U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 10:25 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,472,527 times

Advertisements

I'm sooo sick of getting sick all the freaking time.
Seems like lately I get a cold once a month on average. Sometimes two in a row a couple weeks apart. Seems like all it takes is someone to cough or sneeze in the vicinity, or for me to get a bit chilled, and I get a sore throat, followed by exhaustion, congestion, dry cough, and all that nastiness. I do have a three year old so we're around kids a lot, where I probably get most of them, but the thing in spite of DS interacting more closely with the kids, I am still the one to get sick first and then end up infecting him, not the other way around. I also end up infecting DH who needs to work and he's getting fed up with that too - he rarely gets colds on his own otherwise. I wash my hands all the time like crazy and sanitize whenever I can't, in the winter I always have a big scarf and try to cover my nose and mouth in crowded places; I've actually gotten paranoid and try to avoid crowded malls, indoor playgrounds, public transit, etc. as much as possible, and practically jump away if I hear anyone sneeze or cough. Just seems like my immune system is down and is not fighting anything off. I'm also exhausted a lot most of the time, even when not sick, and with no good reason.
I get 7-8 hours of sleep plus a nap sometimes, am not stressed (aside from the day-to-day stuff of parenting a toddler), don't have allergies or asthma, never smoked. I admit I don't eat the best diet, as in not enough protein, fruit and veg, and I'm a bit on the underweight side, but I've been this way for four years or so and only been getting sick in the last year. I do take a multivitamin and a vit D supplement. I've been to a GP and had my vitamin levels, iron, thyroid and sugar tested, all came back perfectly normal, also tested negative for celiac. He pretty much shrugged and said he can't tell me anything . What else can it be???
I'm sick of being sick...help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2012, 11:59 PM

7,288 posts, read 10,849,575 times
Can you experiment with a better diet and get more sleep (I know it's hard with a toddler)?

Your immune system seems to be depressed, as you indicated. You seem to have taken many factors into account . . .

I can't recall if you said you exercise.

If it were me and I could afford it, I would go to a good naturalpath, get some massages, eat a healthier diet, and drink a ton of water (to flush out your system). I would also drink lemon tea or eat lemons or somehow get lemons or limes into your diet.

How are your teeth? Do you have any cavities, gum disease, or infections?

How does your tongue look? (A good acupuncturist is another idea).

What do you think the reason is that you get sick so often? What is your theory (or if you don't know if you had to make some story up, what would it be)?

Old 12-23-2012, 05:12 AM

9,038 posts, read 14,316,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
I'm sooo sick of getting sick all the freaking time.
Seems like lately I get a cold once a month on average. Sometimes two in a row a couple weeks apart. Seems like all it takes is someone to cough or sneeze in the vicinity, or for me to get a bit chilled, and I get a sore throat, followed by exhaustion, congestion, dry cough, and all that nastiness. I do have a three year old so we're around kids a lot, where I probably get most of them, but the thing in spite of DS interacting more closely with the kids, I am still the one to get sick first and then end up infecting him, not the other way around. I also end up infecting DH who needs to work and he's getting fed up with that too - he rarely gets colds on his own otherwise. I wash my hands all the time like crazy and sanitize whenever I can't, in the winter I always have a big scarf and try to cover my nose and mouth in crowded places; I've actually gotten paranoid and try to avoid crowded malls, indoor playgrounds, public transit, etc. as much as possible, and practically jump away if I hear anyone sneeze or cough. Just seems like my immune system is down and is not fighting anything off. I'm also exhausted a lot most of the time, even when not sick, and with no good reason.
I get 7-8 hours of sleep plus a nap sometimes, am not stressed (aside from the day-to-day stuff of parenting a toddler), don't have allergies or asthma, never smoked. I admit I don't eat the best diet, as in not enough protein, fruit and veg, and I'm a bit on the underweight side, but I've been this way for four years or so and only been getting sick in the last year. I do take a multivitamin and a vit D supplement. I've been to a GP and had my vitamin levels, iron, thyroid and sugar tested, all came back perfectly normal, also tested negative for celiac. He pretty much shrugged and said he can't tell me anything . What else can it be???
I'm sick of being sick...help!!!
Medical doctors don't know anything about health as you found out. To get healthy you have to go see the kind of doctor who has studied that in medical school called a Naturopath. A naturopath would help you get rid of the toxins in your body that are keeping you worn out with a weak immune system and actually RESTORE YOUR GOOD HEALTH. Medical doctors are better at treating ACUTE situations not chronic and degenerative diseases and conditions. Listen to this Naturopath to understand the difference.

Detoxification: The Science, practice, and reality of: & The Healing Crisis - Part 1 - YouTube

Old 12-23-2012, 09:18 AM

19,822 posts, read 55,970,721 times
Whatever school a naturopath went to it was NOT "medical school" as most people know it. They go to their own schools, not schools like Harvard Med.

I heard Dr. Oz recommend Astragalus last Jan. for boosting your immune system. I decided to try it. I have not been sick since! Not a cold, not a fever, not a tummy ache, not a cough, not a stuffy nose. It's cheap, too. We have a Supplements forum where discussion would be appropriate.

Not to scare you, but has your doctor checked for leukemia?

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 12-23-2012 at 09:40 AM..

Old 12-23-2012, 09:51 AM

18,852 posts, read 31,698,893 times
Stress? How are things going in your life?

I had a period of years, when my immune system was shot, because of intense, contant stress. It is more fatiguing than you realize.

Lay off the carbs, drink more water, go have a massage.

One time, I had very little money, and had a very stressful week coming up, I splurged on a full facial, and massage. It was the best money I ever spent.

Old 12-23-2012, 03:51 PM

13,258 posts, read 36,394,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
I wash my hands all the time like crazy and sanitize whenever I can't, in the winter I always have a big scarf and try to cover my nose and mouth in crowded places; I've actually gotten paranoid and try to avoid crowded malls, indoor playgrounds, public transit, etc. as much as possible, and practically jump away if I hear anyone sneeze or cough. . . . I'm also exhausted a lot most of the time, even when not sick, and with no good reason.. . . I admit I don't eat the best diet, as in not enough protein, fruit and veg, and I'm a bit on the underweight side, but I've been this way for four years or so and only been getting sick in the last year.
I edited out all the unimportant stuff and kept in the important stuff.

You've answered your own question. The reason you keep getting sick, is you are sabotaging your own natural immune system. Your body has within it, all kinds of natural bacterium, that exist to fight off disease. Every time you sanitize, you kill that bacteria. Every day you keep yourself away from exposure to any possible illness, you prevent your body from building up antibodies. So that when you DO get exposed (such as - from your own child), your body isn't capable of fighting it off - and you get sick.

My suggestion:

1. Stop sanitizing completely and utterly. Throw out the antibacterial dishwashing detergent, toss the hand sanitizer, don't use antibacterial soap of any kind. The only "anti-" anything you should be using, is possibly a spritz of lysol in the toilet when it's time to clean it, and another spritz on the floor in front of the toilet where the guys always drip.

2. Take the scarf off, and breathe fresh air.

3. Expose yourself to dirt. I mean real actual dirt. I mean - sit on the grass, in the yard, with a trowel and a watering can, and make a mud puddle, and stick your bare hands in it, and make mud sculptures. If a worm crawls on your hand, say hello to it and gently put it back in the dirt. If some other bug crawls on it, calmly flick the bug away.

Your body NEEDS to rebuild its immune system. It can't do that if you are hiding yourself away from the world of bacteria.

I also recommend vigorous exercise - the kind that makes you sweat and breathe heavy. And strength training - the kind that makes your muscles sore the next day. This will also help you build your immune system.

Eat vegetables. Pinch your nose and shut your eyes if you have to. You shouldn't have to though - raw unshelled sweet peas are amazingly delicious, and very healthy. So are baked potatoes, skin-on, with just a smidge of butter or a palmful of shredded cheddar cheese.

Eat more protein. If you can't stomach red meat, try fish like salmon. If you can't handle flesh of any kind, try soy, or make a smoothie with chunks of pineapple, half a banana, a few ripe strawberries, some ice, tablespoon of whey powder or powdered eggwhite in it. Have a couple of those every week as a "dessert" after lunch. Make sure you add the powder - that's the protein. The rest is mostly vitamin C and natural fruit-sugar.

Keep starches (other than that baked potato, which is loaded with nutrition) to a minimum. Two slices of bread in a day - OR a roll to make your cheeseburger - OR a cup of linguini, etc.

Old 12-23-2012, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I edited out all the unimportant stuff and kept in the important stuff.

You've answered your own question. The reason you keep getting sick, is you are sabotaging your own natural immune system. Your body has within it, all kinds of natural bacterium, that exist to fight off disease. Every time you sanitize, you kill that bacteria. Every day you keep yourself away from exposure to any possible illness, you prevent your body from building up antibodies. So that when you DO get exposed (such as - from your own child), your body isn't capable of fighting it off - and you get sick.
It's a bit of a chicken-and-egg thing - I didn't use to be nearly as paranoid before I started getting sick all the time. Then when I kept getting sick, I figured I wasn't being careful enough - I kept hearing that the best prevention is washing your hands, therefore I figured I wasn't washing enough, and since getting to an actual sink it often difficult on the go, I started sanitizing all the time, especially after shopping and kiddie activities. Also once I've recovered from one cold, obviously the LAST thing I want is to pick up something else right away so I try to be extra careful. I am also terrified that I'll pick up something worse, like the flu or God forbid, stomach virus. We don't have family nearby now to help and the one time I had norovirus I was totally incapacitated for two days, as in I couldn't get up without fainting - if we didn't have my parents to take DS back then I really don't know what I would've done, and I'm absolutely terrified of picking up another one. In any case, it's not like I live in a bubble - I do go out and am exposed to plenty of germs all the time - stores, kids, playgrounds, etc, as evidenced by the fact that I keep catching these colds; I'm just trying not to add any more risk to that by transferring stuff on my hands.
I'm not afraid of 'real dirt' as you said - with a toddler, I get my hands in all sorts of dirt, grass, sand etc. regularly . It's the germ-infested indoor places with lots of people carrying god-knows-what-viruses that I'm scared of.

Quote:
Eat more protein. If you can't stomach red meat, try fish like salmon. If you can't handle flesh of any kind, try soy, or make a smoothie with chunks of pineapple, half a banana, a few ripe strawberries, some ice, tablespoon of whey powder or powdered eggwhite in it. Have a couple of those every week as a "dessert" after lunch. Make sure you add the powder - that's the protein. The rest is mostly vitamin C and natural fruit-sugar.

Keep starches (other than that baked potato, which is loaded with nutrition) to a minimum. Two slices of bread in a day - OR a roll to make your cheeseburger - OR a cup of linguini, etc.
I do eat a lot of starches - not amount wise, but as in it's a large proportion of my diet. I'm not a fan of red meat or fish and my protein is usually a serving of chicken or a couple of eggs, as well as yogurt, cheese, nuts. I heard starch and sugar are not good for immunity but I was really hoping it wasn't true , cause that's really probably the only thing I actually enjoy eating and crave - everything else I have to force myself to eat, but breads, pastry, pasta etc. I can eat at anytime and in any amount. I also have some digestive issues that make handling foods like veggies and fruit difficult, especially raw, while starches are easily absorbed and don't cause any trouble. I'll try some smoothies as per your advice, I've never tried protein powder before and wasn't sure how good it is for you but maybe it's a good solution. Thanks.

Old 12-23-2012, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Stress? How are things going in your life?

I had a period of years, when my immune system was shot, because of intense, contant stress. It is more fatiguing than you realize.

Lay off the carbs, drink more water, go have a massage.

One time, I had very little money, and had a very stressful week coming up, I splurged on a full facial, and massage. It was the best money I ever spent.
not that much stress really...I'm a sahm with one kid - granted a very stubborn kid who can push my buttons and make me very frustrated a lot of the time, but I wouldn't exactly call that stress.
I drink loads of water, but I do eat a bunch of carbs...

Old 12-23-2012, 11:53 PM

Oh, and I do exercise, but it's pretty mild, like 30-40 minutes of exercise bike 2-3 times a week plus a bit of weights sometimes.
Also since I've started getting sick so often I end up working out much less because I'm either sick, recovering from being sick, or weaker when I return to the gym and try to build my strength back up. I go a few times and then I'm sick again.

Old 12-24-2012, 12:28 AM

7,288 posts, read 10,849,575 times
You didn't say whether or not you are open to seeing a naturalpath or acupuncturist or nutritionist. The naturalpath would be the best first inquiry and could help you sort out your PARTICULAR problem.

I don't think you're being too germophobic, given your depressed immune system.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness