U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 01:34 PM

82,790 posts, read 95,236,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby347 View Post
CMA's completed school,MA's are not certified.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
Yes. In my State an MA is anybody that a doctor wants to call an MA. If the doctor hires a 16 year old high school drop out to work at the front desk and then wants to call her an MA that he has in the room scribing, assisting in some manner, or serving as chaperone, that's what the doctor can do. The only restriction is that an MA can't do things that requires a license to perform.

I will add that in my State you can get your LNA license (Licensed Nursing Assistant, same as a CNA in other States) w/o a high school diploma at 16 and go to work doing anything and everything an LNA is licensed to do. Most hospitals won't hire them until they turn 18 but until then they can work in nursing homes or rehab centers, or in private practices.

Again, the educational background and age of the MA is not germane to the complaint. Rudeness was the problem.
Neither one of you read the link. I guess I'll quote my allowable three:

"Choosing to become a medical assistant through on-the-job training is the fastest way to enter the field since it allows you to begin working and earn money while learning. However, choosing this path requires a great deal of persistence because it can be difficult to find a doctor that is willing to hire an untrained applicant. . . Depending upon your preferences, you may choose to earn a certificate or diploma in as little as 9-12 months, or an associate’s degree in 18-24 months."

Here's a school in my area:
https://pmi.edu/programs/certificate...tant/learnmore
Open this and read it!

toby347 has a major problem with MAs, seems to think they're uneducated dolts. I'll agree a young person 1-2 years out of high school looks pretty young to me now, but I can't imagine a doctor training his/her own MA while the person is still in high school, because it's likely they won't stick around once they graduate. Most MAs become CMAs (certified).

CNA training is much shorter 70 hours vs 700 for CMA, and a HS diploma is recommended in my state.
https://cnaclassesnearyou.com/colora...-cna-programs/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 02:44 PM

2,006 posts, read 583,301 times
Katarina, I'll agree that most doctors would not hire a 16 year old to work as an MA. My point is that in my State they can if they want. There is no regulation. MA's work cheap which is what their employers are looking for.

I agree that Toby is obsessed with MA's in general. The reality is that they inexpensively fill a niche in the medical system. I rarely see a CMA in my doctor's offices or the hospital I go to. Anyone willing to put in a years' effort can become a licensed LPN instead which is a step above CMA's. I do see lots of LPN's around. At the bottom rung they almost always have MA's doing fairly menial tasks such as bringing patients to rooms, giving instructions to undress/don a gown such as toby objected to, taking patient's weights/height etc. Stuff that has to get done and takes little in the way of training.

Old 02-08-2018, 03:56 PM

82,790 posts, read 95,236,514 times
Quote:
Katarina, I'll agree that most doctors would not hire a 16 year old to work as an MA. My point is that in my State they can if they want. There is no regulation. MA's work cheap which is what their employers are looking for.

I agree that Toby is obsessed with MA's in general. The reality is that they inexpensively fill a niche in the medical system. I rarely see a CMA in my doctor's offices or the hospital I go to. Anyone willing to put in a years' effort can become a licensed LPN instead which is a step above CMA's. I do see lots of LPN's around. At the bottom rung they almost always have MA's doing fairly menial tasks such as bringing patients to rooms, giving instructions to undress/don a gown such as toby objected to, taking patient's weights/height etc. Stuff that has to get done and takes little in the way of training.
The median wage of an MA is $15.17 The median wage of a CNA is $11.63
https://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/m...assistants.htm
How Much Does a CNA Make an Hour? | Chron.com

The higher wage reflects the additional education. My doctors' office has lots of CMAs. Maybe it's a regional thing. Actually, as an RN I did much of what you describe when I worked in a doctor's office (plus some other stuff). LPNs are not common in offices around here (Colorado). The bottom rung is CNAs and they usually don't work in dr's offices.

Old 02-09-2018, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
The median wage of an MA is $15.17 The median wage of a CNA is $11.63
https://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/m...assistants.htm
How Much Does a CNA Make an Hour? | Chron.com

The higher wage reflects the additional education. My doctors' office has lots of CMAs. Maybe it's a regional thing. Actually, as an RN I did much of what you describe when I worked in a doctor's office (plus some other stuff). LPNs are not common in offices around here (Colorado). The bottom rung is CNAs and they usually don't work in dr's offices.
Perhaps it is regional. I rarely see CMA's here but LPN's are everywhere.

Old 02-12-2018, 04:43 PM

Had a doctor's visit today that highlighted something else that I consider rude. My appt.was with a PA to have some stitches taken out on a finger. A young woman brings me to a room from the waiting area. She isn't wearing a name tag, doesn't introduce herself as to who or what she is, and she doesn't mention the PA that I have an appt.with. She just grabs my hand and starts removing the stitches. I stop her and say "And you are....?" Then I get "I'm Denise, one of the MA's, I'm taking your stitches out and then the PA will be in to see you".

How hard would it have been for her to have told me that when she first brought me to the room? How hard would it have been for her to put on her name badge that everyone else there wears?

This non-introduction as to who and what they are is all too common these days.

Old 02-16-2018, 12:26 AM

15,874 posts, read 19,024,490 times
I had some physical therapy lately, and the therapy assistant is suppose to watch you as you do the exercises, to make sure you're doing them right. With on exercise I wasn't sure if I was following her instructions properly, I looked for her, found her in a cubicle on her Smartphone!

Smartphones: the drugs of the 21st century! They shouldn't even be allowed in health care facilities!

Old 02-16-2018, 05:37 AM

8,112 posts, read 16,516,207 times
Quote:
Had a doctor's visit today that highlighted something else that I consider rude. My appt.was with a PA to have some stitches taken out on a finger. A young woman brings me to a room from the waiting area. She isn't wearing a name tag, doesn't introduce herself as to who or what she is, and she doesn't mention the PA that I have an appt.with. She just grabs my hand and starts removing the stitches. I stop her and say "And you are....?" Then I get "I'm Denise, one of the MA's, I'm taking your stitches out and then the PA will be in to see you".

How hard would it have been for her to have told me that when she first brought me to the room? How hard would it have been for her to put on her name badge that everyone else there wears?

This non-introduction as to who and what they are is all too common these days.
What did you do? Did you let her continue or did you go find the office manager and file a complaint?

It's common knowledge that all health care facilities, large and small, require all staff to wear ID. If the employee doesn't have ID, you stop them in their tracks and demand to see who's in charge.

Old 02-16-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
What did you do? Did you let her continue or did you go find the office manager and file a complaint?

It's common knowledge that all health care facilities, large and small, require all staff to wear ID. If the employee doesn't have ID, you stop them in their tracks and demand to see who's in charge.
After she identified herself I let her continue. After thinking about it for a couple days I did send a message to the hospital saying what had happened. I asked that protocols there require staff to wear name tags and to introduce themselves, especially when they are doing actual procedures. I already know that name tags are required, but she wasn't wearing one and it wasn't like I was the first patient of the day. My appt. was at 11AM.

Old 02-16-2018, 10:01 AM

19,105 posts, read 12,992,491 times
What I find rude is paying for a doctor I've never seen because in place is put a PA or NP. Really?!

And most of them are in possession of egos that are equal to those with medical degrees/ of doctors.

People, you did not go to medical school!

Get over yourself!

Old 02-16-2018, 11:14 PM

17 posts, read 4,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
What I find rude is paying for a doctor I've never seen because in place is put a PA or NP. Really?!

And most of them are in possession of egos that are equal to those with medical degrees/ of doctors.

People, you did not go to medical school!

Get over yourself!
Just to add,the doctor doesn't have to pay high salary,there not professional's they come cheap.Mostly all doctor's office staff are kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or