Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 11:24 PM

389 posts, read 616,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
The shorter lifespan is not so clear cut! There are a variety of lifestyle factors that impact life expectancy not just for HIV positive people but those who are negative. For those who are positive, If you are treated early and maintain a healthy lifestyle life expectancy does not have to be shortened much at all for HIV positive individuals. Indeed in some cases, because of constant medical scrutiny, it is possible we can outlive our HIV negative peers. For those who are negative, smoke and eat like crap expect a lower life expectancy on average as well!

AIDS is not HIV btw..

Top Stories : An Almost Normal Life Expectancy for People With HIV?
Is your access to fancy antivirals the reason you are living so long with a deadly disease? I mean, are you fighting off other viral attacks like the ones that cause cancer and have some advantage over the uninfected who don't take these nightly pills? If the drugs aren't so bad today, can't we all get them out of fairness, one: to not catch aids from bus rides or paper cuts, two: extend everyone's life? Or would this restore AIDS deaths back to normal if 10+ years was added to everyone's life across the board, not just AIDS peoples, which goes against the red ribbon agenda?

Old 01-31-2013, 04:02 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
I must admit I almost don't know how to respond to this post. Firstly are you being silly or you just don't know much about HIV/AIDS?

If I didn't take ARV's my immune system would gradually be destroyed by HIV and I would develop AIDS and die. The reason why I most likely will live an almost normal lifespan is because I was diagnosed early on and treated early on before the virus was able to damage my immune system. At this point the ARV's are decimating the virus and it only exists in dormancy. My viral load is undetectable and my immune system is strong as it does not have to combat HIV it is essentially like any normal immune system in a negative person. The pill essentially puts me on a level playing field.

The best way to prevent HIV is through protected sex and not sharing needles. Bus rides or paper cuts should be the least of your worries and borders on nonsensical.

ARV's are specifically targetted towards HIV - if you take them and you are negative they WON'T help you in any way other than potentially give you unnecessary side effects. Is there a reason to take the chance.

I don't have cancer so therefore i'm not going to go on chemotherapy for fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SETI_listener View Post
Is your access to fancy antivirals the reason you are living so long with a deadly disease? I mean, are you fighting off other viral attacks like the ones that cause cancer and have some advantage over the uninfected who don't take these nightly pills? If the drugs aren't so bad today, can't we all get them out of fairness, one: to not catch aids from bus rides or paper cuts, two: extend everyone's life? Or would this restore AIDS deaths back to normal if 10+ years was added to everyone's life across the board, not just AIDS peoples, which goes against the red ribbon agenda?

Old 01-31-2013, 07:15 PM

I already looked into prophylactic chemo and there is no such thing. I guess from my original question I learned cold and flu viruses make it past AIDS drugs, and since I got someone's attention that takes these pills, maybe you're immune to something I'm not. If I could add 10 years to my life with these pills, I'd so cheat on an AIDS test to start getting them for free.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:05 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,598,476 times
Are people really this ignorant?

Old 01-31-2013, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Are people really this ignorant?
Lack of knowledge, yes. Tell me: if I took home wire in the hardware store and got stuck with a shard the same employee did while cutting it, and they had AIDS, these pills would protect me from their infection. They say yes. If AIDS people are going to prepare my food and cut my wire and scrape their hands on the same sharp corner of a bus I do, I think it's fair to offer viral prophylaxis to everyone, especially if the drugs add 10 years to your life. Right?

Old 01-31-2013, 09:39 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,598,476 times
Okay you know HIV doesn't survive very long outside of the human body right? The chances of catching it given your description are basically 0. Maybe you need to research how you actually get HIV (not as easy as you think if you don't have unprotected sex or share needles) before you worry yourself too much.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:48 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,227,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SETI_listener View Post
Lack of knowledge, yes. Tell me: if I took home wire in the hardware store and got stuck with a shard the same employee did while cutting it, and they had AIDS, these pills would protect me from their infection. They say yes. If AIDS people are going to prepare my food and cut my wire and scrape their hands on the same sharp corner of a bus I do, I think it's fair to offer viral prophylaxis to everyone, especially if the drugs add 10 years to your life. Right?
Not sure what is worse

Your incredible ignorance regarding HIV and AIDS along with complete lack of understanding on anti retroviral therapy

or

Your blatant disregard and obvious enmity towards people suffering from an incurable disease that affects every facet of a person's life.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:50 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
This thread has run its course. closed.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness