U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 09:57 PM

8,574 posts, read 5,111,549 times

Advertisements

Most hospitals have a patient advocate whose job is to take the side of the patient! If you are in the hospital, you can ask the floor nurse if the hospital has a patient advocate and then ask for that person to get in touch with you.

Patient advocates have the ear of the hospital CEO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 11:48 PM

15,145 posts, read 15,198,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abigail1985 View Post
Have you ever had to deal with rude hospital staff?

Something I've noticed from hospital staff is that they love rushing you (to sign papers, to leave, etc.). They love to talk loudly and say things such as "I'm so tired of all these patients!" while looking at us waiting to be waited on.

Then another worker will make a comment such as, "Ugh, and even more patients are signing in. Now we have an extra 5 more to deal with..."

The other day, while I was in the emergency room, the person that hands out the release papers was extremely rude. While I was with the doctor, I could hear him complaining.

Once I was finished with the doctor, as I was walking up, I could still hear him complaining about being tired of patients, yada, yada.

Before I quite reached him, it sounded like he asked me for my ID. So, I said, "Sure, let me get it out of my purse." So, he rudely yelled, "NO, I said IV! I want to know about IV!!!" I apologized for the misunderstanding. He huffed and puffed.

Next, the medical assistant told me to be still as she checked my blood pressure. Then here comes Mr. Rude again. He rush read the release papers he had to give to me, then he tried forcing the papers into my hands even though he clearly saw I couldn't move one arm due to having my blood pressure taken -- my other hand that he tried forcing the papers into wasn't free either (the MA had placed that square thingy around my finger).

Finally, he just threw my papers into a basket on the side of me.

Maybe I'm just extra friendly. I've had times where nothing at all went right for long periods of time (months and years). Times where I almost wanted to commit suicide because I was dealing with so much that seemed never-ending, but I have never, ever took my problems out on customers.

I maintained a smile, remained very helpful and kept my issues inside until getting off work to deal with such stress. Why do companies allow such behavior nowadays? Why do workers not understand that they are getting paid to do a job instead of complaining 24/7 and making customers/clients uncomfortable?

How do you handle rude hospital workers or rude workers in general? Do you just deal with it as I do or do you file a complaint on them?

I used to take it....the rudeness and all the other drama that dummies can dish out while doing THEIR job.

But now....someone really ****** me off, I go on the web and make a complaint there. If I confront the rude idiot in person....while, they can turn it on me and say I am threatening them and ban me from the store/business......especially women, they love to pull that ****.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:22 AM

398 posts, read 444,399 times
I'm very, very sorry that people carry as much weight and damage as they do. I also refuse to let people make THEIR problem MY problem. As a Christian I used to bite my tongue and whisper a little prayer and hope that I would not say something offensive. What changed my mind on this was seeing the same rude behavior ---done within my hearing--- so someone else (it was an elderly person at the time.) and I wasn't going to let that go.

Now, even if its something as simple as a cashier scowling at their customers, I make a comment....first to the cashier and then to their supervisor. Life is just plain hard enough without having to have others make it harder still. Certainly the paying consumer does not deserve it, but more importantly people---just the average person---doesn't deserve it.

FWIW.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:28 AM

15,824 posts, read 18,434,141 times
You go to the HR or Admin office or the Social Worker or your local ombudsman and report it just as you've written here. Use the words State...Hospitals get audited by State....Complaints are serious.

He sounds burned out. He should not be handling medical records imo...Life and death decisions should not involve ranting and raving employees. Report him immediately!

I used to be a director of s.s. at a hospital/slash nursing home. I had to deal w/ a couple of ward clerks who vented that way at me when I approached them about certain residents. But, it only happened once. I was the newbie....I addressed it w/ the DON...I said, if this is the norm in this facility let me know right now....because I will not work in a facility that considers this normal. I also told the DON that I was going to start stress education and programming immediately. She laughed..."We don't have stress"
The day of my first presentation to the CNA's this DON had invited several of her cronies...I'm pretty sure hoping that I'd fail. I had the whole group laughing, participating and learning...I knew I'd won her over when as we left the room...The DON took me aside and said..."When can you do my nurses".

So, report this guy. This is unacceptable. Believe me, if the State had been there he would be fired on the spot!

Link to Hospital Survey http://www.nbrii.com/products/hospital-surveys/
http://www.nbrii.com/blog/category/d...s-whitepapers/

Quote:
Have you ever had to deal with rude hospital staff?

Something I've noticed from hospital staff is that they love rushing you (to sign papers, to leave, etc.). They love to talk loudly and say things such as "I'm so tired of all these patients!" while looking at us waiting to be waited on.

Then another worker will make a comment such as, "Ugh, and even more patients are signing in. Now we have an extra 5 more to deal with..."

The other day, while I was in the emergency room, the person that hands out the release papers was extremely rude. While I was with the doctor, I could hear him complaining.

Once I was finished with the doctor, as I was walking up, I could still hear him complaining about being tired of patients, yada, yada.

Before I quite reached him, it sounded like he asked me for my ID. So, I said, "Sure, let me get it out of my purse." So, he rudely yelled, "NO, I said IV! I want to know about IV!!!" I apologized for the misunderstanding. He huffed and puffed.

Next, the medical assistant told me to be still as she checked my blood pressure. Then here comes Mr. Rude again. He rush read the release papers he had to give to me, then he tried forcing the papers into my hands even though he clearly saw I couldn't move one arm due to having my blood pressure taken -- my other hand that he tried forcing the papers into wasn't free either (the MA had placed that square thingy around my finger).

Finally, he just threw my papers into a basket on the side of me.

Maybe I'm just extra friendly. I've had times where nothing at all went right for long periods of time (months and years). Times where I almost wanted to commit suicide because I was dealing with so much that seemed never-ending, but I have never, ever took my problems out on customers.

I maintained a smile, remained very helpful and kept my issues inside until getting off work to deal with such stress. Why do companies allow such behavior nowadays? Why do workers not understand that they are getting paid to do a job instead of complaining 24/7 and making customers/clients uncomfortable?

How do you handle rude hospital workers or rude workers in general? Do you just deal with it as I do or do you file a complaint on them?

Last edited by JanND; 11-29-2012 at 08:38 AM..

Old 11-29-2012, 12:30 PM

14,695 posts, read 18,753,541 times
Quote:

When I had a stroke in 2006, I was in ICU for 10 days after surgery. The night nurse was very rude and complained to me about my daily test results not being good enough to get out of ICU...as if I had any control over that. And then, a few days after I finally got transferred into a regular room, a nurse came in at 10:00 PM and told me I was being discharged right then. No advanced warning at all. I had to wake my sister up and ask her to come get me.

I dont usually complain -- but, after being treated so badly by nurses in both units, I did write a letter to the hospital. I received a reply too -- not a form letter reply, but a nicely-detailed letter of apology explaining that action would be taken to ensure that my experience wasnt repeated. I've been hospitalized there several times since then and have had nothing but the best care.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:42 PM

6,044 posts, read 21,125,101 times
I would write a letter to hospital administration. It's helpful to include names of staff, dates and times of service, etc.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:22 PM

18,717 posts, read 4,702,479 times
I am so sorry to hear you were treated rudely, especially when you were already feeling bad.
I had knee replacement surgery done last month, was in the hospital 5 days and the adjacent
skilled nursing facility 4 more days, and never was I treated badly by any of the staff. The care
was excellent, I couldn't have asked for better people.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:57 AM

16,487 posts, read 20,328,308 times
I ended up having 2 major surgeries within 8 days last Jan. Both times I was in the same hospital. There were nurses that were so kind, and there were nurses that acted like they hated their job and their patients even more. I had a number of times where I had an IV attached to me and these things on my legs to prevent blood clots and needed to use the restroom. There was no way I could get myself to the bathroom, so I pressed the button to ask for help. The lady on the speaker always sounded like you were a pain in the butt for pressing that call button. One could say she probably answers a ton of these calls all day. Despite that this is her job, this is what she does to make a living, if she cannot be civil then she needs to be doing something else. Just before I left the hospital a man came in and asked me how my stay was, and asked if any of the nurses were especially kind and helpful, and was there anyone who was not professional/kind. They also mailed me asking about my experience. There's no way we are going to change every single hospital worker, but when hospital begin caring more about the patients experience and realizing they could lose patients, then things will slowly get better.

Someone mentioned how you can choose whatever hospital you want. Well that is true, except most doctors work out of a certain hospital, so if you want to keep your doctor you have to go where he practices.

Old 12-01-2012, 12:43 PM

2,391 posts, read 3,865,534 times
From what I do know, they are overworked and not staffed good. That is most likely the issue, but they shouldn't be complaining in front of others patients to hear. A lot of nurses I know work more than one job or more than 12 hour shifts, and that isn't good and definitely not good on the patients~!

Old 12-02-2012, 09:30 AM

842 posts, read 1,049,873 times
I've yet to come across professionals who complain about their job as much as healthcare staff. They are always miserable and act like dealing with patients is the biggest sacrifice in the world. Of course we know why they stay there - the money obviously. Still, it's not my fault they don't like their job, it's their problem. They work long hours...wel, so what? Billions of other people around the world also work long hours, they are not martyrs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness