Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 01:19 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times

Advertisements

It can damage his kidneys over time.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 05:44 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
OP Here's some information that may be helpful if you don't already know it about pros and cons:

Prednisone Information from Drugs.com

Old 01-29-2013, 06:08 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,738,916 times
It also leeches the calcium in your body, causing brittle bones, etc. He should be taking calcium supplements.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:24 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,436,414 times
I don't know what you're calling a low dosage... I took 30mg on alternate days for a long time, many years. Then things calmed a lot and I only used 10mg on alternate days.

So far as your dad's body drooping... as people age, gravity goes to work. Jokes abound about women's breasts sagging, but, men sag, also. If he felt like walking, it would help.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:08 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,560,028 times
I think he takes 10-15mg a day. I am now wondering if he is not taking enough. He is taking Calcium supplements. Thanks for all the advice. I am going to visit him this weekend. Hopefully he will be open for discussion on this.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:57 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times
My wife has been on Prednisone for 30 years, she has lupus and Rhuematoid Arthritis and hasnt been able to get off it . She takes a low dose usually and much higher when her chronic diseases flares up. She has been up to 40 milligrams for a few months at her worst. Usually she is on 5-10 mg when her chronic conditions are dormant. She has had kidney issues twice and takes the calcium supplement. This is one of many meds she is on for her condition.... its a miracle drug in many ways but is nasty long term with side effects.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:36 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,738,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
My wife has been on Prednisone for 30 years, she has lupus and Rhuematoid Arthritis and hasnt been able to get off it . She takes a low dose usually and much higher when her chronic diseases flares up. She has been up to 40 milligrams for a few months at her worst. Usually she is on 5-10 mg when her chronic conditions are dormant. She has had kidney issues twice and takes the calcium supplement. This is one of many meds she is on for her condition.... its a miracle drug in many ways but is nasty long term with side effects.
Has her doctor tried Remicade or Humira yet?

Old 01-30-2013, 10:15 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,847,469 times
Hi all--

I was on it for about nine months in 2007 due to an Advil-caused allergic reaction which had, paradoxically enough, shut down the kidneys.

I completely blew up, putting on 40 pounds in a month, before I went on an aggressive diet and exercise plan - and even then, I just stopped the weight gain. No amount of diet and exercise allowed me to drop any weight the entire time I was on.

I bruised easily, got stretch marks everywhere, couldn't sleep at night, had wild mood swings, and had a big round face.

And when the Dr.'s cut the dosage from a high of 80mg, I had the strangest withdrawal symptom - truly debilitating knee pain which sent me to the ER two days after the dosage had been cut to 40mg. It took me many months to get off it completely.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:25 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,958,267 times
I was on that once, sent me into adrenal failure... Coulda died.. Felt like I was for days never been that sick in my life. IMO that stuff kills you from the inside out . I'd talk to his doctor about dosage or maybe changing to something else. I was on 40 mg for 5 days the. Was just cut off no weaning .. Within hours I was out of my mind hallucinating , sweating, shaking, vomiting etc. that went on for 2 days before my husband took me to the doctor ( yah I about killed him!).. I ended up trying to gt off it for months and months only being able to come off 1 mg at a time . After I was in the ER and endocrinologist being tested for adrenal failure that is!

Old 01-30-2013, 01:13 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
I don't know what you're calling a low dosage... I took 30mg on alternate days for a long time, many years. Then things calmed a lot and I only used 10mg on alternate days.

So far as your dad's body drooping... as people age, gravity goes to work. Jokes abound about women's breasts sagging, but, men sag, also. If he felt like walking, it would help.
I was wondering about his age as well. I know meds can play havic on our bodies, but age will set in sometimes faster than we realize. We can feel great one year and before we know it the body just gets tired out. Housework is harder, doing the gardening is tough if you can do it at all and even those daily walks, especially up hill can be shear misery. The worst part, this happens over a short period of time. One fall you are busy raking leaves and getting ready for winter, the following spring (6 months later) you are doing good to last 30 minutes working in the yard. and yes, men's bodies do face the gravity thing just like ours. So OP, it might be simply caused by the aging process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness