Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2013, 12:18 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,304,813 times

Advertisements

I have a loss that is hard to correct because it is hard to get clarity in the output of the hearing instrument. Sufficent volume is not a problem unless someone speaks real low. Inspite of the fact that new hearing aids are digital with all kinds of fancy bells and whistles all they really do is amplify sound. The bells and whistles help if a person has small hearing loss. But if their loss is anything like serious those bells and whisltes are useless and all hearing aids end up to be basically the same in that they amplify sound. But that is because hearing aids are mass produced. It is like buying a pair of gloves from a store or having a pair of gloves made especially for your individual hands. So I am wondering if someone might have their own lab or any info on that. There was a guy in Pennsylvania around Greensburg that did that but I never stopped in to get any info. I wish I had done that.

Also, I have to mention that hearing aid dealers sometimes advertise hearing aids as being special made to fit. But what they are talking about is the ear mold is specially made to fit ones own ears and they arn't talking about the circuitry being special made for an individuals hearing loss.

Also, some hearing aid dealers advertise that they give a person a month to wear it and if you don't like it you can return it. Of course that is by law that they have to do that and it isn't their goodwill.

I will also mention that advertising and claims made by hearing aid companies(and other technical and scientific agencies) are usually way ahead of the fact. Minnesotal Mining got sued because they advertised as having digital hearing aids(some years ago). People were flying all the way to Minnesota from Texas and other states to get the new hearing aid and all the aid did was cut sound down when it got to loud. Nothing else? It was no big deal for a hearing aid user. Digital is just numbers like 1, 2 etc. But by their advertising it sounded like a breakthrough for hearing aid users which it wasn't.

Anyway, any info will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 12:31 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,794,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
I have a loss that is hard to correct because it is hard to get clarity in the output of the hearing instrument. Sufficent volume is not a problem unless someone speaks real low. Inspite of the fact that new hearing aids are digital with all kinds of fancy bells and whistles all they really do is amplify sound. The bells and whistles help if a person has small hearing loss. But if their loss is anything like serious those bells and whisltes are useless and all hearing aids end up to be basically the same in that they amplify sound. But that is because hearing aids are mass produced. It is like buying a pair of gloves from a store or having a pair of gloves made especially for your individual hands. So I am wondering if someone might have their own lab or any info on that. There was a guy in Pennsylvania around Greensburg that did that but I never stopped in to get any info. I wish I had done that.

Also, I have to mention that hearing aid dealers sometimes advertise hearing aids as being special made to fit. But what they are talking about is the ear mold is specially made to fit ones own ears and they arn't talking about the circuitry being special made for an individuals hearing loss.

Also, some hearing aid dealers advertise that they give a person a month to wear it and if you don't like it you can return it. Of course that is by law that they have to do that and it isn't their goodwill.

I will also mention that advertising and claims made by hearing aid companies(and other technical and scientific agencies) are usually way ahead of the fact. Minnesotal Mining got sued because they advertised as having digital hearing aids(some years ago). People were flying all the way to Minnesota from Texas and other states to get the new hearing aid and all the aid did was cut sound down when it got to loud. Nothing else? It was no big deal for a hearing aid user. Digital is just numbers like 1, 2 etc. But by their advertising it sounded like a breakthrough for hearing aid users which it wasn't.

Anyway, any info will be appreciated.

I could recommend some really good hearing aids ;but that might violate the TOS here and constitute advertising.
What I can tell you is a hearing aid is not a magic wand and perhaps your hearing loss is such that no hearing aid will suffice for your particular situation.
Hearing aids can and are programmed for the individual by qualified audiologist.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:09 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Yeah my hearing aides are programmed to accommodate my hearing. Loss of clarity is a *typical and common* complaint among the hearing-impaired, and hearing aides are *designed* to correct that loss of clarity. There -are- hearing aides that are nothing more than amplifiers. However, if yours are from an actual doctor's prescription, and fitted for you by an actual audiologist, and not one of those "Miracle Ear" chain stores, then you will have your loss of clarity corrected.

I have degenerative nerve damage in my ears, so loss of clarity is pretty significant for me. I can hear people talking, but it always sounds like they're mumbling. I use lipreading to supplement my hearing, and that usually works. That's without the aides. With the aides, I don't have to use lipreading - I can hear everyone speaking sharply - and if it's too loud, I turn the volume down and the "quality" of the voices is still as sharp and understandable.

If you're not experiencing the same thing, OP, then go back to the audiologist who sold you the aides and have them adjusted. If your aides are over 5 years old, it's possible that your hearing has changed and you need a new pair. If your audiologist doesn't do adjustments, or your aides aren't programmable, then you might just have to suck it up and get an actual doctor's prescription for a programmable pair. They're expensive, but they will eliminate your complaints.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness