Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2013, 05:11 AM

400 posts, read 1,917,699 times

Advertisements

Since I was a kid I've suffered from eczema in my ears (not in the eardrum though) and am tired of trying anti-fungal creams, ointments or corticosteriods as they just hide the eczema but don't actually treat it.

I have heard tea tree oil works wonders. I'd like to try alternative medicine routes to treat my ear eczema as the itching and weeping is pretty intense. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 05:45 AM

468 posts, read 1,541,040 times
For nearly 20 years I had severe eczema on the tops of both feet. I tried everything that was available over the counter. I also tried putting vinegar on my feet, and soaking them in a bleach and water solution.

I finally went to see a Dermatologist. He took a biopsy of the skin and verified that it was in fact eczema. He gave me a prescription for Clobetasol. I put a very thin layer of the cream all over both feet three times a day.

Within two weeks my feet were about 80% healed. Within a month the eczema was gone and I had new skin on my feet where only sores and blisters were before.

I also get eczema on my ears. I put a thin layer of Clobetasol on them at night, three times a week, and it keeps the eczema from forming.

I know you wanted an alternative/natural solution. But, sometimes only pharmaceutical grade medication works the best and the quickest.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:14 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,078,663 times
Though not necessarily "alternative medicine", you may look at your diet. I had problems with eczema since I was a kid and the only thing that really helped was eliminating dairy out of my diet, now I hardly have any issues.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:06 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Maven View Post
I have heard tea tree oil works wonders. I'd like to try alternative medicine routes to treat my ear eczema as the itching and weeping is pretty intense. Any suggestions?
Try reading the below thread about eczema. One of the few natural treatments for it is sun and salt water, but you may not live near either of those. I'm sure you know that humid, wet climates make eczema much worse. I've also had it since childhood but have been helped by a prescription steroid cream. severe eczema

Old 01-11-2013, 06:35 PM

28 posts, read 178,697 times
My daughter had eczema all of her life and it was painful to see her like that growing up. We live in the area of 365 beaches and sunshine but it made her worse, especially when the weather was hot and the sand and salt dried out her skin and made her itch even more. @ the age of 19 she migrated to a colder climate and the eczema disappeared completely. We did the diet thing and that did not help. For many years i watched her suffer. A few months ago, i increased my running and then i developed eczema at the back of my knees, and my inner arm, by the elbow crease. Tried the beach and salt and didnt help, but doctor gave me steroid cream, and i reduced the running in the heat, and it went. This showed that eczema can come at any age, and what works for one may not work for all.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:15 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurette View Post
Tried the beach and salt and didnt help, but doctor gave me steroid cream, and... This showed that eczema can come at any age, and what works for one may not work for all.
You are certainly right about that. When I was in my early 20s, I had patches of eczema on my cheeks; it almost looked like misplaced blush make-up. One of my coworkers asked me if I drank a lot of orange juice and lemonade. I did. She told me to eliminate them from my diet for awhile and the eczema cleared up. I couldn't believe that too much citrus might have had an effect. (However, I'm not sure that would at a different stage of life.)

Old 02-14-2013, 10:31 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,640,761 times
I find Vicks Vapor Rub soothes my eczema.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:55 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times
Do not put tea tree oil in your ears! It will dry out your eardrum and make it brittle and then sounds will sound harsh. How do you know it's eczema? Were you dx'ed or do you just have severe itching in your ears and you figure it's that? My doc told me two things: 1. Do not clean the wax out too much b/c if you don't have enough you'll get . . . severe itching. 2. Use a mixture of 1/2 n 1/2 alcohol and vinegar and it's what's in the expensive eardrops at the drugstore she said. I did this and now my ears don't hardly itch anymore. And yes, I was using the TTO so I know what it does--doc was horrified when I told her.

Old 02-16-2013, 11:39 AM

1,978 posts, read 1,551,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron1999 View Post
For nearly 20 years I had severe eczema on the tops of both feet. I tried everything that was available over the counter. I also tried putting vinegar on my feet, and soaking them in a bleach and water solution.

I finally went to see a Dermatologist. He took a biopsy of the skin and verified that it was in fact eczema. He gave me a prescription for Clobetasol. I put a very thin layer of the cream all over both feet three times a day.

Within two weeks my feet were about 80% healed. Within a month the eczema was gone and I had new skin on my feet where only sores and blisters were before.

I also get eczema on my ears. I put a thin layer of Clobetasol on them at night, three times a week, and it keeps the eczema from forming.

I know you wanted an alternative/natural solution. But, sometimes only pharmaceutical grade medication works the best and the quickest.
I had some kind of rash suddenly appear on my wrist. My regular MD thought it could be a fungus, gave me an antifungal, it cleared up, but came right back. Dermatologist thinks it is eczema, gave me clobetasol and it is going away again. Hope it works.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:20 PM

289 posts, read 567,484 times
I didn't <have> eczema, I <was> eczema. Hypnosis worked for a while, and evening primrose oil for another while. Unfortunately, thirteen years ago I was exposed to mold and mildew at work for a month and I had an anaphylaxic reaction...things got so bad again I finally gave in and I'm taking an organ rejection drug that suppresses my immune system...and I'm <<still>> not clear. But I'd give hypnosis a try. Make sure they've had experience with eczema, tho. I was given the suggestion I was in salt water, because as someone said, ocean water was miraculous for me. I used to bring gallons of it home from the Cape.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness