Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 04:18 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,694,786 times

Advertisements

My CPAP machine masks it quite well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 10:51 AM

1,318 posts, read 5,263,947 times
Not a cure but a relief...I take Lexapro. Its lessens it ALOT. And when I do notice it,it doesn't distress me like it used to. I live with it MUCH easier nowadays!

Old 05-13-2014, 07:51 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,675,006 times
Went to see ENT yesterday and had audiologist test hearing--shows I have some hearing loss in left ear where I am hearing the "ringing"...the audiologist said that it was fairly mild--not bad enough for hearing aid...the ENT offered no input and really asked no probing qustions beyond "loud music?" as to what might have caused this---but said that the hearing loss was causing the tinnitus...
I mentioned that I had been in severe auto accident about 2 yrs ago w/o any obvious injuries except seat-belt trauma although both front and side airbags deployed...I can remember having ringing in my ears and muffled hearing immediately after that impace...which dissapated within a day or so...no hearing test was done after that...

This ENT said that could have caused the damage which got progressively worse which gradually got worse and then triggered the tinnitus when it got severe enough...
I don't know if I necessarily agree with that since I have no audio profile for prior to the accident

BUT looking back I can say that for about the last year I have had difficulty at times hearing my husband when we have conversation and he is talking in what he feels is a normal tone of voice and facing away from me...I have had to ask him to repeat himself and speak louder --which frustrates him--so maybe I have had hearing loss for a while...

I am scheduled to go back in 4 mo for retest...
He offered no suggestions as to how to prevent any further hearing damage--gave RX of something which he didn't even tell me the name--just called in RX--and said use white noise machine to mask my "ringing" to help me sleep---
I think it is probably a mild tranq of some kind to help me sleep and frankly not going to take it since I don't like tranqs and from what I have read some of them are fairly ototoxic in themselves...

He didn't recommend using ear protectors in situations where loud music/noises might occur or avoiding drugs with high ototoxic side effects (and there are a lot of them) to prevent more damage/problem...

I think I got a pretty cursory exam--I expected a more thorough Q/A with the questionaire I filled out as a jumping off point--
he didn't even check for TMJ until I asked about that as possible cause for the ringing...
in fact he asked me as many questions about my amblyopia (lazy eye) than he did about my hearing...apparently he has amblyopia as well...(he is 72 so older than I am--many people over 50 have this condition because our generations were not treated/diagnosed as aggressively as infants as younger people tend to be)...

Would going to another doctor --maybe one that specilizes in tinnitus--be more satisfying?
Has anyone gone to more than one doctor and felt you had better idea of your particular problem?

I have some physical issues that could be contributing to the tinnitus as well if it is not related to the mild hearing loss specifically--have physical scheduled with primary care dr next week--

I also had ear wax removed at my family care doctor's office BEFORE I started with the sinus infections this year--it was large piece and fairly hard to remove--
I am wondering if that incident might have something to do with the tinnitus--in that they did it with too much pressure and caused a problem...
I remember that after I got home I still had the feeling of pressure and some tinnitus in my left ear...

Anyone have insight into any other reasons like artificial sweeteners that could cause this reaction?
Finding accurate information online is difficult since most comments are just anecdotal vs scientific.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:53 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,700,360 times
Did you tell the ENT about the "physical issues which might contribute to tinnitus" that you have? Did you tell him about having a big, hard plug of ear wax removed earlier this year? Did you tell him that you've had sinus infections this year? Did you ask him if he felt any of these things might contribute to your tinnitus? If you did tell him, what was his response? Why didn't you ask the doctor for the name of the prescription, the type of medication it is, and its common side effects?

Also, no one should need a doctor to tell them to protect their ears if they're going to be exposed to loud noises. That's kind of like - no one should need to tell someone to wear foot protection if they're planning on walking on broken glass. That might be why he didn't think to mention it. He probably didn't think he should have to mention it.

Something could very well have triggered your tinnitus and hearing loss, but the fact is, you have it. It might get worse, it might not. It really depends on the nature of the damage. For instance - for me, there is nothing I can do that will prevent it from getting worse. My problem is degenerative, and I've had it since I was born. Nothing triggered it. I DO know, that wearing my hearing aids tends to relieve the tinnitus for a temporary period, even after I take them out again.

Tinnitus is very common for people who have hearing loss. It's nothing to get suspicious about, it's not usually a dubious situation at all. It's just annoying. Unless, like me, it's so pervasive that you're used to it and rarely even notice it anymore. I didn't notice it today, until I started reading your post! That's HOW used to it I am

Old 05-13-2014, 02:58 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,751,562 times
I don't have hearing loss at all and have Tinnitus. Have had it for 20+ years. There is NO CURE.
The Audiologist and ENT and any other doctor won't bother discussing it much because there is NO CURE.
Best thing one can do is accept it. Learn to live with it. Eventually you may find you don't notice it as much unless you are in a place of complete silence-then it seems unbearable. I keep a sound machine with batteries on my night stand in the event of a power failure.

Old 05-13-2014, 04:23 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,700,360 times
There is no cure, because it's not a disease. There are treatments though. For some of us - hearing aids are the treatment. And in -some- people, tinnitus is a symptom of a specific nutritional deficiency, and supplementing will result in no more deficiency - therefore, no more tinnitus.

Tinnitus is not very common when it's not related to some underlying problem (such as hearing loss, which is the _most_ common cause of tinnitus). That's why when you have tinnitus, you get your hearing checked first. Fix the hearing, it fixes the tinnitus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness