U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 07:02 AM

Location: Life here is not an Apollo Mission. Everyone calm down.
1,063 posts, read 3,139,759 times
Default Hypothyroidism and foods

Despite being hypo for five years, I've done some recent reading and found new info (to me) about foods that suppress thyroid.

I knew about the problems with soy, but I was disappointed to learn today that walnuts, cauliflower, broccoli, spinach, strawberries and peaches, all suppress thyroid function.

Plus, I learned that I should only be drinking purified water as chlorine and fluoride in water also suppress thyroid function.

Thought I would share this info, as I would have loved to of learned this five years ago. I eat all of these foods daily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 05:16 PM

432 posts, read 1,264,288 times
I read somewhere that if you cook cruciferous (like broccoli) veggies, they are less goiterogenic and one serving a day shouldn't be a problem.

I love broccoli and used to eat raw cabbage, too...

Old 10-18-2007, 05:40 PM

8,776 posts, read 14,611,025 times
The only way to be truly safe is to quit eating food and just drink water. lol (just kidding)

Old 10-18-2007, 06:44 PM

8,560 posts, read 8,361,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainStreet View Post
Despite being hypo for five years, I've done some recent reading and found new info (to me) about foods that suppress thyroid.

I knew about the problems with soy, but I was disappointed to learn today that walnuts, cauliflower, broccoli, spinach, strawberries and peaches, all suppress thyroid function.

Plus, I learned that I should only be drinking purified water as chlorine and fluoride in water also suppress thyroid function.

Thought I would share this info, as I would have loved to of learned this five years ago. I eat all of these foods daily.
This is why Macrobiotics is so good because with it you learn the properties of each food so you can balance out the foods by their properties. For example, some are "heating and dry" Others are heating and moist others are cooling and dry while others are cooling and moist.

In mainstream America medical practitioners are not taught these things which are KEY to understanding what makes each of us sick or healthy. After all the Chinese have always said, "Our Food is our Medicine and Our Medicine is Our Food". Their understanding of how certain foods balance each other out and also how each food impacts our health explains why they are so much healthier than we are.

Old 10-19-2007, 04:59 AM

4,137 posts, read 9,818,838 times
I learned that raw coconut oil was very good for it. You may want to read up on it. I cut out all soy and spinach. The others I don't eat anyway. But I love peaches and would eat them anyway. I thought that almonds was on the bad list too?

emilybh,

Do you know of anyone that was cured of thyroid problems by using a macrobiotic diet? I would want to know because then I may try it.

Old 10-19-2007, 07:26 AM

Location: Life here is not an Apollo Mission. Everyone calm down.
1,063 posts, read 3,139,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
I learned that raw coconut oil was very good for it. You may want to read up on it. I cut out all soy and spinach. The others I don't eat anyway. But I love peaches and would eat them anyway. I thought that almonds was on the bad list too?

emilybh,

Do you know of anyone that was cured of thyroid problems by using a macrobiotic diet? I would want to know because then I may try it.
Yes almonds too. I just listed the foods I love. I've been eating walnuts everyday (on salads, on everything, out of the bag) for eight years. I prefer pecans, but pecans are soooo expensive. I've eaten raw spinach almost everyday for the same period of time.

I am encouraged that I can get a grip on this nutritional aspect of thyroid disease. My thyroid was radiated in 2002, I gained 90 lbs (recently lost 20 of that), but have always eaten raw foods, etc and not much more. This entire time I'm thinking I'm eating from the earth...the most natural form and it's been suppressing what little of my remaining thyroid.

You should have seen me the day I found out that soy was bad for me. I was drinking a half gallon every two days.

I knew about the coconut oil, but that too is expensive.

I want to thank everyone that responded. Thyroid disease is extremely common, yet I've had very little response when I've posted about it.

Old 10-19-2007, 01:34 PM

I know that raw coconut oil is expensive, but 3 T a day isn't much. Great that you are on raw foods. Some claim to have lost weight on it. I don't know because I haven't, but I can't say that I am eating correctly either as I just had 4 cookies and a candy bar today as well as some ravoli.

Last edited by Mattie Jo; 10-19-2007 at 03:16 PM..

Old 10-19-2007, 06:05 PM

253 posts, read 886,726 times
When you say "suppresses" the thyroid, to what degree? I mean, maybe the suppression is so minimal that a thyroid test taken at the start and end of a six-month period would really not show much of a change, like maybe 1 or 2 points?
Or do certain amounts of those foods (and how much?) counteract the benefits of the prescription meds some of us have to take?

Old 10-20-2007, 05:53 AM

good question mmckenna. Hope someone has an answer.

Old 11-03-2007, 11:38 AM

1 posts, read 21,897 times
That is a good question. I just recently realized I have an underactive thyroid. I say realized because I knew it before I went to the Endocrinologist. I've done all my research and knew a lot of things that he didn't. He was both shocked and embarrased. I dont want to take any thyoid replacement hormones so I hope to be able to change my diet.
How the heck am I gonna cut out walnuts and pecans, spinach, broccoli? I'm going to do some research on how much it suppressed the function. How bad can it be? Thyroid disease seems like a complete self sabotage.

Your whole metabolism and digestive system slows down, but fiber "suppressed" thyroid function, yet helps with digestive problems. Thyroid medication can also promote osteoporosis, yet calcium slows absorption of the hormone. What CAN you do that won't counter-act itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness