U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2018, 01:24 PM

5,356 posts, read 3,343,077 times

Advertisements

Beyond rude.

I had a GI surgeon scream at me while I was on the operating table. He came in "hot" -- he didn't start by being reasonable and then lose his temper.

He threatened me with all kinds of horrible complications to the very simple procedure I was there for. He told me that I would end up with a colostomy bag for life. I knew this was wrong. I said very clearly, "I do NOT give my consent for this procedure. You're all my witnesses. I will have it done elsewhere." I tried to get up but they held me down. The anesthesiologist held my hand and comforted me.

Get this: These clowns hadn't even done a history on me and Evil Surgeon was telling me how he was going to cut open my abdomen.

I will never ever again go to an ER without checking out the hospital's reputation thoroughly.

They gave me propofol and I came back out of it with the very simple procedure done. One of the nurses said it took 5 minutes.

3 days later I get a call from the hospital. One of the staff had filed a complaint on my behalf against Evil Surgeon. It went nowhere. Oh, ES was "counseled" but he still has privileges there.

I really, really want to tell the world to avoid this place but it's against City-Data rules. And if you read their Yelp reviews alone (and nothing else), you'll know. There's more than one Evil Surgeon there, so it's a systemic problem.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 10:32 PM

2,993 posts, read 1,950,804 times
I worked in a hospital for 2 years as an IT support tech mostly printer repair back in the 90's I do remember at the nurses station working one late night and nurses talking about people like they were such a PITA an elderly woman yelled from her room for over an hour "Nurse, Nurse Nurse" they just sat there did nothing maybe she had dementia I didn't ask about it. Another time I was down in the OBGYN area working on their printers and the nurse were making fun of a obese woman who was having a baby how they had to tape back all the fat in order to get to the area they were laughing about it. I was thinking how rude they were to be talking like that about someone who probably been made fun off their entire life. I used to see families crying when someone died the staff kind of had no feeling about it like they were numb to it maybe that is just how anyone gets working there. I did get to know lot of people there some I liked most I didn't what I saw was for nursing was a tough job and many people are not cut out for it but the money is good lots of work so they stick with it for years and get really bitter.

Old 01-29-2018, 06:54 AM

1,591 posts, read 2,958,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
Toby, while there is no excuse for the staff to be rude, in today's assembly line medical system the doctor expects you to be ready for their exam before he/she enters the room. The medical assts were doing what they were expected to do, just in an unprofessional manner. To them you were just the next man in a long line of men seeing the doctor that day, and as a man the medical world does not generally consider you to be entitled to privacy or to be modest in the manner female patients are. Male staff that spoke to female patients that way would be promptly fired. There is a double standard.

Well, have you ever been in the stirrups spread wide pointed straight at the door when someone opened end the door giving the entire FILLED corridor an eyeful? Only to have the Dr. Say "Well, next time just move faster".

Ha ha, soooo funny. Hopefully, he said it in a joking manner. At they very least have a da*ned curtain to draw.

Old 01-29-2018, 11:17 AM

2,422 posts, read 775,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
Well, have you ever been in the stirrups spread wide pointed straight at the door when someone opened end the door giving the entire FILLED corridor an eyeful? Only to have the Dr. Say "Well, next time just move faster".

Ha ha, soooo funny. Hopefully, he said it in a joking manner. At they very least have a da*ned curtain to draw.
I'm sorry you had to experience the event itself and the insensitive doctor's comment. Both were inappropriate and shouldn't have occurred. I am not saying that women don't also suffer indignities, just that the medical world will at least take it seriously had you complained. It is a very different experience for men because many in healthcare don't think it matters for men.

Old 01-29-2018, 11:21 AM

15,073 posts, read 15,136,180 times
Grin and bare it, or go somewhere else.

Society is just becoming ruder and nastier as people become more and more self-centered.

Old 01-30-2018, 07:46 AM

17 posts, read 5,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
In a urologist Office I wouldn’t find the did you empty you bladder question odd, but maybe pull the person off to the side.

I have to ask if you really think the doctor wants to watch you strip? Why would you wait for him/her? They have you do that in advance because people are generally more comfortable changing into the robe in privacy.
You maybe an advocate for the office staff,yelling strip down NOW leaves a man with a terrible feeling and no respect for the patient.She was a kid younger than my grand kids.I don't go too the doctor too feel anger and frustration.The kid was a MA not a nurse, she is next to worthless.I wanted to talk to the doctor about the procedure before I disrobed(THAT'S MY RIGHT).impersonating a nurse is against the law.

Old 01-30-2018, 05:36 PM

5,560 posts, read 7,612,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toby347 View Post
You maybe an advocate for the office staff,yelling strip down NOW leaves a man with a terrible feeling and no respect for the patient.She was a kid younger than my grand kids.I don't go too the doctor too feel anger and frustration.The kid was a MA not a nurse, she is next to worthless.I wanted to talk to the doctor about the procedure before I disrobed(THAT'S MY RIGHT).impersonating a nurse is against the law.
I guess you should have listened the first time.

Old 01-30-2018, 05:46 PM

8,007 posts, read 5,258,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abigail1985 View Post
Have you ever had to deal with rude hospital staff?<>
Can't help you there. I have never experienced anything other than kindness and consideration from any hospital or other medical staff. I do understand the pressure they are under and the stress of the job, having been an EMT for 20 years, so I do compensate by trying to be polite and accommodating to staff myself.
"Even when screaming with kidney stone pain."

Last edited by Crashj007; 01-30-2018 at 05:46 PM.. Reason: pain

Old 01-30-2018, 05:51 PM
Status: "I used to have a lead foot, but now it's aluminum." (set 3 days ago)

5,122 posts, read 3,631,058 times
Unfortunately, I have spent a lot of time in hospitals over the last three plus years, upwards of 300 days total. I find most of the rude ones are actually doctors or surgeons and there's not much you can do about them depending on the size of the hospital. One time I was in for six months and had a series of doctors. One was a PITA, but since they weren't on rotation more than a week at a time, I just suffered him.

At the ame hospital, there was one tech who was rude. Had no bedside manner. Would basically yank my arm around to check my BP. Was also loud when she came in. So one day I asked my nurse if she could send the charge nurse in and I started explaining the situation. Charge nurse whom I liked stopped me mid sentence and said, "Don't worry. I'll make sure she won't be your tech again." And she did.

The rest of the staff was super. When I finally got released, they threw me a going away party complete with gifts!

Old 01-30-2018, 05:58 PM

2,978 posts, read 1,186,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toby347 View Post
Who is impersonating a nurse? If you are acting like all the MAs are worthless, then that may be why you are getting this particular attitude you saw from them in the office. Everyone in the medical office (or any professional environment) should be treated with respect. I had a friend in my old town who has been a MA for the same doctor more than 30 years and she’s certainly not worthless and provides a valuable service to the medical practice. My father is a retired physician and considered his secretary, nurse, and PA all valuable members of the medical team/family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness