Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 09:52 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,489,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Just wondering if any of you were immunized?
We were all immunized in our house, have one member with it now and hoping we won't have more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 09:55 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterbird View Post
My whole family has it right now. it's brutal.
Same here, it's been a rough 4 days so far. Immunizations for this strain are pretty much useless.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:10 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,489,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Same here, it's been a rough 4 days so far. Immunizations for this strain are pretty much useless.
Heard that from a very pro-flu vaccine pediatrician the other day.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:24 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
My husband and I got some germ killing hand gel to carry in our vehicles. We bought Lysol and put it in our vehicles too and have sprayed down our shopping bags as well as spraying inside the vehicle when we get in. We take that Airborne stuff after we've been out in crowds. We wash our hands often and pay close attention to others around us when we're in public. The other day a cashier waited on us and she was coughing and sniffling and rubbing her nose and eyes the entire time and putting her hands all over our stuff and our bags. We made sure we didn't touch our faces till we were able to put the germ killer on our hands and spray our car and bags down. You'd be surprised at how often you unconsciously touch your face!

So far so good. And like I said, no vaccines. We'll see!

Old 01-08-2013, 01:31 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,124,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
My husband and I got some germ killing hand gel to carry in our vehicles. We bought Lysol and put it in our vehicles too and have sprayed down our shopping bags as well as spraying inside the vehicle when we get in. We take that Airborne stuff after we've been out in crowds. We wash our hands often and pay close attention to others around us when we're in public. The other day a cashier waited on us and she was coughing and sniffling and rubbing her nose and eyes the entire time and putting her hands all over our stuff and our bags. We made sure we didn't touch our faces till we were able to put the germ killer on our hands and spray our car and bags down. You'd be surprised at how often you unconsciously touch your face!

So far so good. And like I said, no vaccines. We'll see!
We touch are face, hair many times a day and hands spread germs very quickly. I have been using hand sanitizer, And wiping down my desk, phone etc at work as others use it. (I am a Hotel Concierge and are on the front lines for transmission). I am hoping for the best too.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
We touch are face, hair many times a day and hands spread germs very quickly. I have been using hand sanitizer, And wiping down my desk, phone etc at work as others use it. (I am a Hotel Concierge and are on the front lines for transmission). I am hoping for the best too.
Good luck! All we can do is be as careful as possible. I am very unimpressed with flu shots in general. I mean, they've been "all the rage" for years now, but have our flu cases per capita actually decreased in the same time frame? I'll try to find out and get back on here with the answer.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:38 PM

Interesting article on the effectiveness (or lack thereof) of flu shots:
People’s Pharmacy: How effective are flu shots? - Columns - The Buffalo News

From the article above:

"We spoke with Tom Jefferson, M.D., the lead author of two key flu analyses by the Cochrane Collaboration. He noted that vaccination can reduce symptomatic illness but cautioned, “That does not mean that there is evidence that [flu shots] prevent deaths or person-to-person spread or pneumonia … but the evidence is of extremely poor quality.”

Most people assume that if they get a flu shot, they won’t get sick. That is the implied promise from public health officials. Jefferson suggests that may be overly optimistic. He points out that in healthy young adults for whom the shots work best, “you have to vaccinate between 33 and 99 healthy adults to avoid one case of influenza. … In healthy adults, the vaccines shorten duration of illness by half a working day.”

Old 01-09-2013, 06:52 AM

861 posts, read 1,455,219 times
I believe it. A lot of people here in my Florida town have been sick and I woke up sick with the flu myself this morning. My wife took our baby to my aunt and uncle's and will be with them for the time being.

It started out with really bad dry coughs that came out of the blue last night and wouldn't go away. I also felt unusually tired yesterday too. I'm dealing with the full 9 yards... fever of 102, headache, chills, etc. I can't even walk, I have to crawl.

A cousin of mine got the flu shot but got sick with the flu anyway. She's been sick for 12 days now and was the first one in the family to get sick. Then my nana got sick a week ago, then it spread to my uncle, his kids, another aunt of mine, my father and now to me...

Look how red the country is... http://www.google.org/flutrends/us/#US-FL

Last edited by CountryFisher; 01-09-2013 at 07:04 AM..

Old 01-09-2013, 08:39 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
Use the neti pot daily. And, Sambucol (original one, not Sambucus) has some research behind it. Tried posting link, but it doesn't work. Grrr. 2001 Pub Med study/use of elderberry, specifically Sambucol product, reduces flu from 6-7 days to 2-3 days.

Last edited by Nanny Goat; 01-09-2013 at 08:48 AM..

Old 01-09-2013, 12:29 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,124,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Nancy View Post
Use the neti pot daily. And, Sambucol (original one, not Sambucus) has some research behind it. Tried posting link, but it doesn't work. Grrr. 2001 Pub Med study/use of elderberry, specifically Sambucol product, reduces flu from 6-7 days to 2-3 days.
Wow great info. if it shortens the illness by that much that's great. It's not only physically exhausting battling the flu for over a week but frustrating, Esp for those who may not, For whatever reason have the sick time to cover it if they work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness