Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2013, 12:46 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,374,430 times

Advertisements

I have been checking my blood pressure more often lately and when I am at home and check it the readings seem to be OK. However, if I am at a supermarket or pharmacy and use the blood pressure monitors there they often read 20 points higher than what I read at home. Those readings are clearly in the hypertension level, while my home readings are in the healthy level. To be sure I and doing it right at home, I even use two different monitors I have to make sure one isn't misreading and they both are pretty close.
Could it be I am just more nervous when I am at a store causing a higher reading?
Anyone else have this experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 12:56 AM

44,627 posts, read 61,603,272 times
Different activity levels and hypertension levels during the day will give you a big swing in BP numbers. That's not unusual.
To get your most accurate average for the day you need to be sitting comfortably after a quiet rest period and then take your BP.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:38 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Mine is always much higher shortly after eating a meal. Also, higher at the drug store machines, due to both the activity level of walking into the store, and the stress of just being in the store environment.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:55 PM

37,111 posts, read 41,250,908 times
The store machines tend to be inaccurate. I would not use one.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/blood-pressure/AN00567

Old 02-13-2013, 06:57 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
Different machines, exertion, stress, time of day and even different reading on other arm all in my experience. Once my left arm had incredibly high reading then just 5 minutes later on right arm it was normal....

Old 02-14-2013, 08:59 AM

3,074 posts, read 4,725,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Different activity levels and hypertension levels during the day will give you a big swing in BP numbers. That's not unusual.
To get your most accurate average for the day you need to be sitting comfortably after a quiet rest period and then take your BP.
Good point. My Dr. gave me a monitor to take home. She told me to take BP
once every other day, at different times (AM, PM, and Noonish).
Took it back after 3 weeks and she checked readings for an average. She
said that is the most reliable indicator she has found, but nothing is perfect.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:32 AM

178 posts, read 355,411 times
It happens due to certain reasons. when you are check your bp while sitting in your home the readings are ok but at supermarket or pharmacy your reading will be a bit high, thats because of the comfort level you have at your home & at pharmacy and somehow the nervousness which increases your heart beat. also different activities throughout the day can make BP swing. different machines can vary in readings at a same time too. make yourself comfortable and relaxed then get your bp test done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness