U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-19-2007, 12:13 AM

1 posts, read 8,032 times

Advertisements

I hate being a whiny person, cause I truly believe Levothyroxin (generic Synthroid) has helped in some ways. However, I am not sleeping, because I hurt. My my legs hurt, my neck hurts and my arms hurt. There is some swelling on the top of my arms near the elbow (feels like carpel tunnel type thing). Now this hurt, is not unbareable, it is not extreme, but it is enough that it keeps me awake at night. Is this normal? Does anyone else experience this? I have been on the drug for a month now. I was diagnosed with Hashimotos disease after they did many tests, and also found a goiter, and found that my thyroid was not doing its work. I am uninsured, so am paying my way thru all this testing, set up on payment arrangements. I was very thankful the medication was affordable. I am trying not to go back to the doctor so I thought I would see if anyone is experiencing, or did experience this? If it is a common side effect? I am hoping it goes away in time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2007, 05:30 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,165,552 times
I was diagnosed with hashimotos. I changed things about my diet, and now my thyroid is normal. I am not saying it is cured, because the doctor said, "Maybe now it is going to become hyperthyiodism." I will have another test in a few months to see.

I am against synthetic thyroid drugs and would suggest you ask for Armoir or something like that. I refused it because mine was too mild. I would also suggest if you are eating soy products to get them out of your diet, make sure you are getting some iodine, and then use raw coconut oil. There are some good books out on thyroid problems. I have two that I would like to suggest:

What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Hypothyroidism by Ken Blanchard Md., Phd.

The Thyroid Diet by Mary J. Shomon

While this website doesn't list your symptoms as side effects, it doesn't mean that it isn't from the drug.

Synthroid Side Effects, Interactions and Information - Drugs.com

Levothyroxine side effects

Stop using levothyroxine and get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat. Call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:

headache;

sleep problems (insomnia);

nervous or irritable feeling;

fever, hot flashes, sweating;

changes in your menstrual periods;

appetite changes, weight changes;

Other, less serious side effects may be more likely to occur. You may experience mild hair loss. Side effects other than those listed here may also occur. Talk to your doctor about any side effect that seems unusual or that is especially bothersome.

Old 10-19-2007, 02:37 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,165,552 times
Quote:
The assertion that coconut oil can cure hypothyroidism appears to be untrue.

The idea that coconut oil could cure an underactive thyroid was promoted in a 2003 article in Woman’s World magazine as well as other materials on coconut oil; however, the sources for these pieces have been questioned. According to experts at Mayo Clinic, “there is no evidence that coconut oil stimulates thyroid function. In fact, some research suggests that coconut oil may have a negative impact on the thyroid.”
in view of my last statement on coconut oil, I am posting this.

Coconut Oil - MSN Health & Fitness - Cholesterol (http://health.msn.com/centers/cholesterol/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100143200 - broken link)

But here is one that says the opposite:

Pure Virgin Coconut Oil - The Smarter Fat That Helps Promote Weight Loss

Last edited by Mattie Jo; 10-19-2007 at 02:46 PM..

Old 10-20-2007, 08:37 PM

2,674 posts, read 3,937,403 times
It takes time to find the right dosage. Once your TSH is in range those symptoms should dissipate. Watch your diet, research it on the web, and as a poster mentioned, avoid soy and soy products. If it has soy in it don't use it.
I think W-mart now offers Levothyroxine for $4.

Old 10-21-2007, 01:45 PM

8,569 posts, read 8,896,002 times
Maybe it is time to go see a Naturopathic Doctor. Remember, conventional allopathic doctors are only trained to treat symptoms of disease and if you have a chronic condition, all they can do is prescribe drugs that you'll be on the rest of your life. The drugs suppress the symptoms but the problem is always there. With a conventional doctor, they help you live with the disease. It is great for the medical doctor because you have to keep going back to him or her for the rest of your life to get prescriptions for the medicaltion.

On the other hand, a Naturopathic Doctor with a proven track record helping patients get their thyroids working again can actually help you FIX your thyroid, like the poster above said via changing your diet and using natural safe medicines without side effects.
It is your choice. Keep going to medical doctors for the problem and you'll have the problem your whole life. Go to an N.D. and get rid of the problem once and for all -- and get your robust health back.

Naturopathic Medicine Internet Resources

If you want to save time looking. I use a naturopath with a 25 year track record curing so-called "incurable" diseases (incurable only by western medicine). He and his associates have patients all ov er the world and consult via phone appts. If you are interested, PM me and I'll send you their website and contact info.

Old 10-22-2007, 03:02 PM

12,547 posts, read 12,059,590 times
You may have another autoimmune disease. You might just need a anti-inflammatory for the pain. I feel for you because I have ins and the tests are still expensive. I am glad they are working with you.
It is not uncommon for a person to have 2 or more.
RA causes pain like that Lupus, MS also not to scare you.
The goiter should go down with thyroid medication somewhat/or completely.
I still have a small one. I was first on synthroid it did not work for me. Then Armor did not work for me, Levoxyl and Cytomel works for me.

When I was diagnosed I hopped on the internet and went to all the autoimmune diseases/Hypothyroid/Hashimoto sites I could find.

Also don't be afraid to be assertive with your Dr. if they are not listening to you!
Because the symptoms can make you crazy sometimes.

Also watch the carb intake it affects hypothyroid metabolisms differently. Also cabbage family foods eat in moderation, Spinach, broccoli, cabbage, you can find a list of foods that affect thyroid medications on the web.

Old 10-22-2007, 04:30 PM

372 posts, read 1,016,212 times
I also have Hashimoto's. How long have you been on the Levo and how often are you tested? For me, when I start having those symptoms (major muscle aches) it usally means my dosage needs to be adjusted.

Old 10-25-2007, 04:14 PM

12,547 posts, read 12,059,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCruzes View Post
I also have Hashimoto's. How long have you been on the Levo and how often are you tested? For me, when I start having those symptoms (major muscle aches) it usally means my dosage needs to be adjusted.
Is this to me or the OP?
I have been on Levo for 7 yrs approx. I am tested every 6 mos. They test for more than thyroid stuff.
I get tested for Pernicious anemia, rbc,wbc, etc. creatin stuff. a host of things. I can fish out an old test page and look to see exactually if you would like.

Old 10-25-2007, 06:46 PM

437 posts, read 85,812 times
How about visiting your physician (MD, DO)

Old 07-31-2008, 01:03 AM

1 posts, read 7,482 times
I would like to know more about the type of Dr. you are referring to. I have Hash's and I have many flare-ups. I am so trying to find a good vitamin line that has what we need without the soy, iodine, and now I just found out that iron could be an issue! What next. I'm so tired of looking and researching about this for 4 years. I just want to feel better. I do also eat fiber and I guess that too is not good. I would love more info. from you if you have the time. Thank you ~ Jodi S
Moderator cut: no posting email addresses

Last edited by Suzet2262; 08-01-2008 at 12:45 AM.. Reason: posted email address
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness