Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 12:09 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianeparodi View Post
Wow, a lot of people do damage to their ankle and lower leg. I fell 6 days ago, missed the bottom step
Dislocated ankle, broke bones in each ankle and the tibia. hopefully I'll get surgery soon, but Dr. is waiting for swelling to go down. The daytime is manageable with ibuprofen, but the nights are a misery. I have stronger meds, but really don't want to throw up. I'm wearing a fairly heavy splint which seems to aggravate the swelling. Just using wheelchair. I find sitting in a recliner and putting foot up on the table next to it helps. Dreading surgery. I assume I'll just feel worse, but we've got to get this process going. We watch 8 year old triplet grandchildren before and after school, so poor grandpa is doing all the work. I've decided to feel good by Christmas! Hopefully saying it makes it so.
Who knew saying, "I broke my foot or ankle" packed such a punch and is so debilitating! Good luck one and all and tread light fully and mindfully! (67 year) Pray for us in two weeks-summer vacation!
Don't be afraid to take stronger pain meds. If the ones prescribed for you make you vomit, ask for something different. Some people don't do well with codeine or similar meds but do okay with tramadol. You will probably need something stronger than ibuprofen right after the surgery when the anesthesia wears off. Some doctors will tell you not to take ibuprofen for two weeks before surgery because it can increase bleeding. When I broke my leg, they said I couldn't take ibuprofen until x-ray showed that the bone had filled in because they said it would slow healing.

About the grandkids, it's great that you are helping out with them but I really hope that their parents will make alternate arrangements while you heal. Summer camp, ymca, daycare at the school, something like that. If that's not financially possible, look at churches around you for vacation bible school and sign them up at a different one each week. Pain makes most of us grouchy and frustrated, and an injury that suddenly robs you of your mobility can make you feel really angry and hopeless, especially if you can't take pain meds that give you adequate relief, so it may be difficult to babysit while you're going through all of this.

Don't sleep sitting up in a recliner if you can help it...that's actually worse for swelling and it can raise your blood pressure. Get a wedge pillow to prop your feet while you're sleeping or while you're relaxing in bed (maybe put your tv set up higher so you can see it over the wedge pillow. They'll tell you to sleep with your leg elevated after surgery and the wedge pillow works a hundred times better than a stack of regular pillows, especially if it's the kind with the cover that won't slide around in the bed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 03:52 AM

1 posts, read 1,883 times
Default other half just out of surgery

My husband just had surgery yesterday for fractured tib/fib had plate and screws put in the pain he is in is unreal never saw him like that before hes still in hospital he did this over 2 and a half weeks ago and that was them just operating we go on holiday 6 weeks today and unsure if he will be fit to fly by then the surgeons told him yesterday they will remove everything in 3 months just wondering why they would do this anyone know

Old 07-07-2016, 03:22 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyberr View Post
My husband just had surgery yesterday for fractured tib/fib had plate and screws put in the pain he is in is unreal never saw him like that before hes still in hospital he did this over 2 and a half weeks ago and that was them just operating we go on holiday 6 weeks today and unsure if he will be fit to fly by then the surgeons told him yesterday they will remove everything in 3 months just wondering why they would do this anyone know
I wouldn't plan on a vacation in 6 weeks. The pain is unreal and the recovery takes longer than you might think. If you can't change your vacation plans or your husband insists on going, you'll probably need to rent a wheelchair for the airports and you'll need to make sure there's room for him on the plane, as far as room for his leg if it's in a cast that needs to stick out straight or room to elevate it or whatever he needs.

6 weeks after my leg surgery I wasn't walking and I wouldn't have been able to go on vacation. Even riding in the car was uncomfortable and if I didn't keep my leg elevated, it swelled up really badly. I would imagine flying could make that a lot worse.

As far as removing the hardware, sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. I still have a plate and a bunch of screws in my leg, 8 years after my surgery. The metal is sensitive to vibration and to weather changes. When the barometric pressure drops, my leg aches really badly. So maybe it's good that your husband will have the hardware removed.

Old 05-05-2019, 06:03 PM

2 posts, read 2,443 times
Default Reply to Ankle Surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by wattsupstacy View Post
Took the kids ice skating on Dec 27. My son fell into my skate and my foot and I fell in different directions. It's not just broken, it's Sofa King Broken! Shattered the ankle, broke tibia and fibula, and tore just about all the ligaments and tendons possible. Got surgery 24 hours later, stayed in the worst hospital ever until New Years Eve, and now I'm home. Besides being in excruciating pain non-stop, I am finding out how utterly useless I am. Depression is setting in big time. I've had my MIL and husband home from work but all that changes come Monday when she leaves town and he goes back to work.

I would to love to hear anything and everything about your experience, should you or someone close to you have been through it. I'm looking for tips on mobility, pain control, getting through day-to-day tasks, and staying sane through this very lengthy ordeal. Also, recovery time and phases, nutrition tips, vitamins, pretty much anything ya got.

Happy New Year, everyone.
Hey there🙋

I had Ankle Surgery on 3/19/19 n was n Hospital for 5 Days n almost Died due to Trauma n All the Meds they were giving Me😢 Its been Awful however I'm very Blessed to hav pulled through n to hav incredible Family n Friends👍

I hav learned to use a Walker n Wheel Chair n I hav a Knee Scooter which I hav yet to Use bc I'm n such Pain still that it's impossible😕The Best Advice I can give you is to keep Snkle Elevated, Read n take lots of Pain Meds😩 Knowone told me how much Pain was going to B. I cannot take very much Pain Meds bc they r Soo Strong but they do Help a lot!!!

Dr stated 4 mos in Boot n another 2 mos B 4I can Walk bc I hav Diabetes it takes longer to Heal n I broke 3 Bones n My Ankle due to a Fall. My Husband has got me taking 10 different Vitamins every Day n it has Helped so very very much!!! I'm so Grateful for this.

God Bless n 🙏

Old 05-05-2019, 06:08 PM

2 posts, read 2,443 times
Also if U want to know Vitamins to take they r; GNC Multi Vitamin Pak for Women over 50 (I'm 56) D3, B12, B12, Magnesium n their r 5 n each Multi Pak. I had Never taken Bitamins B 4 n Never had Broken a Single Bone n My Life��
Always n Great Shape n Extremely Active n Not Over Weight!!

Good Luck to U❤️

Old 05-17-2019, 04:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,148 times
well for cinco de mayo I slipped on some spilled oil inside my garage went to the ER where they put a splint , gave me pain meds and the next day I met with an orthopedic surgeon. I just had surgery yesterday for my broken fibula. I have never broken a bone in my entire life!!!! surgery seemed really scary but the staff is really good at making you feel good. after anesthesia and a nerve block the surgery was a success. for now, I guess. until the meds wear off from the nerve blocks that is, then im really in for a real Sh** show huh guys??? Anyone here ever go thru what I am currently?? any tips? I know I have a very long recovery ahead of me ….. with a 5 month old baby at home im sure you can imagine what im going thru.
depression??? god I hope not.

Old 05-17-2019, 06:58 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenDownMayra View Post
well for cinco de mayo I slipped on some spilled oil inside my garage went to the ER where they put a splint , gave me pain meds and the next day I met with an orthopedic surgeon. I just had surgery yesterday for my broken fibula. I have never broken a bone in my entire life!!!! surgery seemed really scary but the staff is really good at making you feel good. after anesthesia and a nerve block the surgery was a success. for now, I guess. until the meds wear off from the nerve blocks that is, then im really in for a real Sh** show huh guys??? Anyone here ever go thru what I am currently?? any tips? I know I have a very long recovery ahead of me ….. with a 5 month old baby at home im sure you can imagine what im going thru.
My only tip is that you may need help to take care of your baby. And hope your healing is as fast as possible. Sorry to hear this.

Old 05-18-2019, 09:30 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,582,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenDownMayra View Post
Start taking meds before the block wears off!! Also let your significant other/friend/parents etc help with the baby while you rest. I had knee surgery when my son was about 1 and it was awful for me but he was just fine. Snuggle with the baby when you can and ask if you can breastfeed on the meds (if you are). I was told I could with the ones they had me on. Hoping you have a speedy recovery!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness