Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 09:49 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,813,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
Yes only one mammo has been done. I'm not so much worrying about the sonogram. I can understand wanting more details but seeing a breast surgeon afterwards is the part I don't understand, unless something is wrong.
Thanks for prayers.
I would say they are setting you up with a surgeon to see if it needs to be removed, and by making the appointment now even if the sono rules out the need you have saved time getting an appointment. Again don't assume the worst, you don't have enough information to do that. I know that's easy to say and difficult to do, but truly it will most likely be fine. Still praying for you, be well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 10:49 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,335,694 times
Thanks Irishmom,
I didn't think of it like that.
I'll keep you all updated when I see what happens next week.

Old 10-23-2007, 06:28 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,373,422 times
songinthewind7
You are in my prayers take care and God bless you

Old 10-23-2007, 03:58 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,449,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
I would say they are setting you up with a surgeon to see if it needs to be removed, and by making the appointment now even if the sono rules out the need you have saved time getting an appointment. Again don't assume the worst, you don't have enough information to do that. I know that's easy to say and difficult to do, but truly it will most likely be fine. Still praying for you, be well.

Hey Song-

Is there definitely an "it"? It sounds to me like they have you running around having all these diagnostics performed without even telling you WHY or giving you a description of what they are finding.

I'd ask why if I were you and I'd also not go under the knife without a second opinion from a PROVEN Naturopath and possibly not before having a Thermogram which the Europeans have been using for EONS. They are MUCH more accurate in diagnosing potentially cancerous growths than Mammograms and they are completely SAFE unlike Mammograms.

Under the direction of an experienced proven naturopathic doctor or practitioner, you can probably dissolve away whatever growth is there with natural medicines and a diet change for a while -- with no trauma to your body from surgery.

Remember, to a carpenter, everything looks like a nail. To a surgeon everything needs to be cut open and removed. The surgery can always be done after you've tried everything else.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleleigh View Post
songinthewind7
You are in my prayers take care and God bless you
Thankyou, MichelleLeigh.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:25 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,877,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
Yes, I have had one. There is nothing to them. However, I have some questions. Have you gotten a first opinion/report from your original mammogram or physician?

Before you get too upset, sometimes these breast programs have automatic referrals to breast surgeons built into their protocols.

I think it is RIDICULOUS that they made your appointment for the 29th. It is irresponsible to have you worried for two weeks! Call tomorrow, demand to know what the original report says and then demand to be seen with a sonography appointment IMMEDIATELY. The squeaky wheel does get the grease; it's your body so don't be shy.

Try not to be worried. The statistics are in your favor. I will send you a PM.
I agree!! My wife had a suspisious shadow on her mamography in 2006 and the Dr. had an immediate sonogram done. Turns out it was breast cancer and because it was caught so early, she had an immediate lumpectomy and 14 months of chemo. She's cancer free, all her scans are normal (Sonogram,bone scan and pet scans). The key is catching it early and getting treatment right away.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Hey Song-

Is there definitely an "it"? It sounds to me like they have you running around having all these diagnostics performed without even telling you WHY or giving you a description of what they are finding.

I'd ask why if I were you and I'd also not go under the knife without a second opinion from a PROVEN Naturopath and possibly not before having a Thermogram which the Europeans have been using for EONS. They are MUCH more accurate in diagnosing potentially cancerous growths than Mammograms and they are completely SAFE unlike Mammograms.

Under the direction of an experienced proven naturopathic doctor or practitioner, you can probably dissolve away whatever growth is there with natural medicines and a diet change for a while -- with no trauma to your body from surgery.

Remember, to a carpenter, everything looks like a nail. To a surgeon everything needs to be cut open and removed. The surgery can always be done after you've tried everything else.
I'm not sure if there's anything wrong yet. After I get the sonagram this coming Monday, I'll take the films of that and my mammo to the breast surgeon. At this point, I'm hoping and praying that this turns into nothing but I'm not about to be cut without trying something else first. If it comes to that, I'll contact the naturopathic doctor in Austin.
I picked up a book yesterday that talked about Therograms and that is the way to go. Apparently, mammograms don't always pick up everything. Scary.
I called and talked to my doctors nurse again the other day trying to get some kind of decent answer, other than 'we send all our patients there that have an abnormal mammogram'. I'm still debating on whether or not to take my films to this surgeon or not.
Anyway, surgery is the very last thing I want done and especially chemo and drugs. Forget it.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:48 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,449,841 times
Have whatever it is out if you want but just make sure you remember that conventional doctors and surgeons only treat symptoms. Whatever cause "it" to form in the first place hasn't changed. The only expert who can make sure the CAUSE is addressed and eliminataed, whether it be some virus lurking in your body or a trace mineral imbalance, hormone imbalance, yeast overinfestation in your blood, etc, is a Naturopathic Doctor. That is why I'm glad I went to a Naturopath after I had my lump - that turned out to be a benign fibroadenoma -out.

So many people don't realize it but it really is possible to make your body so healthy that cancer can't possibly survive there. It is all a matter of starving what is feeding the cancer and strengthening your immune system so it can fight it off on its own. Usually Dairy and Sugar and refined wheat are all culprits that need to be cut out during healing.

Ever since learning so much about natural medicine over the past 15 years, I've always decided that if there was to be another growth found on my body, I'd just go on the cleanest diet I could and take whatever natural medicines that would be called for if it was cancer.

I've met people into Macrobiotics who are so empowered by their diet that they've said they don't eve bother with health insurance anymore -- which I think is silly because a diet can't protect you agaisnt a broken leg.

Anyway what really makes me mad is the medical establishment taking advantage of and preying on the fears of women. They get pushed into invasive extremely expensive treatments that sometimes just end up killing them before the cancer would. Look at this from one of Dr Mercola's website and a summary of what the International Gynecological Society found out about Tamoxifan --- that it CAUSES CANCER!

Also a former editor of the New England Journal of Medicine said

Shocking Revelation -- This Cancer Drug CAUSES Cancer
Tamoxifen is a drug that binds to your estrogen receptors. Therefore it was thought that it could prevent excess estrogen binding, hence halting cancer from forming.

It is generally prescribed to high-risk women to prevent breast cancer, and is usually taken for five years.
However, Tamoxifen has been found to cause cancer instead. According to a study published in the International Journal of Gynecological Cancer, the treatment of breast cancer with tamoxifen results in an increased risk of uterine cancer incidence and mortality.
This is just one in a growing line of studies published, raising serious concerns about the increased risk of uterine cancer for women who take tamoxifen as a cancer preventive drug.
Despite these concerns, tamoxifen is still on the market.
Sources:
International Journal of Gynecological Cancer 2007

[CENTER][SIZE=1]Click to Continue[/SIZE]
[/CENTER]

Dr. Mercola's Comments: Since October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, let’s spread some real cancer awareness. Western medicine’s approach to cancer treatment is based on profit, not safety and effectiveness.
Let’s recap just a handful of the numerous deadly conventional cancer drugs on the market, and then I’ll share with you the best cancer-avoidance techniques I know.
Cancer Drugs – All Hype, Very Little Substance
Prices for new cancer therapies have skyrocketed. Cancer drug costs rose nearly 16 percent in 2006, while other prescription drugs averaged a 3 percent price increase.
But are they worth it? The fact is, these expensive medications often give patients just a few more months of life – and sometimes they kill people prematurely.
Take a look at these examples.
  • AVASTIN – Avastin, when used to treat colorectal cancer, sold for $50,000 per year. However, once it was approved to treat breast and lung cancer as well, Genentech announced a new price tag: $100,000 per year, even though it may extend your life by no more than a few months.
  • ERBITUX – Another colorectal cancer drug, with a price tag of nearly $10,000 per month, even though there is not a single study showing it helps colorectal cancer patients live longer.
  • EVISTA (Raloxifene) -- This Eli Lilly drug was found to prevent breast cancer by one-third in a study of more than 10,000 postmenopausal women. Your true cost? Trading your breast cancer prevention for a 50 percent increased risk of fatal strokes and blood clots. Ironically, Evista was once sold as an osteoporosis drug, being illegally promoted for treating cardiovascular disease back in 2002.
  • GLEEVEC – Also sold under the name Glivec. This cancer drug, used to treat leukemia, unfortunately also kills heart muscle cells, which may cause fatal congestive heart failure.
  • ABRAXANE – A new version of an old cancer drug, Taxol, sells for $4,200 per dose. The older version, which has similar effects, costs 25 times less.
The financial sacrifices you might make in order to afford a “miracle” cancer drug can be staggering. But what you need to know is that these exorbitantly priced drugs do not in any way, shape, or form, treat the cause of your problem, and pharmaceutical companies earn billions of dollars on this deception.
It seems that the more serious and life threatening the disease, the more expensive your drug solution is. The very vocal former editor of the New England Journal of Medicine, Dr. Marcia Angell, sums up the situation brilliantly: "It's really exploiting the desperation of people with a life-threatening illness."
So, how can they get away with charging such astronomical prices that only the very wealthy can afford? In case you were not aware of it, it’s a very specific strategy. The trick is to have your insurance company pay for it, or their main backup, YOU, through the federal government and your taxes.
This kind of behavior is the reason why the United States spends more than $2 trillion every year for healthcare, and it is ruining the American economy in the process -- all due to corporate greed.
Making matters worse, as soon as a drug company comes out with a more expensive alternative, that’s the pill they’ll promote to both you and your physician. Suddenly, they want you to believe the older drugs are virtually worthless even though just a few years prior, when they were the new kid on the block, they were being heavily promoted as your latest and greatest must-use approach.
How to Prevent Cancer
Is it possible to prevent cancer? Yes. It is possible. But not by swallowing a chemical cocktail.
A more sensible, safer, and less expensive approach is to simply make some lifestyle changes. Even the American Cancer Society – which is as traditional as medical organizations come -- now suggest you can achieve a 62 percent risk reduction with simple lifestyle changes, including:But, one of the skills my father drilled into me from early childhood was: “Never settle for second best.” Why would you settle for a meager 62 percent reduction?
I believe you can VIRTUALLY ELIMINATE your cancer risk if you follow these risk reduction strategies, even though they have not been formally "proven" yet by conservative researchers, including:
  • Control your insulin levels: Make certain that you limit your intake of processed foods and sugars as much as possible.
  • Get appropriate amounts of animal-based omega-3 fats and make sure you use cod liver oil if you don't have regular access to sun exposure.
  • Get appropriate exercise. One of the primary reasons exercise works is that it drives your insulin levels down. Controlling insulin levels is one of the most powerful ways to reduce your cancer risks.
  • Normalize your vitamin D levels with safe amounts of sun exposure, or use a safe tanning bed. Alternatively you could use oral vitamin D and carefully monitor blood levels to prevent overdose.
  • Eat according to your nutritional type. The potent anti-cancer effects of this principle are very much under appreciated. When we treat cancer patients in our clinic, this is one of the most powerful anti-cancer strategies we have.
  • Have a tool to permanently erase your neurological short-circuiting, which can activate cancer genes. Even the CDC states that 85 percent of disease is caused by emotions. It is likely that this factor may be more important than all the other physical ones listed here, so make sure this is addressed. Energy psychology seems to be one of the best approaches and my particular favorite tool, as you may know, is the Emotional Freedom Technique.
  • Only 25 percent of people eat enough vegetables, so by all means, eat as many vegetables as you are comfortable with. If you are a carb metabolic type you may need up to 300 percent more vegetables than a protein metabolic type.
    Ideally, they should be fresh and organic. However, please understand that, frequently, fresh conventionally grown vegetables are still healthier than old and wilted organic ones. They are certainly better than no vegetables at all.
  • Maintain your ideal body weight.
  • Get enough high-quality sleep.
  • Reduce your exposure to environmental toxins like pesticides, household chemical cleaners, synthetic air fresheners, and air pollution.
  • Boil, poach, or steam your foods, rather than frying or charbroiling them.
Save your health and your money. You work too hard to waste either one on man-made "miracle" drugs and cures.

Old 10-24-2007, 12:50 PM

50,336 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I am having an ultrasound next week to check out a suspect spot on my routine mammogram. I know it won't hurt. I am just trying not to worry it is something bad until I hear otherwise. Dr. says it could just be a benign cyst.
Good thoughts to you.

Old 10-24-2007, 01:07 PM

5,167 posts, read 11,434,314 times
Good thoughts to you Gentlearts... I hope it turns out to be exactly that, a benign cyst.

On the subject of mammograms.. I am currently looking to find a doctor that does not push mammograms, because I highly doubt that they do any good, in fact I worry how much breast cancer they do cause. I think the danger of irradiating your breast EVERY year after 40 is downplayed all the time. And there are studies that show that the only thing that has really changed is that cancer is diagnosed more and earlier. After 5 years, you are declared "cured", but if the cancer comes back 6 years later... then what did you gain? It is all very confusing... I guess eyeryone needs to decide for themselves. If you believe mammograms are important - by all means - get them. But I have my doubts. It doesn't seem like a good idea to do this every year. When are we finally going to focus on PREVENTING breast cancer, instead of just diagnosing and treating it? How about cleaning up our environment, food supply (get rid of hormones and pesticides etc). All of this influences the cancer rates. But that would hurt industry...isn't that what it is all about in the end, the almighty $$$?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness