Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2013, 02:54 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,679,941 times

Advertisements

Could someone pls explain to me the relationship between drug reps, nurse practitioners, the gimmicks (like free lunches and invitations to dinners at upscale restaurants).

I work an outpatient program that serves the mentally ill. For 7 years we had an MD that prescribed medications to patients and possibly gave them injections. Just before this MD left us we had reps from drug companies invite us to upscale restaurants to dinners. then we got a new Nurse Practitioner who does the same as the MD did except that there is always a lot of activity with drug reps around her office. Last year there was a constant thing with invites to restaurants but that seems to have leveled off.

How does this work? what goes on at the dinners like when the drug reps and Nurse go out? do they discuss new contracts with the agency? what is the purpose?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 10:45 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
I would guess that the drug reps are offering incentives to get you to use their products...maybe even a discreet little payoff of some kind...like wining and dining, vacations etc.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:08 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,547,056 times
Payoffs are illegal.

Generally drug reps are providing education about the products they represent, and that can be at a reasonable meal - if there is a seminar or some other sort of educational event.

Also, the drug rep will usually provide samples to the clinic, so that patients can try the drug without a cost barrier to see if it is effective for them.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:21 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
You're right, they are illegal...doesn't mean it doesn't happen though.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:24 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
Could someone pls explain to me the relationship between drug reps, nurse practitioners, the gimmicks (like free lunches and invitations to dinners at upscale restaurants).

I work an outpatient program that serves the mentally ill. For 7 years we had an MD that prescribed medications to patients and possibly gave them injections. Just before this MD left us we had reps from drug companies invite us to upscale restaurants to dinners. then we got a new Nurse Practitioner who does the same as the MD did except that there is always a lot of activity with drug reps around her office. Last year there was a constant thing with invites to restaurants but that seems to have leveled off.

How does this work? what goes on at the dinners like when the drug reps and Nurse go out? do they discuss new contracts with the agency? what is the purpose?

Such meals typically involve an educational presentation describing a new product and given by someone with expertise in prescribing the new drug. Regulations require that the meals be "modest" and served in an environment conducive to discussion of the product. Attendees can also discuss their experiences with the medication and even whether they prefer alternatives.

The doctor (or NP) is free to prescribe or not prescribe the drug. There is no money paid to the doctor or NP to use the drug. Obviously, the drug company hopes that the medication will be used, but there is no guarantee that a specific doctor will do so.

In general, a new drug must either be more effective, have fewer side effects, be more convenient to use (meaning it is more likely to be taken), or cost less. Doctors are aware of patients' desire for the most cost effective threatment. Often that is an old standby generic. Many docs will also prescribe a larger dose size and advise a patient to split tablets in half, though that will not work with some delayed release medications.

Doctors are pretty good at evaluating a new drug and finding the appropriate use for it --- which may be not to use it at all.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:55 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I would guess that the drug reps are offering incentives to get you to use their products...maybe even a discreet little payoff of some kind...like wining and dining, vacations etc.
Since in fact you are "guessing" and have no real idea what goes on folks should give this opinion the attention it deserves....none.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:07 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,342,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post

If you're interested, why not ask the nurse practitioner?

Old 01-28-2013, 06:27 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
If you're interested, why not ask the nurse practitioner?
Best possible response to this question, although Briolat explained it accurately as well.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:30 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,547,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
You're right, they are illegal...doesn't mean it doesn't happen though.
Yeah, sure. And embezzlement is probably going on at a percentage of American Businesses right now (statistics suggest that at least) -- but since I have no knowledge of that, I don't like to basically slander people I don't know on the interweb.

If people don't like Pharma - that's cool. If people don't like Nurses/Doctors/NPs/PAs/Drug Reps -- that's also cool. But I wish people would stop before they make the leap from "I personally dislike" to "I'm going to snidely insinuate something illegal is probably happening in a situation I know nothing about".

Annoying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness