U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-16-2007, 08:27 PM

746 posts, read 2,305,947 times

Advertisements

It has been shown that immune systems work better with sufficient sleep. I believe that to be true. I sleep an hour more than the average person every night, which I used to consider "lost" time, but my waking hours are pretty efficient, and I make fewer mistakes when well rested. If only employers appreciated the quality of the hours spent working, not the quantity. Studies have shown short afternoon naps also increase productivity in the end, but try telling that to a bean counter!

Then I watch what I touch when out of the house, and wash my hands a lot. I use a paper towel to open bathroom door handles. I try to remember not to scratch/touch my nose, eyes or mouth, too. I am not phobic about it, but I think twice before using shopping carts, escalater and stariway rails...and other people's phones. I have not yet gone the mini anti-bacterial wipe route, but have thought about it. There is a limit to my nuttiness.

I keep it simple and act the moment I "sense" a cold coming on. (I actually feel a change in my sinuses) For me it is 1,000 mg of Vitamin C, and just one or two of the zinc containing Coldeeze lozenges. I remember to breathe the vapors into my sinuses (breathe out through the nose, not mouth) and that works 99% of the time. From what I read, the retroviruses of the cold depend on being able to attach to the nasal passages, and the zinc blocks them from doing that.

I have not had a real cold in years. I have had the barest whisper of one that lasts for a day or so when I do all the above.

Now that I seem so sure of myself, I am sure to come down with a whopper!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 11:08 PM

8,819 posts, read 15,332,600 times
Take a pinch of cayenne pepper in fresh lemonade(heated) sweetened with maple syrup and it will just about cure the cold instantly.

I found that on a naturopathic doctor's website.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:08 AM

7,088 posts, read 12,036,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
It works on the theory that "If ya put enuf booze in it you won't care if you have a cold or not"

It does work tho.....but after drinking and swallowing jump into bed....cause you are goin OUT like a light.....
This made me laugh because it reminded me of a time I was getting sick and I couldn't miss work the next day so I came home and instead of drinking a couple shots of brandy, I drank several shots. My cold was gone the next morning but I had a bad hangover since I normally don't drink a lot anyway. So, stick to a couple of shots and let that be it.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Take a pinch of cayenne pepper in fresh lemonade(heated) sweetened with maple syrup and it will just about cure the cold instantly.

I found that on a naturopathic doctor's website.
Great idea. Do you remember the website?

Old 10-18-2007, 01:49 AM

8,819 posts, read 15,332,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
Great idea. Do you remember the website?
I had a heck of a time finding it again..but here it is:
Dr. Emily Kane > High Blood Pressure

Scroll down on the page to the second to last paragraph above 'bibliography' and it shows it.
I was searching for natural ways to lower blood pressure and that's how i ended up finding that valuable info.

Old 10-18-2007, 10:57 AM

2,895 posts, read 5,529,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
I feel a cold coming on and was thinking of what all I need to do to lessen the impact. I was wondering what you do or take when you are about to come down with a cold or when you have one?
Chicken noodle soup, and orange juice and lots of water.. an old age remedy, but it still" packs a powerful punch today"
I hope you start to feel better soon

Old 10-18-2007, 11:32 AM

7,138 posts, read 9,461,108 times
Zicam (zinc), Vit. C and saline nasal spray, lots of water, fruits. Get lots of rest. I take immune booster capsule daily, so rarely get a cold. But did just have one for a loooooong week! Must have been a bad bug.

Old 10-18-2007, 01:44 PM

Thanks PinkString for the webpage. I'll check it out. My S/O has high blood pressure.

Old 10-18-2007, 07:18 PM

12,546 posts, read 18,451,447 times
Thanks for the info and well wishes. I have sent rep points to all of you but the last two and will do so shortly. I followed many of your suggestions and did well for a day but eventually I came down with a nasty sinus infection. I started a Z-Pak tonight and will continue with fluids and other remedies.

Thanks again to everyone!

Old 10-18-2007, 11:00 PM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 2,865,349 times
When we first feel a cold coming on we drink elderberry juice diluted in water to rid us of the cold. It works quite well by flushing the bad germs and such out of your system, it's been used for years and years. I get this at our local herb shop but it can be purchased through vitamin shoppe and others online. We drink 1/4 cup diluted in a big glass of water. Depending on when we feel it coming on we would drink a glass in the morning and another before bed it just depends on how we feel. Actually this year I've managed to avoid the two colds my daughter and husband have had to fight off with it. I think the blueberries I eat every morning are helping me to stay healthy. I eat 1 1/2 cups every morning in a smoothie, between that and all the other fruits and veggies I feel it's made a big difference for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness