U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 03:30 AM

1,093 posts, read 435,210 times

Advertisements

Hospitals are a slaughterhouse. We pay these people at our ultimate time of need and put our lives in there hands and leave with PTSD and a Mental Illness.

Fix Health Care and many of our other problems will most likely fix themselves.
Finacial
Addiction
Mental Illness
Mass shootings
All these and more are linked to Health Care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2018, 05:12 AM

9,564 posts, read 6,804,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
What I find rude is paying for a doctor I've never seen because in place is put a PA or NP. Really?!

And most of them are in possession of egos that are equal to those with medical degrees/ of doctors.

People, you did not go to medical school!

Get over yourself!
If you're seen by a PA or an NP, he/she should be identified as the provider for this encounter sent to the insurance company for reimbursement. At least that's what they do with the PAs and NP's I have seen. And I don't think I've met one who hasn't been very professional, thorough, and listened to what I had to say. Maybe I have just been lucky.

Old 02-18-2018, 06:17 AM

8,514 posts, read 18,562,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
After she identified herself I let her continue. After thinking about it for a couple days I did send a message to the hospital saying what had happened. I asked that protocols there require staff to wear name tags and to introduce themselves, especially when they are doing actual procedures. I already know that name tags are required, but she wasn't wearing one and it wasn't like I was the first patient of the day. My appt. was at 11AM.

If you already know that name badges need to be worn, why did you allow a staff member, sans badge, touch you? Doesn't matter how many other patients she saw that day...it should've stopped with you. Well, honestly it should've stopped the instant she got to work...we check for name badges on all employees as the badge allows access to locked areas.

Old 02-18-2018, 09:05 AM

2,677 posts, read 940,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
If you already know that name badges need to be worn, why did you allow a staff member, sans badge, touch you? Doesn't matter how many other patients she saw that day...it should've stopped with you. Well, honestly it should've stopped the instant she got to work...we check for name badges on all employees as the badge allows access to locked areas.
I just wanted to get the stitches out and be on my way. That, and I've come to have very low expectations for Medical Assistants. Occasionally I encounter one with a professional demeanor and who knows what she is doing, but more often than not their lack of training shows. In this case I will say she knew how to remove the stitches. It was just the lack of identification/communication that was the problem.

Old 02-18-2018, 09:25 AM
Status: "I have strong opinions and won't apologize for them." (set 2 days ago)

8,552 posts, read 3,236,578 times
In my state, there is a law that all hospital workers have to wear name tags so you will know who you are dealing with. I think it's only fair that if someone is working on your body, you have a right to know who they are.

Old 02-21-2018, 11:57 AM
Status: "impatiently waiting for Summer!" (set 18 days ago)

1,821 posts, read 619,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abigail1985 View Post
Have you ever had to deal with rude hospital staff?

Something I've noticed from hospital staff is that they love rushing you (to sign papers, to leave, etc.). They love to talk loudly and say things such as "I'm so tired of all these patients!" while looking at us waiting to be waited on.

Then another worker will make a comment such as, "Ugh, and even more patients are signing in. Now we have an extra 5 more to deal with..."

The other day, while I was in the emergency room, the person that hands out the release papers was extremely rude. While I was with the doctor, I could hear him complaining.

Once I was finished with the doctor, as I was walking up, I could still hear him complaining about being tired of patients, yada, yada.

Before I quite reached him, it sounded like he asked me for my ID. So, I said, "Sure, let me get it out of my purse." So, he rudely yelled, "NO, I said IV! I want to know about IV!!!" I apologized for the misunderstanding. He huffed and puffed.

Next, the medical assistant told me to be still as she checked my blood pressure. Then here comes Mr. Rude again. He rush read the release papers he had to give to me, then he tried forcing the papers into my hands even though he clearly saw I couldn't move one arm due to having my blood pressure taken -- my other hand that he tried forcing the papers into wasn't free either (the MA had placed that square thingy around my finger).

Finally, he just threw my papers into a basket on the side of me.

Maybe I'm just extra friendly. I've had times where nothing at all went right for long periods of time (months and years). Times where I almost wanted to commit suicide because I was dealing with so much that seemed never-ending, but I have never, ever took my problems out on customers.

I maintained a smile, remained very helpful and kept my issues inside until getting off work to deal with such stress. Why do companies allow such behavior nowadays? Why do workers not understand that they are getting paid to do a job instead of complaining 24/7 and making customers/clients uncomfortable?

How do you handle rude hospital workers or rude workers in general? Do you just deal with it as I do or do you file a complaint on them?
Before you go in locked and loaded for bear, remember either you or a relative or friend of yours is at their mercy.

Many hospitals are understaffed and overcrowded. They may not be intentionally rushing you so much as trying to make an effort to get everything they need from everyone.

I'm not sure why you want to take on someone venting their stress as something personal anyway. Did you apologize for assuming that the doctor was talking to you when he wasn't? No, I'm sure you didn't.

Emergency Rooms are busy places. They are there for fractures and gun shots and life and death issues. The mere word, "emergency", sort of has a sense of urgency to it. You can expect the staff to be rushed and not always as social as they would be in your internists private office.

I would suggest trying to put yourself in the staff's shoes. I'm not trying to make you feel selfish at all, I'm just trying to make you see the environment from the proper perspective. Heck! If they save your life one day, it might not bother you that they were in a hurry when they did it.

Last edited by ComeCloser; 02-21-2018 at 12:11 PM..

Old 02-21-2018, 12:03 PM

4,508 posts, read 2,055,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I had some physical therapy lately, and the therapy assistant is suppose to watch you as you do the exercises, to make sure you're doing them right. With on exercise I wasn't sure if I was following her instructions properly, I looked for her, found her in a cubicle on her Smartphone!

Smartphones: the drugs of the 21st century! They shouldn't even be allowed in health care facilities!
I agree. People on phones drive me crazy and make me angry. The cost of health care is off the charts. I likely would have asked her for her supervisor's name. Her reaction would have determined whether or not I took it further. I'm certainly not paying insurance costs for some twit to be twittering away on her dumb phone.

Old 02-21-2018, 12:07 PM

86,391 posts, read 101,378,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
In my state, there is a law that all hospital workers have to wear name tags so you will know who you are dealing with. I think it's only fair that if someone is working on your body, you have a right to know who they are.
I'd love to know how they enforce that? A state police officer on every floor? I think these incidents in this thread mostly happened in doctor's offices, anyway.

When I worked in a hospital in the 70s, name badges with first and last name e.g." Miss K. Witt, RN" were required. However, occasionally someone couldn't find their badge, forgot it, whatever, so it was appropriate to say, "I'm Katarina" or I'm "Miss Witt", etc. As time went on, it was considered unsafe to be telling everyone one's last name and the badges said "Katarina, RN". That is the kind of badge I had when working in an office. When I worked public health, I had a name tag, I honestly don't remember how it said my name.

I remember one time in the office telling a father, "I'm Katarina. I didn't forget my name tag, I couldn't find it and I've looked everywhere." He said "Quit looking for it". I replied, "I know, right?" I did eventually find it.

Old 02-21-2018, 12:08 PM

86,391 posts, read 101,378,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
I agree. People on phones drive me crazy and make me angry. The cost of health care is off the charts. I likely would have asked her for her supervisor's name. Her reaction would have determined whether or not I took it further. I'm certainly not paying insurance costs for some twit to be twittering away on her dumb phone.
Why is the immediate response always to ask who the supervisor is and report them? Why not say to the PTA, "could you put down the phone please and watch me do my exercises?" Referring to health care providers as twits is disrespectful.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:29 PM

17 posts, read 7,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Why is the immediate response always to ask who the supervisor is and report them? Why not say to the PTA, "could you put down the phone please and watch me do my exercises?" Referring to health care providers as twits is disrespectful.
Why should medical personnel be respected when they aren't doing their job,yes she is a twit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness