Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 10:54 AM

8,792 posts, read 15,228,972 times

Advertisements

*subject should read "blood"*

41yo here. I developed a blood clot in my calf after taking a car trip at the end of December. My calf became sore, but not painful. Upon returning to work last Wednesday, my leg became painful and very swollen (I teach elementary students and was on my feet a lot that day). I struggled through work again on Thursday and made it to an afternoon doctor appointment. Bloodwork was positive for the clot, so I had a Lovenox shot that afternoon and one again the next morning (Friday). I made it to the ultrasound appointment on Friday (struggled through the pain to get there and back) and then had to go back out later for more bloodwork and prescriptions. So, short story long, I'm giving myself the shots twice a day for 10 days, taking Coumadin, and I have to go back twice this week for bloodwork. I have a cane which helps get me from point A to B in the house, but the pain really builds. It's immediate if I stop and stand in one place (brushing teeth for example). Forget standing to take a shower. I pretty much get as far as I can before throwing myself onto a bed or couch, writhing in pain. It subsides after it has been elevated a few minutes.
For those who have experienced this before, how long did it take for the pain to start subsiding? I have plans to take 4 days off this week if I have to, but I hate to miss work for so long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 08:11 PM

16,880 posts, read 16,145,167 times
Sorry you're going through this! I've never had any experiences with blood clots, myself, but I've know people who have had them before. As I recall, it can take a while for the blood clot to dissolve.

Since the pain is so bad for you (clots can be painful), you should probably call the doctor's office first thing tomorrow morning. Maybe a compression stocking or a safe pain reliever med (ask your doctor before taking one)? Good luck and hope you feel better soon.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Sorry you're going through this! I've never had any experiences with blood clots, myself, but I've know people who have had them before. As I recall, it can take a while for the blood clot to dissolve.

Since the pain is so bad for you (clots can be painful), you should probably call the doctor's office first thing tomorrow morning. Maybe a compression stocking or a safe pain reliever med (ask your doctor before taking one)? Good luck and hope you feel better soon.
I have to go in for bloodwork tomorrow anyhow. I could email the Dr in the morning, but she already knows it hurts. I've been wearing a compression sock for a few days and have taken Tylenol.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:32 AM

49,954 posts, read 63,265,686 times
Once I had one that was very painful (groin). I can still feel where it was after 12 years. My second one (calf) was not painful at all after a few days. You are waiting for your body to reabsorb the clot, then presumably you will not feel it anymore. Sometimes, the body will not reabsorb the clot, but will just kind of encapsulate it and go around it. This is what happens to mine, so it might have something to do with how long the pain lasts.
When your doctor says to elevate your leg, he means REALLY elevate it, like put your leg up on the back of your sofa or up on the headboard of your bed. This really helped the swelling go away for me.
Good luck to ya.

Old 01-10-2013, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Once I had one that was very painful (groin). I can still feel where it was after 12 years. My second one (calf) was not painful at all after a few days. You are waiting for your body to reabsorb the clot, then presumably you will not feel it anymore. Sometimes, the body will not reabsorb the clot, but will just kind of encapsulate it and go around it. This is what happens to mine, so it might have something to do with how long the pain lasts.
When your doctor says to elevate your leg, he means REALLY elevate it, like put your leg up on the back of your sofa or up on the headboard of your bed. This really helped the swelling go away for me.
Good luck to ya.
Thanks. The swelling is gone, but still painful when I'm standing. I teach elementary students and am on my feet a lot, so I've stayed home this week.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:52 AM

Well, I've hit the one year mark. At six months I met with my doctor to discuss whether or not I should go off of the Warfarin (Coumadin). We decided, just to play it safe, to continue it another six months. Just before Christmas I had my annual cholesterol labwork done along with my monthly INR (blood thinner) check. We scheduled a phone appointment and during that we discussed going off the Warfarin. She was ready to discontinue it, but I mentioned that sometimes I get what feels like a muscle twitch in my leg. An ultrasound was scheduled for yesterday just to make sure it was all clear before going off the med, but she couldn't imagine they'd find anything after a year.

At the end of the ultrasound the radiologist had me talk to my doctor on the phone. She informed me that the clot is still there. . I know I will at least have to stay on the meds a while longer. Very deflating.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:51 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,278,431 times
Thanks so much for the update. I know it can be depressing to have to continue the meds, but no one needs to tell you that those meds saved your life.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:09 PM

Apparently there is more clot there now than when I started taking Warfarin 12 months ago.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:38 PM

Whoever sent me their comments (maybe TFW), I appreciate it.

I guess what concerns me is why it did not shrink over the course of the past year. My INR levels have even steady and my leg hasn't hurt since last January. My Dr emailed to tell me it is larger and that I should stay on Warfarin for another 6 months so I emailed back with my question.

At least she says I can keep going to the gym and don't need to change routine.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:46 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,278,431 times
Yes, I sympathized with you in my rep to you. (I thought I had signed it but apparently not.)

I dont understand how a clot can get larger if you're taking Warfarin. Warfarin doesnt break up a clot that has already formed but it's supposed to keep an existing clot from getting bigger.

I can imagine how frustrating it must be for the doctor to tell you that your clot is getting larger. But I wonder if maybe she miscalculated, or someone mis-read the test results, on the original clot. Have you considered getting a second opinion? If your body hasnt started absorbing your blood clot after a year, maybe another doctor can help you more than your current doctor is doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness