U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-26-2013, 03:45 PM

4,193 posts, read 4,939,918 times

Advertisements

I am on amoxicillin for my root canal and I was wondering if it was ok to have a glass of wine or two with dinner while taking it. I have heard in the past you are not supposed to have alochol while on antibiotics, but I didn't see anything on the drug information and another site said that was more of a myth. Just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 05:27 PM

599 posts, read 377,210 times
No alcohol drinking with medicines /antiobiotics !

Old 02-26-2013, 05:41 PM

2,808 posts, read 1,381,134 times
the alcohol interferes with the ability of the moxy
to kill bacteria/fight infection.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:48 PM

10,381 posts, read 9,965,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I am on amoxicillin for my root canal and I was wondering if it was ok to have a glass of wine or two with dinner while taking it. I have heard in the past you are not supposed to have alochol while on antibiotics, but I didn't see anything on the drug information and another site said that was more of a myth. Just curious.

Alcohol and Amoxicillin

"While there may be other reasons to avoid alcohol while you are sick, there are no known drug interactions between alcohol and amoxicillin. There is also the belief that alcohol will make amoxicillin less effective. This is also not the case."

Old 02-27-2013, 06:25 AM

2,462 posts, read 5,659,007 times
Nice post suzy, I couldn't think of any reason myself why alcohol would be particularly bad with amoxicillin (amoxicillin is not particularly hard on the liver, unlike some other drugs) - so was glad to see your link.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:26 AM

49,633 posts, read 41,818,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
The warnings on the meds will say, no alcohol, most likely, but a glass of wine should not interfer with cause any negative reaction when taking antibiotics. Like most warnings they are meant to protect from the most unlikely effects...BTW, I did get my information from 2 doctors: one in our family and one that is a good friend. If you are still concerned, I would skip the wine for a few days... Remember we are talking a glass of wine, not a bottle..

Old 02-27-2013, 07:34 AM

523 posts, read 2,000,943 times
Quote:
a glass of wine should not interfer with cause any negative reaction when taking antibiotics
while this is true for amoxicillin, it is not necessarily true for other antibiotics - there are many that do have an interaction with alcohol which should be taken seriously - consumption of alcohol while taking some antibiotics can either make the abx work less, or make the effects of alcohol worse, or can potentiate the adverse effects of the abx - the classic example being metronidazole (Flagyl).

the number of potential abx for which there is some issue or other with alcohol is probably the origin of the idea that ALL alcohol should be avoided when taking ANY abx - but to reiterate, alcohol with amoxicillin is fine.

it does beg the question, though, since the course of abx is normally limited to around a week, wouldnt it be a good idea to lay off the alcohol for that period of time anyway?

Old 02-27-2013, 07:38 AM

28,114 posts, read 23,778,550 times
Nothing will happen.

NEVER drink alcohol with flagyl. That's the only caveat I have.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:42 AM

49,633 posts, read 41,818,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kronenborg View Post
while this is true for amoxicillin, it is not necessarily true for other antibiotics - there are many that do have an interaction with alcohol which should be taken seriously - consumption of alcohol while taking some antibiotics can either make the abx work less, or make the effects of alcohol worse, or can potentiate the adverse effects of the abx - the classic example being metronidazole (Flagyl).

the number of potential abx for which there is some issue or other with alcohol is probably the origin of the idea that ALL alcohol should be avoided when taking ANY abx - but to reiterate, alcohol with amoxicillin is fine.

it does beg the question, though, since the course of abx is normally limited to around a week, wouldnt it be a good idea to lay off the alcohol for that period of time anyway?
Well that depends; if the OP feels good, is going out for dinner and wants to enjoy a glass of wine, why shouldn't she? If she has a drinking problem, maybe she can't go a week(only kidding) but regardless, a glass of wine certainly isn't like drinking ones self into obligian..I guess my point is: we are not hear to advise others on their drinking habits, but she just asked a question about the safety of mixing the two.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:09 PM

4,193 posts, read 4,939,918 times
well thanks for the advice.

I was on the antibiotics due to a root canal. I did enjoy a glass of wine with my friends however I did not drink the whole thing due to the fact it made my stomach burn. I think this is because I can't really open my mouth enough to eat/am really really sore so I can only eat mushy foods and soup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness