U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-02-2013, 02:29 PM

2,804 posts, read 3,308,724 times
Default Odd Congestive Feeling?

Firstly, I want to say that I do not have allergies, sinus problems, asthma, colds often, never a smoker, etc. About a month ago, I started noticing a feeling of congestion. My sinuses are not completely clear/open. At night when I lay down, I feel a closed-up, weighed down feeling in my neck area, but I still fall asleep pretty quickly like I always have. When I wake up, my sinuses are clearer. Even during the day, I may feel a pressured-typed feeling. I have to take a deep breath with my mouth open at times. It's kind of hard to explain the feeling...like something's not quite right.

A couple nights ago was a more intense of the above...almost a feeling as if the throat is going to close up & I won't be able to breathe, but it never happened.

I haven't been sick lately. I don't know what this is. Does anyone know?

I like having plants in the house for their oxygen benefits, but they've been slowly dying lately due to my slacking on the watering. I have 3 plants & have thrown out 2. I plan to get more again & maybe I should have 1 in my bedroom.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 06:45 PM

3,838 posts, read 5,261,724 times
Wondering if this sinus congestion might not be due to dry air inside your home due to heat running more during the winter? Might think about adding some moisture (humidifier or such) to your bedroom--and change the filters on your furnace if you have filters.

And have your tried a Neti pot or saline inhaler? That might reduce swollen nasal passages and help, too, with easier breathing.

That's all I can think of....

Old 02-02-2013, 06:57 PM

3,489 posts, read 4,371,235 times
You could have allergies, that is a very common feeling with allergies. You could be allergic to many different things, you don't have to have a runny nose or sneezing, there are a wide variety of symptoms depending on what you are allergic to. The throat feeling is also a common allergy feeling.
My kids and I have a variety of allergies, my symptoms vary from a stuffy nose to a drippy nose to an extremely clear nose, with a heightened sense of smell. Sometimes my throat feels clogged or I have a (frog) in the throat feeling. I also get a pressure in my face at times, sometimes one side feels more clogged than the other, everything you can think of with allergies. I rarely sneeze from it though.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:06 PM

55 posts, read 72,238 times
I 'm concerned that you may have a couple of problems that could be considered . Firstly, I wonder about your weight and the potential of sleep apnea? Secondly, You present the outside possibility of CHF (congestive heart failure) . You did not mention any edema in the lower extremeties so we can most rule that out . Fungal conditions can create vague congestive problems. Without knowing your job,environment,history,diet or overall health. Lastly as a Respiratory Therapist I have a background in culturing humidifiers especially in winternamely the drum type and ones in line with air ducts. Actinomyces is a fungal growth that once airborne can cause symtoms until it causes everyone in the house a pneumonia. Tap water often has a slight amount of gram negative bacilli (pseudomonas). Be careful with water period.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:05 PM

2,804 posts, read 3,308,724 times
Thanks guys, especially you Yeshuareigns! Maybe I should get a humidifier. I had one at my parents' house before I moved. I do know that I should lose weight & the last 3 times I went to the dr, my blood pressure is slowly creeping up. Yes, my diet isn't too great. I know, I need to make some changes NOW. I just turned 38 too, so I'm not getting any younger!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness