losing the shock absorption that the meniscus provides.

2. If you are diagnosed with arthritis, ask the doctor about Synvisc or something similar. This is an injection that adds the natural knee lubricant to your knee. Some people get excellent results with these injections. It is not a cure and is temporary. If it works, the effect might last for 4 months to over a year.

3. Go to a running shoe store where they understand running shoes. This will take some research or a recommendation from someone if you don't know where a store like this is located. Do not go to Dick's, Finish Line or virtually any store in a mall. A specialty running store will analyze your foot pronation. See this for more info Shoe Advisor | Runner's World & Running Times You then need to replace your running shoes after about 400 miles since they lose their cushioning over time. Some people like to rotate two pair of running shoes. You could try similar style running shoes (motion control, stability) from two different shoe companies.

4. You might want to try supplements like glucosomine, chondrotin, hyaluronic acid, fish oil and MSM. I have recently started using hyaluronic acid and it seems to help more than anything else.

5. You other option is to use NSAIDs to reduce the pain. You can try ibuprofen or naproxen to see if that helps with the pain.

Old 11-23-2012, 12:02 PM

8,957 posts, read 16,997,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
THIS is the only valid answer at this point.

ALL other responses are irrelevant and may do harm if followed or taken seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness